Ecoboost Owner Forums

Couple interior detailing questions on the SHO

I was doing some cleaning/detailing/dressing of my interior of this weekend and had a couple questions:

What's the best way to take care of the suede seats? How do you clean them? Is there anything you can apply to them to help protect them?

What's the best way to clean the piano black plastic under the MFT screen? I used some interior cleaner with a microfiber towel and noticed very slight swirl marks in it?

I have a slight mar in the cover for the cupholders....its not a scratch or anything (don't feel anything), but using cleaner and a microfiber towel didn't take care of it. Would a light plastic polish take it out? Any other suggestions?

I found this regarding the seats: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22261-alcantara-cleaning.html

Regarding the plastic interior, I did some searching and read through some other forums and it looks like there are a number of potential options. The overarching theme is taking the least aggressive approach first, but a lot of people referenced Meguiar's PlastiX and 205. I have not tried any of these products on interior trim, so I cannot speak from experience, but thought I would share what I saw out there. Hopefully the detailing pros that are active on this forum will chime in with their expertise.

would like answer as well on scratches. on the pseudo suede insert, i asked serv mgt whose my brother-in-laws bud. he said soap & water only. I normally would have when i got it cleaned it real good & soaked it with Scotch-guard. He said got to be careful of any residue build up, as that's where heating & cooling seat mechanisms are & don't want anything building up in them Said they should last for ever since made up of reconditioned plastic bottles & they last for ever. Really not the answer I wanted as want to protect them but that's what I got.

I have not tried to clean the suede parts of the seats, but I think Adam's Leather and Interior cleaner sprayed on a damp cloth is what I would try, that way it won't be too strong and shouldn't hurt the seats. As far as the console and interior plastic pieces...I have tried Meguiar's PlastiX and was not pleased with the results. I then tried a very small amount of Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover, followed that with Fine Machine Polish...(applied by hand) and that seemed to work better, although it did not remove all the marks but did get most of them.

I have not tried putting anything on the seats to protect them, since I really have no prior experience with the suede, but mine seem to be staying clean with just regular vacuuming. Also, I have used a capful of Spic & Span to a gallon of water to clean marks in the carpet and it worked really well, it's a very weak solution, so it doesn't hurt the carpet....I suppose you could try that to clean the suede since it is such a weak solution, when I make this I will then dip a clean cloth into the solution and rub gently to remove any marks...it may take a few times going over the same spot to get it removed, but I have not ever had it damage anything that I've used it to clean.

Just had another thought about removing marks from the console and other plastic parts, you might try the product that comes in Mother's Headlight Renewal Kit...can't remember the name of the product, but it can be applied by hand, and from my experience it does a great job with the headlights, so if a small amount would be put on a cloth it may do OK with the interior swirl marks/scratches.

I can tell you that this is a Ford fix for plastic scratches. We used it when I used to work at fords old instrument panel plant before the stupid bean counters sold it....

novus1.jpg

Outstanding, I already have this since I build models and its great for polishing clear plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a drill, our 4" Focus pad, white, would work KILLER with our Fine Machine Polish:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-140-adams-fine-machine-polish.aspx

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-747-adams-focus-4-fine-machine-polishing-pad.aspx

I use this combo ALL the time when detailing fine interiors, and it works every time flawlessly!! :)

You can very easily use our Leather/Interior cleaner on the suede inserts, you'd be good to go:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-adams-leather-interior-cleaner.aspx

As far as a protectant, I WISH we had something, but as of right now, we don't. Personally, when it comes to this, I use Wolf's Chemicals Textile Sealant on my clients cars. :)

I just ordered the 2oz kit of novus from amazon. I figured for $7 it was worth a try. I'll post some before/after and 50/50 shots when it arrives.

Here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366078104&sr=8-3&keywords=novus+plastic+polish

I got a chance to test out the novus plastic polish kit this evening.

I used the cleaner and #2 bottle only, the scratches were not that bad.

Here's a 50/50 pic. Left side has been polished, It definitley cleaned up the fine scratches. (Sorry for the crappy lighting)

Seems like a good investment for $7. You only use a very small amount, this little bottle will last a long time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2351[/ATTACH]

post-1319-142532292301_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532292301_thumb.jpg

I agree with Chase, using the Focus pads will work great with FMP, but since it's such a small area we are working on, I would try it by hand and check the results, if you aren't happy with the results, then break out the drill and Focus Pads, I'm going to try to get to mine this week and will post photos.