Ecoboost Owner Forums

The cost of methanol supply

steve142857

All right, so it has been about two months since my methanol kit was installed and I just poored last night the rest of my second 5 gallon of methanol. I am being charged 59$ plus tax (15%), so roughly 68$ for 5 gallons... Consequently I have decided to buy a drum of 30 gallons... But it is very big, so I negociated with the owner of the drag strip I always go, that I could leave the drum there and fill up my two 5-gallons recipient when needed when I go to the drags. The price was a good deal for me: 275$ plus tax, so 316$. That comes to 10.53$ per gallon instead of 13.57$.

I calculated that I would use about 5 gallons per month during the drag season (7 months) and about 2x5 gallons for the 5 other months when there is no drag (snow, etc.). So, considering that the cost of my 94 octane gas is about 5.75$ a gallon, it comes roughly 5$ extra per gallon for methanol. Since, the use of methanol implies a reduction of gas injection (it replaces abut 15% of gas for 15% of methanol under WOT), I am looking at a yearly marginal cost of:

((5x7)+(2x5)) x 5$ = 225$ (instead of 360$ if bought by 5-gallons)

I find it not too bad for all the inspiring and spirited driving that it permits!

I still buy 5gal pails. My price had been $38p/ 5gal....

But the price has recently gone up to $42p/ 5gal pail (not incl tax).

I noticed that VP recently changed the design on their cans, and there is a significant amount of their company name/logo plastered all over it.

Where as before, it was merely a solid blue container. If the sole reason for the recent $4 increase is due to that alone, I will be writing VP and discouraging their advertising nonsense.

My usage depends on how heavy my foot feels like depressing the accelerator on any given day :whistle:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

which is pretty often huh, lol :gossip:

I still buy 5gal pails. My price had been $38p/ 5gal....

But the price has recently gone up to $42p/ 5gal pail (not incl tax).

I noticed that VP recently changed the design on their cans, and there is a significant amount of their company name/logo plastered all over it.

Where as before, it was merely a solid blue container. If the sole reason for the recent $4 increase is due to that alone, I will be writing VP and discouraging their advertising nonsense.

My usage depends on how heavy my foot feels like depressing the accelerator on any given day :whistle:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Archived