Ecoboost Owner Forums

Some spring wrench turning Rock Auto lost a customer and change your PTU fluid!!

This past week had a full set of perf spec shocks struts and Eibach spring kit ready for install along with a 170 thermo, new EBC rotors, and fluid for the front PTU and rear diff (my car has 77k) the rear end went well with the rear springs and shocks going in good to go along with the rear diff fluid being swapped out without it appearing too bad. Now the fun part was after pulling off the front strut. I had checked the boxes which were clearly marked with separate part numbers that ended up being both for the same passenger's side.

I figured no prob Rock auto is good to go, I'm sure they will realize their mistake in sending the wrong part that I requested and paid for. When I contact them they told me there was nothing they could do , not even split the expedited replacement shipping so I wouldn't be without a car. They told me they could not ship until the return was scanned so I did. I was then told they would not have a replacement for 7 to 10 days. I was ripped!! i ended up with an ebay back up plan and had one shipped out, glad i did as I was emailed today that they in fact were not shipping a replacement and would simply refund my credit. I had good luck with them for years too bad they decided to suck.

Now to the PTU Fluid, If you have not replaced your fluid with 35k or better I highly recommend you do as I took the fill plug out (front p/s wheel well access, I noticed what was once 18oz of fluid was now a grey paste consistent with cake frosting. Even after using a vacuum tool I was only able to remove a fraction of it. I ended up topping it off with 10oz of clean stuff, and found on another website a pic of a PTU taken apart after a failure again looks like the fluid turns to paste and adheres to the internals and walls. Pics to follow!!

This definately seems to be the weak link in our drive train. I had an AWD Fusion before the SHO and the PTU went out at 35k.

When you fill it do you add until it comes out the fill hole or is it 1 inch below?

I filled it to the bottom of the fill hole plugged it when it stopped weeping out. I'll be doing it again in a month in hopes the new stuff will loosen up the thick crud.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2309[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2310[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2309[/ATTACH] some pics from the shocks/struts/ I opted for the Performance Package replacement shocks and struts, eibach spring install also shown is the "hat" that sits on the spring, I found upon removal that they actually has bearings in it so I swapped them out too. The final product stance with the new set up.

post-266-142532292255_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292259_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292262_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292268_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292274_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292255_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292259_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292262_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292268_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532292274_thumb.jpg