Ecoboost Owner Forums

Want to tune my SHO.

mac99br

Hi guys Just want to start off by saying this is by far the best SHO/ECOBOOST forum out there.Ok so I want to get my car tuned dont know much about it.I heard the livernois tune is a good but i have no idea what a sct or a mycal is, all i know it is the device to load the mapsI seen some pics some people mount it on there window sorry I'm a noob at this.:rolleyes: I know there is stage 1-5. What would be the best stage for my car and is it easy to install and what would i need.I could use any information you can give thank you in advance.Also has anyone ran into any problems with the tunes [h=2][/h]

I would highly recommend Livernois and definately the MyCal tuning device. If you want to keep it simple, all you really need is the stage 4+ in both 91 and 93 octane versions. I assume you can get 93 where you live but you might want the 91 octane version if you travel to an area where 93 is not available.

If you want to go a bit further, you can also get the new more aggressive 4X tune. That will require a 3 Bar map sensor and a cooler thermostat - about $55 for the sensor and $65 for the thermostat. You can also get the 4+ tune set up for the 3 bar map sensor. SP534 spark plugs gapped at .030 is recommended for all the tunes. I don't know how many miles are on your SHO, but if you are over 40,000, you should get new plugs, anyway. I would recommend going for the 4X and the other required mods.

Once you get the tuner with the tunes, you just hook up to the OBD port under the steering wheel and follow the prompts - takes about 5-10 minutes and you have a much different car. Most of us have been tuned for quite some time and wouldn't think of going back to stock, except for dealer visits.

This is a brief overview. Go to Livernois' website or call them for more details. Others will also chime in here.

Guest Guest

Bruce said it all. Couldn't have done better myself. Decide on which route you want to go. The 3 bar is outstanding if you want to do the stat and the sensor. Otherwise the stock 2 Bar is a very fine tune and you will feel a very noticeable performance gain. Either way is very safe for your car. The tuner's goal at Livernois is to wrench as much power out of our cars as possible and still err on the side of safety for our engines. Give them a call and talk to Anthony.

Guest Guest

A great start would be the MyCal with Stage 4+/ 93 octane and 4+/ 91 octane (for travel). SP534 spark plugs gapped at 30 is highly recommend for any tune. Later when you get the stat and 3 Bar, you can get an update from Livernois to add the Stage 4X and change your Stage 4+'s to 3Bar/TS (Thermostat) You will also have stock on there but would have to put the 2 bar back in for that. I only have 11K on my SHO. I first tuned at 1K. I've ran the 4, 4+, 4X, a custom tune and a dynotune. On a good day, you should run 13.00 sec 1/4 mile with the 4+.

Guest Guest

If you run the 3 Bar sensor, you need the 3 Bar tune. And vice versa. Just don't start the car unless you have the matched sensor and tune. I would change out the thermostat, plugs and sensor, then load the tune. Chances of throwing a code are slim to none. (Loose coil wire, bad plug, etc.) Btw, when you go to load a tune, the MyCal will check for codes and delete any old codes before loading the tune. Just follow the prompts. If you get in a jam we'll help you get through it.

so will the 3 bar tune be already in the 4x tune or do i add it in separate.And what is this i heard and correct me if i'm wrong when i get my tune in the mail i have to call lms to get a number to add the tune/ Also do the SP534 spark plugs come per gapped .030 or do I have to gap them?

sho4.jpg

Guest Guest

The 4X is a 3 Bar tune. When you get your MyCal, you will retrieve the strategy code from your vehicle and email it to Livernois along with the MyCal serial number and the requested tunes. When your tunes are ready, they will email you a link for the updater program. Then, you download the tunes in to your MyCal. You have to use a windows based computer to do this. If you are going with the 3 Bar, I would suggest Stage 4X (which only comes in 93 Octane and requires the Stat and the sensor), Stage 4+/93 (which is a little milder tune) and Stage 4+/91 (for traveling to an area that does not have 93 Octane). You will also get the stock tune (2 Bar). I would double check the gaps on the plugs to be sure. Mine came all gapped at 30 but I know that because I checked them.

I have the 2 bar 4+ tune, and 534s gapped at .030. But I ran without 534s for a long time and had zero issues. I would suggest , as others, just starting with the tune. I also have a new in box FORD 3 bar. I was going to go 3 bar but decided I did not want to change the T-stat. So, PM me if you need one (a 3-Bar). I just have not gotten around to taking the time to list it for sale.

Going from stock to 4+ is a mind-boggling, grin-inducing difference. The 4X and the mods required with provide more of an incremental upgrade, in my opinion. Like Todd, I ran the stock plugs with 4+ and had no issues. I changed plugs mostly because it is good maintenance and the original plug gaps get too wide due to electrode erosion. Wide gaps can mean spark blow out and detonation.

The 3 bar map allows the cars PCM to recognize and utilize higher boost that you get with 4X. The thermostat is a safety measure - cooler running engines are less likely to have detonation issues with high boost and advanced timing.

Dan, the LMS tuner, provides tunes with a great balance of power with safety. He doesn't go crazy with high boost. He seems to focus more on the right combination of timing, fuel and sustained boost over the RPM range. Mac99br, I look forward to hearing how you like your NEW car after tuning!

Guest Guest

Here is the thermostat housing. You need to pull the air box and the accordion pipe to get to it.

3_zps05260ea6.jpg

4_zpsf9ec78e1.jpg

5_zps2795e72b.jpg

Sensor you want to change is top dead center of the intake manifold.

IMG_03292_zps6cc42cc9.jpg

Guest Guest

When you pull the thermostat housing, gently wiggle it and have a shallow container under it to catch the coolant.

When you change out the sensor, you also have to gently wiggle it. It has a pretty tight o-ring connection.

so will the 3 bar tune be already in the 4x tune or do i add it in separate.And what is this i heard and correct me if i'm wrong when i get my tune in the mail i have to call lms to get a number to add the tune/ Also do the SP534 spark plugs come per gapped .030 or do I have to gap them?

sho4.jpg

Mine came gapped at .030 - but always good to double check! And, again, I have a new in box genuine FORD 3 Bar for your car, PM me. if you are interested.