Ecoboost Owner Forums

Upgraded HID's on '13 SHO

Just to clarify, the color temperature, in "K" or Kelvin, is not directly related to the luminous flux of a light source. Changing the color temperature alone will not yield a brighter bulb, but maybe the appearance of being brighter. Often changing the color temperature is more for how it looks to oncoming traffic than how much light it actually puts on the road.

I don't want to pretend to be an expert on this subject, but ran in to some of these terms and explanations when trying to select LEDs to match the HIDs on my Aviator.

-Rod

I believe the standard K temp is either 5600 or 5800...somewhere in that range. So I don't know that going to 6000 is going to be much different. However, as I am writing this I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the standard may be 4300...if so then the 6K would be whiter. And I believe that any D3S will work, I know that someone did change their bulbs and that is the one they used.

Yes, you would use d3s hid kit.

A couple years ago I bought a cheap (but expensive :( ) ebay kit, and it was crap...and I had no way to return it. Ever since then I have been getting my hids from ddmtuning.com. They are from china, but they work great.

Also, just so you know.. the higher you go in color temperature the less light output you get actually.

I have 6k 55w (I've had them in my mom's aveo years 3 years ago, a set in her civic now, a set in my fusion, a set in my commander, and now my taurus) and 55w 6k look beautiful :D

4300k is factory.

A couple years ago I bought a cheap (but expensive :( ) ebay kit, and it was crap...and I had no way to return it. Ever since then I have been getting my hids from ddmtuning.com. They are from china, but they work great.

Also, just so you know.. the higher you go in color temperature the less light output you get actually.

I have 6k 55w (I've had them in my mom's aveo years 3 years ago, a set in her civic now, a set in my fusion, a set in my commander, and now my taurus) and 55w 6k look beautiful :D

4300k is factory.

How offten do you get flashed with 55W bulbs? You say I need a kit? I can't just get new bulbs? I have stock HID's now.

This is from the Philips Web site.

Genuine OEM Osram Bulbs only came in one Color 4200k, 4200k is the only DOT (Department of Transportation) approved Color for HID bulbs, if anyone lists an OEM Osram bulb in 6000k, they are not OEM, they are aftermarket.

http://www.philipshidkits.com/oem-genuine-osram-d3s-hid-bulbs/

Also see:

http://www.philipshidkits.com/hid-facts/

Brian S.

10 CinnaSHO

4300k is factory.

How offten do you get flashed with 55W bulbs? You say I need a kit? I can't just get new bulbs? I have stock HID's now.

I've gotten flashed maybe a total of 8 times in the year I've had the car and I do quite a bit of night driving.. I have gotten flashed more since I put in the v3 switchbacks from vleds (~3x in a month).

I wasn't really thinking whenever I said you needed a kit. You probably just need the bulbs only, I have never had a vehicle that had stock hids, so I'm not exactly sure how that would work.. but obviously it can be done.

FYI though so you're not wondering why you can't find 55w BULBs. HID bulbs are.. HID bulbs. There is no wattage for a HID bulb.. the wattage comes from the ballast (that is part of a "kit", if you don't have stock HIDs)

35w or 55w kits, bulbs remain the same.

If you want my opinion, you just need bulbs .. I am 80% sure. However I don't want to say 100% sure and you get them and be mad at me :P

You can get the bulbs only from ddmtuning for $40 + shipping...and you can return if you need to.

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=16 this is what it says on their site about this.. also wouldn't hurt to email them :D

• 2 weeks later...