Ecoboost Owner Forums

Can someone explain sport mode while shifting a 2013?

Let's say I want to do a 1/4 mile run, in S mode. Having already shifted to 1 to start. I was under the impression, the car would not shift until I tell it to.

However, I am finding that when I want to shift, the car has already decided to do t for me, and I go to 3rd instead of 2nd.

Is this the correct behavior? Do I just need to to worry about up shifts unless I want to do it early?

My experience with this situation is that it will run up to redline and hold for a moment and if you don't either let off or shift it will do it for you. I also have had the jump to third but I think it's my fault for shifting right when it wants too so it jumps to third. I usually leave the car to shift in a straight line and use the paddles for the twisties. It shifts different also if you engage paddles when in S mode then just drive it like an auto. And S mode without engaging paddles shifts different than D. I can be in S mode on the highway at 65 and put it into D and it will drop 1k of RPM.

My experience with this situation is that it will run up to redline and hold for a moment and if you don't either let off or shift it will do it for you. I also have had the jump to third but I think it's my fault for shifting right when it wants too so it jumps to third. I usually leave the car to shift in a straight line and use the paddles for the twisties. It shifts different also if you engage paddles when in S mode then just drive it like an auto. And S mode without engaging paddles shifts different than D. I can be in S mode on the highway at 65 and put it into D and it will drop 1k of RPM.

S mode locks out 6th gear (IIRC). Around town I always have it in S mode!! Love to hear the aggressive downshifts! LOL!

As for drag racing I always just leave it is S mode and never touch the paddles..

The paddle shifters were a big letdown for me for upshifts. The car automatically shifts whether you want to or not. My first few days I too was shifting right into 3rd gear. I dont have the PP installed is it the same in track mode? I do use the paddles for forcing downshifts otherwise driving around in S the gears automatically shift, and go into a higher gear to keep revs down but its a little more aggressive then D. The delay in shift with these paddles make them almost useless, but like I said for me forcing a downshift to keeps the revs higher is good for a rolling launch or aggressive turns.

Since installing the LMS Perf 93 tune, my car will not shift until I do via the paddles when in manual mode. The first time this happened I bounced off the rev limiter with complete shock. It does it in 1st and 2nd havent tried 3-6th gear yet. Also we have an adaptive shift program on the cars and it learns our shifting patterns. The tune was well worth the money!

Back in the day when I owned my Lincoln LS and put it in "semi-manual" mode, i.e. Select Shift, the RPMs would bounce at the redline (rev limited) until you shifted up. I was expecting the same behavior in the SHO, but turns out to not be the case. I also read in the manual the car will automatically downshift if the RPMs get too low to prevent stalling.

In any case, I was hoping tunes could "solve" this problem, but I guess solve is a wrong word... maybe "fix the preference" because if the car is willing to shift at the redline (and assuming this is optimal), then what's the problem? Like someone else said, use the downshift through the curves and let the car accelerate itself.

then what's the problem? Like someone else said' date=' use the downshift through the curves and let the car accelerate itself.[/quote']

The problem is me I guess. As I have stated before, this is the 1st automatic car i have owned in 20+ years, and only the 2nd in 15 cars over 25 years.

If the car will shift up automagically, why have an upshift button. Unless you want to force short shifts.

I understand the downshift button, for hill holds, and engine breaking in corners.

I guess I was just "expecting" the flappy paddle shifting to be the same as manually rowing with a gear shift, just no clutch pedal.

to quote "I must unlearn, what i have learned"

I have not noticed my 11 with the PP upshifting automatically either. I have also only noticed it downshifting on its own when I get down to about 5 mph, then it will down shift in to 1st. But, I also rarely use the paddle shifters. With the stock exhaust, even when the windows are open it's too difficult to hear the engine and if I'm driving aggressively enough to want to use the paddle shifters, I don't want to be looking at the tachometer to see when I should be shifting.

-Rod

Archived