Ecoboost Owner Forums

Best SHO CAI

Being a new SHO owner (7 days so far), I have done some searching, probably not to the extent of the full internet, but I want to know opinions of the best Cold Air Intake for the 2010 SHO. I am looking at performance. There are a few out there right now besides the Airaid, such as the K&N, Weapon-R, Hennessey, Rousch, etc, but have not read many reviews or good data on HP gains for all...(ie. 9hp for Air Raid and 12hp for K&N). Looking for which one and why. I would really like to know if anyone has the weapon-r since I have not come across anyone with it. Thanks!

Hi DrSHO. I have the AIRAID uint, shock I avg a 0.2sec increase in the 1/4mi last summer. My best time before AIRAID 13.79 but my avg. was 14.0 alfter AIRAID my best was 13.74 my avg drop to 13.8. The tuner LIVERNOIS uses airaid with their tunes and their car/flex are running 12.2-12.9. I just installed LMS tune w/MyCal head uint[ATTACH=CONFIG]358[/ATTACH]also AIRAID looks factory installed [ATTACH=CONFIG]359[/ATTACH] AIRAID was the only uint I knew of at the time K&N only had a OME drop in air filter but all this is just me. :first:

post-237-142532286476_thumb.jpg

post-237-14253228648_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532286476_thumb.jpg

post-237-14253228648_thumb.jpg

same reply, same poster, different forum... Since the K&N intake is specifically for the non-turbo (non SHO) engine, did it fit well and did you notice any performance improvements? I think I'm leaning the K&N direction. Thanks.

I'm not big on the K&N since I could not get them to stand behind their warranty when I had a filter suffer seal failure. I have the Airaid and really like it, it was easy to install, priced right and Airaid supports our forum. Also David from Airaid has provided us with GREAT customer service, so I highly recommend the Airaid. Also they make a pre-filter for our kits, and it really helps keep the filter cleaner without doing any restriction of airflow.

I had no problems with the install and could not see any problems with it not being made for the SHO.

I'm by no mean an expert and I don't mean to sound douchey but I don't see how it makes any difference that the K&N is made for the reg V6 Taurus. I know some people have just made their own intake out of the generic tubing and K&N filter. So what's the difference between their custom tubing my kit from a company.

As far as gains I dont really see anything noticeable in either power or mpg. I do hear the turbos more in the car on acceleration which is awesome. After all is said and done I love my choice with K&N and would recommend it unless someone here tells me that it could damage my car since its not specifically made for it.

Edit: upon further review of K&N this intake is made for the SHO. Their website is a little crappy apparently

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-3531TS

I agree, I don't think the K&N will hurt your car and it should be find since I would think the air filter for the non-turbo cars are in the same place as the SHO's. My biggest complaint is K&N's poor treatment of my faulty filter, hence I refuse to spend money on their products, especially when I've gotten such super service from Airaid. I really wouldn't purchase anything but an Airaid, after the great support we and the forum have gotten from them. I like their CAI and for me it is a question of loyalty and Airaid has worked for and deserves my loyalty.

Ok... not sure how the SHO compares to the Flex, BUT the engine bay on our Flex gets incredibly filthy, incredibly quickly!! Opened the stock airbox the other day and was surprised how much dirt and crap was inside! This is with 25,000 miles, 99.99% paved road!

airbox.jpg

So having an open element filter under my hood would make a bit nervous.... especially since i read about "turbo dusting" (myth? maybe, maybe not)... I will gladly give up some performance (if there is actually any?), sound, looks, MPG, if it prolongs the life of my turbos....

This is my custom CAI. Note that I am using a K & N Filter Cover to keep out debris like Scrming found.

The "J" Pipe is from a G8 Roto Fab CAI that is connected to the Turbo intake piping via a solid PVC pipe that is within the 2 rubber hoses w/ clamps. The Filter is a Non-Oiled AEM Round Filter. I installed a home-made shield under the filter to keep heat from the engine & radiator away, and divert the cool air from the stock airbox grille intake towards the filter. This is one problem I see with the K & N design, as the air intake that goes to the stock air box is on the wrong side of their heat shield.

I do not claim any performance gains with my setup, but it definitely adds "Visual Fluff" and occasional "Noise Fluff"!

IMG_3263.jpg

This is my custom CAI. Note that I am using a K & N Filter Cover to keep out debris like Scrming found.

The "J" Pipe is from a G8 Roto Fab CAI that is connected to the Turbo intake piping via a solid PVC pipe that is within the 2 rubber hoses w/ clamps. The Filter is a Non-Oiled AEM Round Filter. I installed a home-made shield under the filter to keep heat from the engine & radiator away, and divert the cool air from the stock airbox grille intake towards the filter. This is one problem I see with the K & N design, as the air intake that goes to the stock air box is on the wrong side of their heat shield.

I do not claim any performance gains with my setup, but it definitely adds "Visual Fluff" and occasional "Noise Fluff"!

IMG_3263.jpg

Nice job EBB. I've never seen under the hood of a EcoBrick, Is turbo on your intake a mod or stock under plastic cover?

Archived