Ecoboost Owner Forums

Chaffed Knock Sensor Wires

It's been a bit since this has been discussed and we've had quite a few members join us that may not be aware of this problem. Since Ford has never really acknowledged this problem it may be helpful for our newer members if they were aware of this problem. Not sure if anyone has had this problem on the 12's or 13's but if anyone has any photos of the wires and where they are located on the engine it would be great if you could post them so the newer people could check theirs to make sure they are not rubbing or chaffing. Thanks.

I don't have photos of my 2013 but I did pull the engine cover off and check the wires and they appear the same on my car as they do on the 10-12s. Exposed and resting against a corner on the intake/block, I will be adding extra protection to them tonight or tomorrow so they don't chaff and short to ground.

The 'SEARCH' tab is ALWAYS your best friend...... :thumb:

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/forum/ecoboost-taurus-sho-mks-forum/ecoboost-sho-mks-general-discussion/351-wow-car-woke-up

Speaking of which, when any of you create new threads, it's also a good reminder, especially for our newer members to find old threads easily, to be sure to add "tags" to your new threads. Makes things a HELLUVA lot easier across the board for all involved.

As always, enjoy fellow EcoBooster's :bolt:

First, thanks Mike for the pointers...and it sure would be nice, but being an idiot about most thinks computer, I really don't know how to add tags and I have never been able to get the Search to work and take me where I want to go...sorry, but maybe some remedial lessons are needed by this guy.....:loco:

Here is my original discovery post when I first figured this issue out.

First remove the engine cover just to make sure it's out of the way so you can get a good look from all angles. Look down between the 2 intake pipes.

http://www.customwheelsexpress.com/taurus/GoDigging.jpg

We saw a connector with wires that were not wrapped in any extra electrical tape or plastic shrouding.

http://www.customwheelsexpress.com/taurus/Chaff-0.jpg

From this angle you can better see the wires resting on the engine.

http://www.customwheelsexpress.com/taurus/Chaff-1.jpg

The chaffing is on the sensor side of the connector which means that they will have to replace the knock sensor. In the meantime we have put a piece of foam insulation on the engine where the wires rest to prevent it from further chaffing and giving false knock readings. I must say that performance is starting to come back. Since we didn't reset the KAM memory, it is taking some time for new values/averages that the PCM uses to run the engine are being used and faded out as new values are factored in and averaged. Power is coming back, the erratic RPM's are fading, the wastegate is bleeding off less and less air with every mile I go.

I have been meaning to look at this myself, this post spurred me on to check. Mark me down as another one with the wires snug on the engine block. A zip tie behind the connector backing to the hose above pulled them out of the way for good. No chafing was evident, but I will see if she runs any differently. Good looking out for the community!

Thanks for the heads up. I knew this was a problem on the 10-12's' date=' but figured they would have fixed it on the 13's. I will be checking mine soon![/quote']

I don't think that Ford is aware of the problem, only because one of the members here discovered it is the reason we are aware of it. I informed my service manager so he could discuss it with Ford, but I know he's really busy and I'm betting he never did inform Ford....so there's a good chance they don't know of the problem, I know no one has ever posted that a dealer checked this when they had the car in for a power lost problem.