Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 SHO key fob died

Hello All,

I want to report my SHO is running great.   She will need new shoes soon.  Don't know what I am going to buy yet.  When I got her serviced this last Saturday and the dealer said the rear brakes are needing replacement.  The car has 53,000+ miles on her and not driven too hard.  So I will take a look at that myself.  Kind of odd they would need replacement that fast. The fronts I could understand, but the rears?   

The only thing is the spare 5 button key fob.  The fob I usually use had a battery dying on me.  So I got new batteries for both.  I went to try the spare fob after the battery replacement and got nothing.  The car says no key detected.  I know the battery is installed correctly.  And I checked it to make sure too.   But none of the fob functions work.

So what happened?  Do these fob's just go belly up like that from not being used.  It's been like two years since I used it last and it was fine then. Since then it has been hanging on the keyboard.  

If I need a new fob do I have to go to the dealer to have it programmed?  Okay thanks guys.  Drive safe.

Bruce

What year is your car, some times when the car battery is beginning to go we have seen people get all kind of weird electrical things happening with the car.  Also be sure you have the fob battery installed correctly and that you check the new battery to be sure it is good.  We did use those kind of batteries in our dive computers and on more then 1 occasion we have seen the batteries not being very good from new. For some reason, I think a lot of those batteries seem to sit on store shelves for a long time. 

Thanks for the input.  My car is a 2013 Tarusu SHO nonPP.  I checked the battery with a tester and it was dead.  When I was changing it, it is possible I got distracted and put the old battery back in.  That's the only thing I can figure out.  I got another battery and now everything is fine.  Oh well, chalk it up to not paying attention I guess.  Unless the new battery was dead also.  I did not bother to test it assuming it was good since it was new after all.

Thanks again,

Bruce    

• 1 month later...

You should consider getting a 3rd fob. If you have 2 fobs in good working order you can buy and program a 3rd fob yourself. If you are down to one fob I believe you need to see the dealer to get a second one programmed.

Whenever we purchase a new vehicle, throwing in an extra key fob is one thing we always require to make the deal.  We've never had a dealer refuse to throw in a key fob. Simply because they are not cheap and it's great to have an extra.  But for us, it would be a deal breaker if it was ever refused. 

• 4 weeks later...

Again, I am so glad that as part of any deal or any vehicle we purchase we insist that the dealer include an additional key fob.  We have yet to have anyone say no, especially since it would be a deal breaker for us and we are willing to walk if they won't include an additional fob.  And they have always programmed the additional fob.  I highly recommend adding this to your next purchase.