Ecoboost Owner Forums

Just Finished Drivetrain Fluid Swap

Just finished up the ATF, and i'm a bit surprised at what i saw. Let me first say the car has less than 26K miles on mostly highway, with 2 or 3 AutoX days on it. The transmission fluid was mostly brown but clear instead of the red it should be. I had the local dealer change the PTU and rear diff fluid. Then tech said the rear diff fluid was fine and clear but the PTU fluid was darker than it should be. I swapped all the fluid with Amsoil ATF, and their diff fluid at the factory spec weights. I also added the '13 tranny cooler recently so that is some added protection. I'll probably change the ATF fluid annually, and the PTU and rear diff every other year.

Just finished up the ATF' date=' and i'm a bit surprised at what i saw. Let me first say the car has less than 26K miles on mostly highway, with 2 or 3 AutoX days on it. The transmission fluid was mostly brown but clear instead of the red it should be. I had the local dealer change the PTU and rear diff fluid. Then tech said the rear diff fluid was fine and clear but the PTU fluid was darker than it should be. I swapped all the fluid with Amsoil ATF, and their diff fluid at the factory spec weights. I also added the '13 tranny cooler recently so that is some added protection. I'll probably change the ATF fluid annually, and the PTU and rear diff every other year.[/quote']

What are the factory spec weights and how many qts each for the rear diff and PTU?

Haven't done the Rear Diff, or PTU yet, but DID do the Tranny Fluid when I installed my '13 Auxiliary Tranny Cooler Retro....

It wasn't all that bad, but I'm glad I did it.

I wouldn't wait as long as the Owner's Manual suggests, that's for sure.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Given i used the all wheel traction alot i can see why its worn faster.

Haven't done the Rear Diff, or PTU yet, but DID do the Tranny Fluid when I installed my '13 Auxiliary Tranny Cooler Retro....

It wasn't all that bad, but I'm glad I did it.

I wouldn't wait as long as the Owner's Manual suggests, that's for sure.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...
How difficult is the Transmission Fluid to change by yourself? I am either considering buying some or taking to dealer. But I might just have them do the PTU and Diff unless those are also easily accessible?

Trans fluid is super easy. Take out the drain bolt and let it drain. If you're looking at the pan it's the lowest one

Differential fluid is fairly easy if you have a pump to drain and replace. The PTU is much more difficult to access...I haven't even been able to find a dealer that can do it without removing the PTU itself...which is a 5hr labor bill. FirstSHO hooked me up with a dealer though..I'm gonna get in there this week before my car goes into LMS for some work

I just fill it back up from the engine bay? That's too bad about the PTU that makes it spendy...

Yeah...just below the air cleaner. I would measure the amount that drains so you have an idea of how much to put in..I think it should be around 7.5qts if you just drain it from the plug

Archived