Ecoboost Owner Forums

How is VP M1 better? Sunoco not worth trying?

Just bought 2 5 gallon containers of VP M1 from my local speed shop, $85.90 for the pair which seems the going rate. I am hoping this lasts 6 months.....

The guy made a comment so I will ask the question of you guys. He asked why VP? I stated I bought an LMS injection kit and that is what they recommend. He then tells me he can get the Sunoco 100% methonal for $8 cheaper a barrel.

Anybody know the difference? Is VP really better? More pure?

I had the same comment from a guy that works at the dragway that I go (the owner's son). They actually have the fastest 4 cyl in the world (something like 6.5 seconds at more than 200mph!). They use methanol for it and it is industrial. They have a truck that delivers it in very big quantities and they can resell it at the strip for not very expensive. He told me it was 2$ per liter or 37$ for a 5 gallon tank. It probably works just fine, but like you Paul, if LMS recommended VP, I just went with VP. However, after having bought my first 2 5 gallons (used in the first 5 or 6 weeks! so good luck with your 6 months! lol), that I had paid 58$ plus tax (almost 67$!) here in Montreal, Qc... I decided to buy a 30 gallons! hahaha... I bought it through the guy at the dragway and negociated in the price that I could leave the big tank (a drum) there at the strip in a garage that only them have the key to open. They charged me 275$ plus tax = 320$ including storage. So, for me it comes about 15$ cheaper per 5 gallons that way... I am happy with that... At least here with the cold winter, I guess I will be using less methanol... At least I won't go to the drags!

Cheers!

Methanol is methanol is my understanding. And its cheap, it the shipping that makes it expensive because its a hazardous material. I can get a 55 gal drum from Duda diesel for $175 not bad now add in shipping a the price nearly doubles for a total near $350. However still much cheaper then buying by the pale. But to much for one person, as alcohol will soak up moisture like a sponge. I hoping to be able to pick up drum one day and split a couple different ways with guys here around me which would bring our 5 gallon price down to about $32 a pale, thats a $25 saving.

Not sure on the actual differences in the product itself, but Chris you are partially right on the added expenses of shipping.

The other factor contributing to the high(er) cost of the VP brand involves the manufacturing of the 1gal containers, 5gal pails and 55gal drums.

Apparently VP has invested in an extensive amount of R&D when it comes to like the linings, and the metals used to fabricate their containers.

In turn, they are now passing that along to the consumer(s).

Go figure :tsk:

Cedar Falls Raceway sold me Methanol for under $4.00 a gallon. Biggest drawback... MY OWN UGLY CONTAINER!!!!! AND... When it first comes out of the tank, it was cloudy, so he pumped elsewhere until it was clear, an then I got the GOOD stuff. What this means is that if it sits around with air & humidity and fluctuating temps, it will attract water and get cloudy, just like ethanol attracts water. So. not sure you want to buy large quantities for long term use, as it could become contaminated with plain ole H2O....

That's why I always pump my Windshield Washer tank dry before going to the strip with my system activated, and re-fill with newly mixed fluid, making sure it is well-mixed and not separated by having been in the tank for a period of time. I just pop on a line to the exit side of my pump and pump it into a jug by manually activating my system. This also shows me immediately if there is any slow down in the pumping volume. Great safety test.

OK this is kinda what the speed shop guy said. 99%+ in both so how much difference could it make?

So no 6 months Steve? I assumed I would go through the first 5 quickly as I have several track trips, and at first I will want to try it out a couple times :) But then it will get cooler and I assumed the 2nd 5 gallon would last. After that I will check back with the same guy on what he can get Sunoco for and may try it next time.

EB- How often do you go to Cedar Falls? I am thinking about driving down for Friday night Drags (2hr or less for me) .. Maybe next week not sure though.

Mac, just let me know when you are coming. I usually go at least once a month, but it's been too hot this summer. Only Fri I don't want to do is just before Labor Day, as kids and their families head up to Clear Lake. Willing to meet on Sept 7th. Also we will be gone to Ireland on the Fridays Sept 14 & 21st. My 3 kids live in Cedar Falls, so they always come out and drink beer while I race! You will like sons Jamie & Greg, and son-in-law Chris... All are motor heads.

Once back... Those weeks are always cooler so we can get some good times. Wanting to get a cool nite to try my Brick as stock with this wheel & tire package. Then... Up with the Tunes!!! Have both Stage 4a & Torrie's reg. top boosted tune for the current strategy code.

When you come down, if you haven't been there before, you want to turn right on Dunkerton Rd, just after going around Denver, IA. It will take you west, across new 218 and 1/4 mi further to Old 218. Strip is about a mile south.

Archived