Ecoboost Owner Forums

Drying towels

I gave the SHO a quick wash yesterday after driving up to Jersey over the weekend. Found my first ding in the car (looks like a bug or rock nailed the front part of the hood, now have a slight ding with some paint nicked out of it). I broke out my new detailing toys I've bought over the past two weeks (been switching over from Zanios to Adams stuff, since my Zanios stuff is several years old) and I winded up using some microfiber towels from Chemical guys that I got off Amazon, as seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQYCJNU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyways I was disappointed with the way they worked...they absorbed alot of water, but also left alot of streaking behind. I broke out my USA made cotton towels I bought back when I got the Mustang and they worked much better.

So I am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't be using these towels to dry my car off with and just use them for detailing spray or to wipe off wax with?

The key is that the towels you use to dry the car need to be a little damp before you dry the car.

I solve this by using my fresh towles to dry the windows first all the way around the car. usually takes me 3 towels (100% cotton fluffy bath towels with no decrative edges). then i shake out those 3 twels and use them to dry the car.

You can also use the sheeting method (if not using a waterless wash) to greatly minimize water remnants (YouTube has examples). These days, people use waffle weave microfiber cloth to completely dry the car. Something similar to the Viking product you find on Amazon, but even higher quality.

Cotton towels can marr paint. My car only gets touched with microfibers.

Agree, cotton towels will leave swirl marks...microfiber really is the only way to go. I also will use Quick Detailer, giving a spray to the area I'm going to dry, seems to do a couple of things, leaves the dry area shinier and also seems to help displace the water and make drying easier. It may be my imagination, but I really think the Detail Spray helps a lot.

mark:

I agree w/ you 100% on detailer spray. I have rarely waxed my old 2002 Stratus & used detail almost every week or 2 & paint job looks like new. It seems to build up a wax base with having to work hard on the paint like regular wax does. Newer waxes are a lot better than older ones, but love the mist detailer.

mikev

I do buy it by the gallon' date=' since I use so much and so often. Use it when just going over the car, use it when drying after washing, use it when doing clay bar, and also use it to mist polishing pads, and microfiber clothes for product removal.[/quote']

Yes, Yes and Yes...the Adams Detail Spray is the icing on the cake!!! If you are not using it...well go get some!!!!!

Once again, GREAT RECOMMENDATIONS from the crew!! A few things that will help: 1) Use the sheet rinse method like these guys said, eliminates a TON of standing water, leaving less water on the surface. 2) Use a WAFFLE WEAVE towel for drying, our Great White is DESIGNED to pull water off the surface & into the pockets of the towel. A bath towel or terry cloth towel is never a good idea unless you're trying to induce scratches. 3) Some type of forced air into the cracks & emblems is awesome. Whether it's the MetroVac Sidekick we sell, or a basic leaf blower, it helps dry the tricky areas.