Ecoboost Owner Forums

How do you remove the side mirror caps?

I think they may just snap off, but not completely sure....I would warn you that even being careful you could damage the retaining clips just pulling it off, because I think the clips are just molded plastic. If you remove the puddle lamp from the bottom of the mirror you may be able to shine a light inside the mirror enough to see how the covers are attached before attempting to remove it. You should be able to remove the one-piece puddle lamp using a flat blade screwdriver.

I'm had the, umm, privilege, of removing the side mirror on my wife's MKT a few times now, disassembling it, painting it, and reinstalling. Due to this, I also have experience removing the mirror glass. While the MKT does not have removable caps in the mirrors, I will caution that the auto-dimming mirrors are quite fragile. If you think you're going to pop the driver's mirror glass off to get better look, I strongly suggest you don't do it. Any flexing when removing or reinstalling and the seal will split and render the mirror nearly useless.

With that said, I did have a mirror cap come off of the 2010 MKZ that my wife had before the MKT (notice a trend here?) and it just snapped back in place. The plastic tabs that snapped in place were not real close to the edges of the cap though so it would be tough to unsnap it from the outside. You would probably need to disassemble the mirror to reduce the risk of breaking the cap or bring your car to my house and have my wife back it out of the garage.

-Rod

You would probably need to disassemble the mirror to reduce the risk of breaking the cap or bring your car to my house and have my wife back it out of the garage.

-Rod

Great advice, that's why I suggested having a look through the hole in the bottom of the mirror...however, I do find you offer of having your wife back the car out of the garage very generous and hilarious!:RpS_thumbsup:

I removed the caps on my 2011 Mustang. They "supposedly" will come off if you squeeze the ends toward the center; however, I also found it very easy to break the tabs doing this. If you power the mirror as far as possible toward the car, and use a light you should be able to see the tabs (2) and pop them with a screw driver. This works better if you have a second person use the the light, and are a contortionist.