Ecoboost Owner Forums

EGT gauges

I saw EGT mentioned in another thread and did a bit of reading on them. I decided that would be a worthy addition to my Torque display. Torque lists EGT 1 and EGT 2 in the menus so I set them up with some warnings and alarms for high readout. I got all excited. I was disappointed to find that those values seem to be left out of available signals at the ODB2 port. Assuming I'm right, and they are not there, any one know if there is a comparable value/values that I could monitor that is up for grabs in e OBD2 stream?

I'm speaking purely on my Diesel experience as that's where I learned of EGT's and used them.

You cannot get EGT's without a probe--it's basically a temperature probe that is put on either before or after turbo (depends on your flavor--this is more on the diesel realm); however I will tell you that after turbo EGT's are far more important.

So, it's no doubt your ODB2 cannot read it -- it requires aftermarket gauges unless your torque display can do what SCT LiveWire was able to do; take an input plug from an EGT probe.

I'm speaking purely on my Diesel experience as that's where I learned of EGT's and used them. You cannot get EGT's without a probe--it's basically a temperature probe that is put on either before or after turbo (depends on your flavor--this is more on the diesel realm); however I will tell you that after turbo EGT's are far more important. So' date=' it's no doubt your ODB2 cannot read it -- it requires aftermarket gauges unless your torque display can do what SCT LiveWire was able to do; take an input plug from an EGT probe.[/quote'] Torque app can display it if the value is in the OBD2 stream. Since it's provided in the software, I guess it must be in some vehicles OBD2 streams but it looks like it's not in the Ford stream. There are also provisions in Torque for displaying several different cat temps. I know its downstream, but would that be an alternative useful temp yardstick to monitor?

I don't think so; I've always heard EGT's are either directly before or after the turbo.

Without the sensor; I don't know what kind of car would have EGT's in the OBD2 stream--are you sure Torque can't show from probe? I know with devices like the SCT Livewire; you can buy a probe and connect it to the display and it will enable the EGT.

Wait; Torque is that Android app right? Uses a bluetooth dongle for OBD2 stream? If so, I'm clueless LOL.

I don't think so; I've always heard EGT's are either directly before or after the turbo. Without the sensor; I don't know what kind of car would have EGT's in the OBD2 stream--are you sure Torque can't show from probe? I know with devices like the SCT Livewire; you can buy a probe and connect it to the display and it will enable the EGT. Wait; Torque is that Android app right? Uses a bluetooth dongle for OBD2 stream? If so, I'm clueless LOL.[/quote Yes that's the one. I think I read at one time, for some extra money you can get access to an expanded OBD2 list of values. Since Ford is using a lot of diesel technology in ecoboost it surprises me that they would not have sensors in place for the ECU to monitor EGT's. oh well this is all pretty new to me. So much to learn. Thanks for the info.

My EGT's are monitored via temperature probe, which I installed post turbo. Although it shows as an available option via the MyCal device, it cannot be monitored unless the actual probe is in place to monitor the air/temp stream. Prior to my Methanol install, whenever I WOT'd my car, EGT's almost immediately shot up to the 1600+ range(s). Now with the Methanol reigning in the temps, I rarely see anything over 1200. Typically, i'll stay in the 1000-1100 range. Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I think maybe whats possible here is Larry seen ECT which I myself at first glance was EGT.
I don't think I'm making that mistake. Here is the Torque menu list vebasehy.jpg And here is the gauge display y6evehuz.jpg The only thing I'm missing is the signal from the OBD2 stream that coincides with the gauge. Makes me think Ford is not including that value. Maybe Ford does not refer to EGT in the ECU and so they would not have a sensor/sensors for it. Torque being a universal App must find enough Mfgs that do provide a EGT signal to provide for it in the App. There are 2 bank 1 sensors for cat temps and 2 bank 2 cat temps in the Torque menu. I don't know yet if Ford provides a signal for any of those values. I did check on the oil temp gauge in Torque and found that value unsupported in the Ford OBD2 stream.

Pid is what OBDII uses as an identifier for a parameter to lookup in the computer. It is usually a number in Hex. Torque hides all that from you unless you want to create a custom gauge. If you know the PID and the scaling equation you can add a custom gauge in Torque. Assuming the computer supports it. Unfortunately they aren't readily available from the car manufacturers.