Ecoboost Owner Forums

Thermostat install?

I did mine months ago. Never did take photos or anything.

It's pretty straight forward. I lost about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of coolant only cuz it's in an odd location.

Remove your air box to gain access to the t-stat housing.

Then remove the t-stat housing / cover, and pull out the old t-stat, drop in the new one.

Reassemble. Top off any necessary lost coolant.

Done.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The directions (service manual) that come with the Tstat say you should drain the coolant first. While i'm sure that is what Ford would like you to do is that what everyone has done? Or have you just taken it off and dealth with a little spilled coolant?

Dealt with the spillage.

I kind of chalked it up to having spilt a lil bit of beer after having consumed a few too many.

I'm sure EBB knows about spilling his alcohol :bounce:

:tea:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

If you take off hose from T-stat housing, You should be able to collect all or most of the coolant if you are careful. Once it stops running out the first time, before removing T-stat, release the pressure on the coolant fill tank with your cup ready to take the new outflow. Once done you should be fine and lose no more coolant out the T-stat housing. From there, it is about a 5 or less min. job do switch out and hook everything else up. Once hooked up, turn car on and run heater to get coolant back into everything, just in case. Your new T-stat should get you a several degree drop immediately in normal driving. Tuning for it, which means having tuner adjust the fan temps (lower) will eventually get you about a 10 degree drop, at least that was the case in my Flex. I was the first to run Torrie's T-stat mod.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd like to add if you jack up your car on the drivers side just to tilt the engine just a little coolant comes out. I just topped it off with about a qt of water. Make sure you let the car run after you put it all back together and turn the heat up to 90* to circulate the entire system and leave the cap off til the fan comes on. It will take a bit but this will allow the t-stat to open and burp out all the air.

I took some pictures when I did the swap today, I have to admit I was a bit worried that I would have a trapped air bubble after doing this. I let the car run with the cap off for 10 mins and revved to 2K or so every few minutes. I dont have any good way of knowing how much cooler its running but if the digital gauge is accurate its where it was at before, a tick below the middle or so.

tstat03.jpg

tstat02.jpg

​

That small bowl worked ok to catch the coolant spill, just had to slowly maneuver it around the hoses. Am I supposed to get another program for the thermostat or is that already on the LMS 93 Octane 2013 program I already flashed the car with?

You don't necessarily need another program. It will help keep the car cooler though if they change the fan settings. I believe some 4+ tunes had it already but some people didn't like the fans running all the time since they are so loud. So you may actually already have it. You can email Livernois and ask them to send you one if you aren't sure...

I took some pictures when I did the swap today, I have to admit I was a bit worried that I would have a trapped air bubble after doing this. I let the car run with the cap off for 10 mins and revved to 2K or so every few minutes. I dont have any good way of knowing how much cooler its running but if the digital gauge is accurate its where it was at before, a tick below the middle or so.

tstat03.jpg

tstat02.jpg

​

That small bowl worked ok to catch the coolant spill, just had to slowly maneuver it around the hoses. Am I supposed to get another program for the thermostat or is that already on the LMS 93 Octane 2013 program I already flashed the car with?

The thermostat will work without getting a new tune, but if you ask for one they should send you one as it won't kick on the fans any earlier than before without it being setup in the new tune.

Archived