Ecoboost Owner Forums

Exterior Temperature reads high

It seems that the outside temp read high a lot in my MKS. It usually corrects itself, or at least is closer to actual teperature after about 20 minutes of driving. When I say it reads high, I mean 8-10 degrees high. All other (this is my first Ford) cars I have had, take about 4-5 minutes max to correct after starting and driving the car. Anybody else have issues like this?

It is at the shop right now getting a headlight replaced under warranty. I tend to think it is the outside temperature sensor myself, but they said it "could be a number of things". Last time it was in, I complained, and they said they tested it with their thermometer and it was accurate when they tested it. Since then, I have been sending my service advisor pics of the temp display via email with notations as to the actual temperature. If they tell me they "cannot duplicate customer concern" I am not going to be pleased. I told them to just go ahead and replace the sensor as I am pretty sure that is the culprit - they claim if they replace it and then send it back to Ford, and it is not broken, they will have to pay for the part themselves...... Is Ford really spending time and effort testing even small parts, like sensors on repairs? :suspicious: Yikes. I thought the warranty denial thread because of an aftermarket exhaust was unusual, but I suppose they are really getting serious. I have slipped my service advisor 20 bucks at each service, so it is out of at least his control I have to believe.

Sorry for the rant, but this is my first Ford product and I have to say, my GM dealer is a heck of a lot better. They find ways to make things work for me. I know not all GM dealers are like mine, and not all Ford dealers are like mine, but for my own comparison, I love my Lincoln and many other Ford products, but that (my dealer/warranty issues) could tip the scale to GM on my next purchase.

It seems that the outside temp read high a lot in my MKS. It usually corrects itself, or at least is closer to actual teperature after about 20 minutes of driving. When I say it reads high, I mean 8-10 degrees high. All other (this is my first Ford) cars I have had, take about 4-5 minutes max to correct after starting and driving the car. Anybody else have issues like this?

It is at the shop right now getting a headlight replaced under warranty. I tend to think it is the outside temperature sensor myself, but they said it "could be a number of things". Last time it was in, I complained, and they said they tested it with their thermometer and it was accurate when they tested it. Since then, I have been sending my service advisor pics of the temp display via email with notations as to the actual temperature. If they tell me they "cannot duplicate customer concern" I am not going to be pleased. I told them to just go ahead and replace the sensor as I am pretty sure that is the culprit - they claim if they replace it and then send it back to Ford, and it is not broken, they will have to pay for the part themselves...... Is Ford really spending time and effort testing even small parts, like sensors on repairs? :suspicious: Yikes. I thought the warranty denial thread because of an aftermarket exhaust was unusual, but I suppose they are really getting serious. I have slipped my service advisor 20 bucks at each service, so it is out of at least his control I have to believe.

Sorry for the rant, but this is my first Ford product and I have to say, my GM dealer is a heck of a lot better. They find ways to make things work for me. I know not all GM dealers are like mine, and not all Ford dealers are like mine, but for my own comparison, I love my Lincoln and many other Ford products, but that (my dealer/warranty issues) could tip the scale to GM on my next purchase.

Mine does too. I attributed it to the fact that the car is building and holding heat in the sun and on the blacktop and the sensor wherever it is located is being affected by it. I consider the fact that the temps come back down after getting in motion a validation. I suppose the sensor might be in a particularly vulnerable position... I don't even know where the sensor is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine's been "off" so to speak..... but it was usually on those occassions when the car was parked outside, during the day, in a parking lot, and the sun was shining on the front end.

The sensor is located on top of the front bumper, behind the upper grille, closer to the passenger side.

Mine is exposed to direct sunlight now that the Mobsteel grilles are installed.

But as you indicated, and it is my experience as well, mine has corrected itself as well upon simply driving around for a few minutes.

Thanks for the replies. The issue usually starts as decribed (outside in the sun at my office - nose end towards end of the day sun). Knowing where the sensor is helps. If it corrected in 5 minutes, I would be okay, it just seems like it is still far off by the time I get into my garage at home. Admittedly a short 7-9 minute trip, but it seems like a long time to adjust itself. I will see what they say, and if this turns out to be my biggest complaint, which it is so far, I am very fortunate. :)

Mine does too. I attributed it to the fact that the car is building and holding heat in the sun and on the blacktop and the sensor wherever it is located is being affected by it. I consider the fact that the temps come back down after getting in motion a validation. I suppose the sensor might be in a particularly vulnerable position... I don't even know where the sensor is.

I 2nd Mike response.

I find that mine will display the last temperature when I first start the car but within 2-3 minutes it corrects to the correct temperature. if it is off 5-7 degrees it is understandable since being parked on pavement would account for that, I mean look at track temperatures at drag strips, when the air is 90 degrees the track is reading 110-120 degrees. So with a sensor only 12 inches of the pavement, it may well be reading the correct temperature because of the radiated heat. I have never really noticed mine being off much. Heck, the one in the shade on my front porch is off more then the one in the car.

Thanks for the comtinued responses. If it corrected in 5 minutes' date=' I would be fine. 20 minutes make it pretty useless to me as 90% of my drives are less than 20 minutes. LOL[/quote']

Understand your concern, seems like iy shouldn't be hard to fix, maybe just a new temp. sensor....good luck, hope you get it corrected soon!

Thanks ^^^ The dealer gave me the old "cannot duplicate" when I went to get it today. I drove about two miles, turned around and brought it back to show them in person. They took it for a 15 minute ride and when they came back, it was still 10 degrees high (was 83 and it read 93). I was kinda pissed because I am pretty sure they never really looked into it despite my camera photos. In any event, they are now "talking to the Ford technical assistance hotline". I told them, again, to try replacing the sensor......

You may be right that they never looked at it, sometimes the techs don't seem to be concerned with small things, even though they are important to us. One thing in defense of the service manager, I do believe it was telling the truth about not getting reimbursed if they submit something to Ford without prior approval. I know my guy had to talk to Ford and get the seat repair approved, even though he agreed that it did not work correctly, but because there was no TSB, he had to submit the VIN and get it approved before the new replacement parts were authorized by Ford under warranty. My guy said that as of Jan. 2012 that Ford has really tightened up warranty repairs. I know that they had to take photos of my tail lights and wait for Ford to OK the replacement. I really believe this might be a result of the slow economy and needing to watch dollars much closer. Hopefully Ford will come up with a repair for you. On the bright side, at least now you have had the problem verified by a Ford certified tech while you were there. Just for your protection I would note the date and time that you showed the tech the problem. Also get the name of the guy that verified your problem in case you need it for later. Nothing like having names, times, and dates to protect yourself if you need to pursue this further. Hopefully, you won't have to and the dealer will get this straightened out. Again, good luck with this! Keep us updated. You know you may be the first one who has made Ford aware that this is a problem on the Lincoln, since larrylu says his acts like yours.

I do have it all documented, thanks for the tips and info as well. I do hear what you are saying, and agree, but the service manager told me they verified it was working properly with their thermometer. But.... when I pulled back in and told them to go get the thermometer, it was "unavailable". Maybe it was on the phone or using the restroom......

Nonetheless, they agreed that it was really 83 degrees (per my cellphone and also a speaker call to our local "weatherphone"), and not 93 degrees. Which leads me to believe they did not really try too hard to duplicate the issue. I have a close friend who is a service advisor at my Cadillac dealership, maybe I have just gotten spoiled. In their defense I suppose, they don't see many MKS' there, primarily Fords, so maybe this is a Lincoln issue only - maybe the sensor is different or has different airflow issues because of the different design.

Small issue in the grand scheme of things......I absolutely love the car and I suppose when it is so good at so many things, issues like an unusable temperature indicator seem bigger than they really are. :)

I believe you hit the nail on the head, that they don't see it a problem, even though we do, so they just tried to blow smoke at you telling you they verified it with a thermometer. Again, good luck, and I hear what you are saying about having a connection at a dealership. One of my best friend's family owned the Mazda dealership when I owned Mazda's and I never had a service problem and always had a car to use while mine was getting serviced. I got to use everything from a new Buick Electra wagon to a Saab 9000 turbo, but it was because we were close friends, I'm sure not everyone got that kind of treatment. Nevertheless, I hope you can get it straightened out. Good luck with it.

I have a client that owns the Dodge dealership' date=' several clients and friends in the service departments (advisors/managers) at GM dealerships, and no connections at all with Ford...So I bought a Lincoln..... LOL.[/quote']

That's funny. My attorney drove a Saab and he represented Chrysler locally several years ago, and when their people came into town, he would rent a Dodge so he won't offend them. I always thought it was a pretty smart idea.

You may be right that they never looked at it' date=' sometimes the techs don't seem to be concerned with small things, even though they are important to us. One thing in defense of the service manager, I do believe it was telling the truth about not getting reimbursed if they submit something to Ford without prior approval. I know my guy had to talk to Ford and get the seat repair approved, even though he agreed that it did not work correctly, but because there was no TSB, he had to submit the VIN and get it approved before the new replacement parts were authorized by Ford under warranty. My guy said that as of Jan. 2012 that Ford has really tightened up warranty repairs. I know that they had to take photos of my tail lights and wait for Ford to OK the replacement. I really believe this might be a result of the slow economy and needing to watch dollars much closer. Hopefully Ford will come up with a repair for you. On the bright side, at least now you have had the problem verified by a Ford certified tech while you were there. Just for your protection I would note the date and time that you showed the tech the problem. Also get the name of the guy that verified your problem in case you need it for later. Nothing like having names, times, and dates to protect yourself if you need to pursue this further. Hopefully, you won't have to and the dealer will get this straightened out. Again, good luck with this! Keep us updated. You know you may be the first one who has made Ford aware that this is a problem on the Lincoln, since larrylu says his acts like yours.[/quote']

Hey guys I've been following this thread since it was first posted and I should clarify that my car becomes accurate enough in a much shorter time frame. I must admit that twenty or thirty minutes of driving to cool the sensor down is a bit much and I would not be happy with that performance either. There is something wrong there and maybe now you have them really looking at it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dealer has proven to be useless. I researched and can get a new Motorcraft sensor for under 40 bucks. I am just going to spin the dice and see if that does it. Now, anybody have a diagram for the SHO or MKS, or access to one, so I can locate it? I searched a little online with no luck yet and thought perhaps somebody here could assist. I know it is on the passenger side near the bumper area, but a photo or diagram would help.

Its maybe reachable by removing the top cover in the engine compartment, runs across the top of radiator and bumper. At least I believe I could reach it this way on my taurus and if not it work require removal of the front facia. Here is a diagram its number 12

e52bab46.jpg

Also tascaparts.com does not list a price for lincoln online, but they do for the taurus for $26.76 and I cross referenced part numbers on fordparts.com for a 2011 mks and its the same as 2011 taurus.

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up: On the MKS, the sensor is located on the passenger side, between the lower grill and the radiator. You need to remove the passenger side black trim panel, to the right of the passenger side fog light, to access and replace. The trim panel just snaps out - put your hand /fingers through the lower grill opening and push outward on the backside of the trim panel and it will snap out.

See photo...

Gilmoreautomuseum9-8-12007-1.jpg

Archived