Ecoboost Owner Forums

Octane

Admittedly it's been a while since i've thumb'd through the Owner's Manual, but I believe FMC highly recommends the use of Premium Fuel in our cars..... yes, even as it stands in stock form.

In fact, I believe they go one step further and specify the use of BP/Amoco fuels.

I myself have always run 93 since the day she drove off of the Dealer's Lot.

He's right Mike, the manual no longer recommends BP fuel, although in the past my 07 Lincoln had that recommendation on the gas filler cap. I believe that Ford may have nixed the brand recommendation after the BP problem with the oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. I know that in my area we no longer have any BP gas stations..they have all changed to using the Gulf brand or Valeo brand. I just checked my 10 manual and it does still recommend BP on page 350 of the manual. It also states under the section about the 3.5 V6 SHO engine on page 351 that using Premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 and above will provide "best overall performance".

Well it appears there is/was a change in that case, which is cool.

I should've cited the specific owners manual (mine from 2010) that does state the suggestions I previously mentioned.

My bad, but from a personal perspective, I would just think that to flip the amount of coin each of us have for our SHO's, that filling them up with anything less than Premium would be doing a disservice to your day to day ownership experiences and driving these wonderful cars around.

Again, that's just me though. Always good to get updated info for sure, great job :thumb:

Always run 93, or highest octane I can find...

In our drive from FL to IA... 93 averaged around $3.35 pg. Exceptions were South Florida and all of Illinois. Cheapest I paid was $3.29. Becoming very consistent compared to a few years ago.

Regular in South FL was as high as $3.48 when I left, and about $3.35 at Costco. Saw under $3.00 twice... in Paducah, KY and northern MO.

Premium for me as well...in both of my rides. Like Mike (Bpd) stated' date=' for a couple more bucks a tank I cant see why not. Not to mention with my tuning, I dont think I really have any other options :biggrin1:[/quote']

Yeah, Darreli, I completely agree with you for the few extra $$ I can't see not using it. But my wife always complains that it is a waste of money because she read somewhere that using higher octane then recommended is unnecessary...but other then that she really knows squat about cars and I do all the work on ours. So when she starts about fuel...:lalala:

Yeah' date=' Darreli, I completely agree with you for the few extra $$ I can't see not using it. But my wife always complains that it is a waste of money because she read somewhere that using higher octane then recommended is unnecessary...but other then that she really knows squat about cars and I do all the work on ours. So when she starts about fuel...:lalala:[/quote']

That smilie is awesome!

mdog tell me how to do that remote start door open engine off mod? I want to keep the car running when I remote start and they go to open the door.. I have the Ford one button dealer installed setup.

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2067&hilit=remote+start#p18731

Here's a link to the instructions I followed. I read them about 10 times, pulled up the website on my phone and did it in about 30 seconds after I pulled the panel. Not sure on an SHO where the programming button in tucked, but I'd assume it's in the same area.

You're literally using the button and the brake pedal to cycle through menus. I also don't need or plan to use the MYKEY feature so it's a non-issue.

Just make sure you turn the key to on before you put it in gear to go after using the remote start. Otherwise it will kill the car.(Ask my wife how she knows... LOL)

Yeah' date=' Darreli, I completely agree with you for the few extra $$ I can't see not using it. But my wife always complains that it is a waste of money because she read somewhere that using higher octane then recommended is unnecessary...but other then that she really knows squat about cars and I do all the work on ours. So when she starts about fuel...:lalala:[/quote']

You'd better make sure she understands that she CANNOT put 87 in the car no matter her beliefs, or you might be cleaning up a mess of piston soup if she fills it up for you one day with 87 to "prove her point".

JL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife runs 91 (only a few gas stations have 92...they're scarce, 93 even more rare). I told her from day one never run anything less or she'd risk blowing the engine with her lead foot (scare tactic :) ). But on the other hand...the two blown engines I've seen so far both ran 87 octane regularly...coincidence I don't know but I wouldn't take any chances to just save 20 cents!

Archived