Ecoboost Owner Forums

My Rear Power Shade is possessed!

I have a 2011 SHO with the performance package, and I have been loving this car. However, starting yesterday, when I put the car in reverse the rear power sun shade starts going crazy. The first time it happened I thought someone was banging on the back of my car. It does this for 3-5 seconds and then stops, but it seems to do it every time I put the car in reverse. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there a simple fix to this, or do I need to make a trip to the dealership?

Thanks!

It is already down when I put the car in reverse, but when I do put it in reverse it just starts jerking and banging in a up and down motion. It never really goes up, but it is bangs down repeatedly for about 3-5 seconds when I go from Park to Reverse.

Yea, there a small handful of owners that experienced gear failure on the drive unit that propels the shade up and down. As if a tooth, or two (or more) were missing and/or broken on the gear itself.

I could've sworn there was a write up here, or elsewhere on this very same subject matter.

The originator of the thread, if I recall correctly, had claimed the parts were fairly cheap to obtain, but that FMC was killing it on the labor cost(s) end of it.

Still under factory warranty, so I took it to a dealership today. They made some adjustments to it to prevent that repeated knocking that it would do, but ordered replacement parts for it. They did have replacement taillights in stock, so for the time being, I do not have any chipping/pealing chrome.