Ecoboost Owner Forums

Peeling chrome taillights

We all know about the peeling, but has anyone had to replace the lights twice? I am. I had them done at 18K and now at 35K they are peeling again. I think I'll try to get the dealer replace them with the black trimmed lights from the lower model. I like the black look better and they might hold up better. [ATTACH]752[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-279-142532294071_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532294076_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532294071_thumb.jpg

post-279-142532294076_thumb.jpg

Sandpaper, masking tape, rattle can of spray paint (in your preferred color) and about 30min of your time = all of less than $15

Seems to me if they're out of warranty, an easy fix, and a reason to enjoy a couple of beers afterwards.

You're right, it's not right, but still...... an easy task to accomplish on your own :couch2:

Sandpaper, masking tape, rattle can of spray paint (in your preferred color) and about 30min of your time = all of less than $15

Seems to me if they're out of warranty, an easy fix, and a reason to enjoy a couple of beers afterwards.

You're right, it's not right, but still...... an easy task to accomplish on your own :couch2:

Have thought about Plasti-dip on a lot of the chrome. But I don't need that to justify the beers.

I don't care how easy the spray can fix is I'm going to try to get replacements with OEM non chrome units. Just my luck to find out in 15 K miles that the black peels off and find chrome underneath.

My '12 chrome lights peeled just a couple months after buying the car new. The chrome is complete shit. QC in that dept. failed in a major way.

I had my lights tinted and the chrome peeled off and painted black. No issues since. The chrome on your new lights will peel again.

My dealer service manager was not able to get approval for replacing my second set with the non SHO black ones. So far it seems I can count on about 17K before seeing the dreaded peeling. Service writer says the black ones peel also. Next time I won't be on warrantee so maybe then I'll sand and paint as Mike advises. I can't see it as a half hour job though!

• 2 weeks later...
My dealer service manager was not able to get approval for replacing my second set with the non SHO black ones. So far it seems I can count on about 17K before seeing the dreaded peeling. Service writer says the black ones peel also. Next time I won't be on warrantee so maybe then I'll sand and paint as Mike advises. I can't see it as a half hour job though!

When talking with Double C this evening this subject was brought up and since he is experiencing peeling on his second set of taillights, I mentioned that the Lamin-X tint film I used on my tails were large enough that you could cover the chrome trim with it. I was thinking that if you use Lamin-X and cover the trim part of the tail light it might serve to help protect the chrome from peeling and also eliminate the chrome look of the tail light trim.

Super good idea. I will look into it while my replacements are still new and unpeeled. Is the film a DIY project or is it best farmed out? I'm still shaky after my abject failure with the hood stripes.

Super good idea. I will look into it while my replacements are still new and unpeeled. Is the film a DIY project or is it best farmed out? I'm still shaky after my abject failure with the hood stripes.

Can do it either way, I did it myself, was pleased with the results, but Lamin-X lists dealers that do the install. My closest was like a 2 hour drive. Just takes time and patience to get the alighnment right. The price quoted by the dealer to install the tail light tint was very reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

My '12 will be a year old next month. I noticed a chip out of the chrome trim on the passenger side tail light last week and carried it back to the dealer on Friday. He saw the problem, also looked at the other tail and saw some chips there too, which I hadn't yet discovered. Got a call this AM that the dealer rec'd an email from Ford which required photos to be submitted before they will ship the parts. Dealer is 45+ minutes away. Made the trek, the service manager took about 15 photos and will send them along.

I guess the company is making it tougher for us, because of the volume of claims. They should get their QC in order.

Remind them of the slogan, "At Ford, Quality is Job One."

Replacement, of course, require a 3rd jaunt to the dealer.

The dealer is now required to take photos and get the OK from Ford before doing any replacement for warranty. I had the same experience with my tails and also when I needed my seats repaired. According to my service manager this new policy began last Jan. I guess it is an attempt to make sure there are no bogus warranty claims that Ford is paying.

Archived