Ecoboost Owner Forums

X pipe added with high flow down-tubes?

I have OEM catless down pipes, with a catless X pipe, with stock resonator and stock mufflers, and unless you are outside the car, or going down a small alley with the windows down, its sounds 100% stock. If outside the car, it has a little bit more of a hollow sound, and you can hear the turbo spool a little.

Wow. Can't really get into the V6 with pipes on a taurus sedan. I think I will leave the exhaust stock and quiet.

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

With the stock mufflers in place it should sound the same, maybe slightly louder with the 3rd cat gone.

Yes, there will still be a bottleneck in the exhaust but not as bad as stock. With the 2.5 inch downpipes and X pipe, it should flow better. I'm also set when I want to change the whole exhaust to 2.5 inch, you need to work towards a goal.

ALL Be Warned. It seems that I am having an issue with the Variable Valve Timing on the SHO after the install of the downpipes. I hear a tinning, buzzing noise now when it is adjusting the timing under a heavy load.. I have been told its because I am running catless with a straight through magnaflow exhaust system. So if you are going catless and running a straight through system with a xpipe like mine, you are DEFINATLY gonna hear a sort of heat shield rattle or buzzing sound under a load. I was told the only way to fix this was to put on a Magnaflow x-pipe muffler where the NESHO xpipe is... More money I am going to have to drop now!!!!

With the stock mufflers in place it should sound the same, maybe slightly louder with the 3rd cat gone.

Yes, there will still be a bottleneck in the exhaust but not as bad as stock. With the 2.5 inch downpipes and X pipe, it should flow better. I'm also set when I want to change the whole exhaust to 2.5 inch, you need to work towards a goal.

Ok, so I went out and took 2 videos, first is on a stone cold engine, so when the idle is high you can hear the turbos spooling, but goes away about the 50 second mark. Everything sounds much louder, and you are mostly hearing the engine because its in a garage with all the doors shut.

th_7BE4A7C9-6FCD-4665-B193-7170A8E98117-4417-000005B54213B1A7.jpg

2nd video, is after I let the car idle for about a minute or two, so its not on a stone cold engine anymore, and it sounds totally stock.

th_52C725B4-BB6D-4C88-898E-0B6C76CDF5CA-4417-000005B700DD21E9.jpg

Ok, so I went out and took 2 videos, first is on a stone cold engine, so when the idle is high you can hear the turbos spooling, but goes away about the 50 second mark. Everything sounds much louder, and you are mostly hearing the engine because its in a garage with all the doors shut.

2nd video, is after I let the car idle for about a minute or two, so its not on a stone cold engine anymore, and it sounds totally stock.

Kolk what mufflers are you running? My DynoMax just by themself sounds more grunty than your down pipe. But I want the down pipe for more HP not just sound. In fact for road trips (& keep the OLD LADY happy) I put the stock mufflers back on just for the soft sound.

Mine's slightly louder and raspier with the new catted downpipes and third cat modification. I bought a greyhound X-pipe but didn't like the construction, and the third cat is basically a large X/H pipe with an interior mod (easy on a lift or remove the exhaust from the car).

The stock third cat design would flow better than the x-pipe I bought and didn't require welding. Inside the car is just slightly louder.

Pictures of the X-pipe not installed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2368[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2369[/ATTACH]

post-895-142532292315_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532292321_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532292315_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532292321_thumb.jpg

I know what the dynomax sounds like, but just doing mufflers does basically nothing for Hp. It's only for sound. I've ran OEM mufflers on full 3inch catless exhausts before and the power difference was so minimal if I took them off, that I usually keep them because I prefer the quieter sound.

If I was doing it just for sound, then I would of done the dynomax mufflers. I would be curious to hear my setup with them though. Even if somebody local let me borrow there's for an hour to put them on my car to hear them first with no cats. Then bolt my stock ones back on.

ALL Be Warned. It seems that I am having an issue with the Variable Valve Timing on the SHO after the install of the downpipes. I hear a tinning' date=' buzzing noise now when it is adjusting the timing under a heavy load.. I have been told its because I am running catless with a straight through magnaflow exhaust system. So if you are going catless and running a straight through system with a xpipe like mine, you are DEFINATLY gonna hear a sort of heat shield rattle or buzzing sound under a load. I was told the only way to fix this was to put on a Magnaflow x-pipe muffler where the NESHO xpipe is... More money I am going to have to drop now!!!![/quote']

My front pipe was off about 1/2 inch and I bolted it up to the Third cat. When I started the car there was a buzzing sound around 2500 RPM. I unbolted the pipe at the third cat and "tweaked" it so that it lined up perfectly, no more buzzing.