Ecoboost Owner Forums

Need imput

Hello all...I havent posted in awhile, I have just been swamped at work. Anyway, I had a question reguarding my SHO. I have a Livernois stage 4+ tune and an Airaid cai. I have had that on the car for approx 10k miles. I have taken to the 1/4 once and i believe it ran a 13.1-13.2. Anyway I put the stock tune and airbox back into the car so that I could take it to the dealership to get the ac fixed. (condensor was leaking.) I got it back home today and put my Airaid back in and uploaded the tune. After loading the tune I took her for a drive. When I pulled out of the neighborhood i eased into 1st and once I was up and going I matted it and it spun the front tires shifting into 2nd. It kinda cought me off guard so I tried it again at the next light and sure enough it did it again. So the point of all of that is my car feels NOTICABLY faster. The turbos are more audible also. Has anyone else experenced this? And btw im not complaining...just curious.

Thanks

Could it be that driving it with the stock settings made you more aware of the tune? BTW, I'd never remove the CAI for service, if a dealer would complain about that, they would be a real jerk. My dealer is aware of the tune and everything I've done to my car and have never had a problem with it. I wanted them to be aware of the tune simply because if I had to have the computer reflashed they could warn me, so I could return it to stock, but so far I haven't had to remove the tune since I installed it.

I dont think that I got used to the stock tune as I only drove it about 50 miles with it. And I understand about not necessarly HAVING to put the factory airbox and factory tune back into the car before dropping it off but it takes 10 minutes to swap everything back and the way I see it...better safe then sorry. From past experences with other cars typically if they see a cai and they suspect anything fishy they are more likely to start digging looking for something. I still have 40k on my warranty...I dont want to give them ANY suspicion or reason to think I "hot rod" my car. I guess I will have to take it to the track to see if its any faster but boy im telling you...it sure as hell feels and sounds like it.

Anytime you reflash it dumps all the info it has learned. If you drive it hard it will remember that. If you drive it like grandma it will remember that. It does its adaptive learning and taylors it's performace to how you drive is what I get from reading everything. My guess is your going to get the best and fastest performance just after uploading the tune. This is only my guess please be kind in the flaming wars, lol.

For those of you who take your cars to the track, do you see quicker times if you reflash back to stock and then re-install the tune just prior to running the car? Has anyone experimented with that? I am not discounting the opinions expressed here but I just haven't experienced it. If anything, my car seems stronger now than when I first installed the tune back in January. I base that only on seat of the pants feel, amount of torque steer and the ease with which I get wheelspin.

I just returned from a trip from Minneapolis to Southern Iowa and pretty much babied the car because I wanted see how good my gas mileage could be under ideal cruising conditions. After the 600 mile round trip of never getting past 1/4 throttle, I have been getting on it pretty hard and it feels crazy fast. I think the summer-blend fuel may have an impact. God only knows what we get for fuel here in the Winter.

By the way, 28.3 MPG going to Iowa in pretty calm conditions at 75 MPH. I got a crazy 30.9 on the return trip with a nice tailwind. I know the tune has improved my mileage by about 2 MPG. I have never gotten mileage like that on this trip before, regardless of the conditions.

Jmr061..those are good guesses...hell any guess is better then mine. Anyway it has been 10k-ish miles since the first time i uploaded the tune for the first time but I dont remember it being that fast...idk. I guess we will see what happens over the next few days. I will keep everyone posted if I make any finds. Again thanks for the imput. Keep the ideas coming.

Good information to know. I felt the same thing and had a similar question a while back. I was on a back road the other day with straight stretches then 90 degree turns trying out the acceleration. The first few WOT coming out of the turns it seemed sluggish and too smooth. On the 4th one, the car really surprised me and spun front tires on down shift and up one shift and really took off.

Maaaan.... reading about tunes really makes me want one. I can't stand the crappy shifting pattern with the stock tune. My G8 actually knows how to downshift, whereas the SHO just kind of thinks about it, and might downshift... or it might just hold onto gear and then I finally get power when it hits 3000 RPM. It's an absolute DOG off the line and mashing the gas. I don't think I've ever been able to spin the tires in all honesty, even with traction control off. I just gotta save up some cash, because I'd want to get a tune for the SHO and G8 at the same time to see if Livernois would cut me a little deal. :)

I will continue to dream on!