Ecoboost Owner Forums

Extended warranty to buy or not to buy

Hello All,

Okay, the factory Ford bumper to bumper is going to expire in about six weeks or 1200 miles. The car is a Ford certified pre-owned car through Ford warranty program already. BUT, that only covers drivetrain/power train for 7 years or 100,000 miles. The touch panel I believe also has a warranty until 50,000 miles on the MyTouch DIC display IIRC. HOWEVER, the finer things in life, or, more accurately the CAR, will not be covered once the 3year 36,000 miles is up. I can get additional coverage through Ford if I sign up before that happens.

I have had two small problems with the car since I have had it when bought last May.

Problem one is; The interior ambient light settings keep reverting back to the factory default every three weeks or so from my color choice. Not a big deal but annoying. I talked to the local dealer and was told they have brought this issue up to Ford and were told by Ford it is normal not to worry about it. This seemed to occur when I would change the color to purple. I tried using red and so far no problems. So there might be an issue with the line of computer code for the color purple in the body CAN module.

Problem two is; A few weeks ago the radio stopped working. The car had sat overnight. It was the first start of the day. Went to turn up the volume and nothing. None of the four systems on the touch panel would respond to my inputs. The system would beep when I tried to select a function, but nothing would change. I cycled the ignition several times but no change. It was a 45 minute drive to my destination and the radio never worked during this time period. I had not done any updates to the system in the months leading up to this event. The car sat for about 5 hours at my destination on this event. When it was time to go home, everything was working as it should. This problem has not happened again. Oh also, it has the Sony upgraded system.

So, should I get the extended warranty through Ford or roll the dice and let it expire? Thoughts?

Thanks guys,

Bruce

I would think they would be covered. I never experienced the radio problem like you describe and I've never done any updates to the radio or nav system. I never purchased the nav upgrades because in the flyer they sent, I found several mistakes in Pennsylvania, and when I tried to contact both Ford and the software company, neither ever got back to me with an answer...couldn't see paying 200 bucks for something that was wrong and neither company would address.

Hello All,

Okay, the factory Ford bumper to bumper is going to expire in about six weeks or 1200 miles. The car is a Ford certified pre-owned car through Ford warranty program already. BUT, that only covers drivetrain/power train for 7 years or 100,000 miles. The touch panel I believe also has a warranty until 50,000 miles on the MyTouch DIC display IIRC. HOWEVER, the finer things in life, or, more accurately the CAR, will not be covered once the 3year 36,000 miles is up. I can get additional coverage through Ford if I sign up before that happens.

I have had two small problems with the car since I have had it when bought last May.

Problem one is; The interior ambient light settings keep reverting back to the factory default every three weeks or so from my color choice. Not a big deal but annoying. I talked to the local dealer and was told they have brought this issue up to Ford and were told by Ford it is normal not to worry about it. This seemed to occur when I would change the color to purple. I tried using red and so far no problems. So there might be an issue with the line of computer code for the color purple in the body CAN module.

Problem two is; A few weeks ago the radio stopped working. The car had sat overnight. It was the first start of the day. Went to turn up the volume and nothing. None of the four systems on the touch panel would respond to my inputs. The system would beep when I tried to select a function, but nothing would change. I cycled the ignition several times but no change. It was a 45 minute drive to my destination and the radio never worked during this time period. I had not done any updates to the system in the months leading up to this event. The car sat for about 5 hours at my destination on this event. When it was time to go home, everything was working as it should. This problem has not happened again. Oh also, it has the Sony upgraded system.

So, should I get the extended warranty through Ford or roll the dice and let it expire? Thoughts?

Thanks guys,

Bruce

I would get it but if you buy it though these guys it is better priced.

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

It is through Ford, but there are some that are offered by other companies, but like the car, Ford charges the dealer one price but the dealer can sell it for whatever they want, it's the same with the extended warranty, some places may sell them at cost or even below, just to sell them. Plus, Ford probably offers some sales incentive for the amount the dealership sells, I know that some months if dealers meet sales quotas, they get a pretty generous addition discount from Ford.