Ecoboost Owner Forums

Perf Package Negatives???

I read reviews on Performance Package that mention steering alterations that let driver feels more of the road. Is this a good thing if your aren't going to track? I guess question is Does Perf Package make for more enjoyable experience? And never mind the summer tires as I will swap for A/S right off the bat. Extra braking is 6' improvement and less fade. Avg driver gonna notice? Or do I need to be ripping up a track to get any value here? Thanks

1. no spare with PP (that matters to me personally)

2. I have seen a video where an SHO with PP needs to shift into 3rd just before 60 AMPH at full throttle. My MKS (essentially SHO with out PP) takes it past 60 in second. IF this video is not a fluke, the 0-60 time of a non PP should be ever so slightly faster than a PP. After that, the PP would be at an advantage. If you are a 0-60 nut like me (don't care about 1/4 mile or top speed), the non PP may be more to your liking.

3. I have found that geneerally the PP feels a little tighter and braking does feel better, but that is all subjective.

The ride stiffness of the PP is a bit firm for everyday driving in my opinion. I like the steering feel, but wouldn't mind having a slightly softer ride.

Yeah, the final drive ratio is different, but that extra shift doesn't necessarily mean a slower time to 60 mph. The shorter ratio means it picks up speed faster. Does the rate at which it picks up speed offset the time to shift? I'm not sure.

-Rod

The biggest negative to me with the PP is that you can't get Adaptive Cruise Control, and now that I've used it for a few years, man, I don't think I'd give it up for the PP. Also with the lower final drive ratio you can expect to get a little lower fuel mileage with a PP car then a non-PP car. Although, I think the non-PP cars will keep up or pass 90% of the cars on the road today.

I used to not think a spare tire was critical me. But last month, on a short trip from OH back to MI, I got an unrepairable flat in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday (with our Enclave that does have a spare fortunately). I decided then and there that a spare tire was critical to me. I think you may be able to add a spare, but factor in that and replacing with A/S tires if you are going to do that, and costs really add up.

The ride stiffness of the PP is a bit firm for everyday driving in my opinion. I like the steering feel, but wouldn't mind having a slightly softer ride.

Yeah, the final drive ratio is different, but that extra shift doesn't necessarily mean a slower time to 60 mph. The shorter ratio means it picks up speed faster. Does the rate at which it picks up speed offset the time to shift? I'm not sure.

-Rod

Do you attribute ride stiffness (ur view) to summer tires? Or the suspension tuning? Have you tried PP with regular A/S tires? Just curious your opinion. Thanks very much!