Ecoboost Owner Forums

Why can the car (sync) conntect to your home wifi

goblues38

I am in IT. I know what I am doing with my home network. I cant get the sysnc system to connect to my home network at all. Even when I take all security off and leave the access wide open.

But more importantly, I cant figure out why the cra needs internet access. Nothing in sync requires a data connection outside of any apps you may have on your phone.

And the in car access point is real dumb. If, i wanted an acces spoint in the car, i can just make my phone the AP and people can connect to it. why add an extra layer and have the car rebrodcast my phones internet connection.

anyone have any more info. Show me what i am missing?

Why would you need to connect to your home network anyhow?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thats what i want to know. It is clearly an option ti connect to wi fi.

And the card I got from the dealer ofr GETTING STARTED WITH SYNC....the first line says..."Connect to an available wireless network to beign setting up your sync system"

I just found this too

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ford-focus-infotainment-sync-myford,3206-9.html

It says...""Ford equips its SYNC system with wireless networking capabilities. The integrated controller supports the 802.11b/g standards, which are perfectly adequate for in-car use. You can connect it to your home's wireless network, though there isn't much to do once you're connected to the Internet. ""

Futur expansion maybe?

and now i find this....

http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s434850

The wireless capabilities enabled by Broadcom wireless technology in the SYNC system transforms the passenger cabin experience, providing convenience for the driver and enjoyable new features for passengers:

High performance Wi-Fi capability built into the vehicle, allowing the system to connect to Internet "hot spots" or the driver's own home wireless access point when parked, enabling use of the car's built-in web browser;

The SYNC system also includes Broadcom's "soft access point" technology that allows the Broadcom enabled Wi-Fi component to serve as an access point so that any device, such as a laptop computer inside the vehicle, can gain wireless Internet access.

All things I fnd bits and pieces abut...but no real documentation

You can use the car as a "bridge" to allow other devices to connect to the SHO wifi hotspot but if they can connect to the car they can connect to the original hot spot like the car does so that is useless. I have connected mine to my droid wifi hotspot but there are no apps at this time and it will not download any updates. I "thought" how cool if it would update the navigation, or the sync software. Go on syncmyride the whole system is useless. Not one app exists for the system but its been programmed in for a few years.

You can use the car as a "bridge" to allow other devices to connect to the SHO wifi hotspot but if they can connect to the car they can connect to the original hot spot like the car does so that is useless. I have connected mine to my droid wifi hotspot but there are no apps at this time and it will not download any updates. I "thought" how cool if it would update the navigation' date=' or the sync software. Go on syncmyride the whole system is useless. Not one app exists for the system but its been programmed in for a few years.[/quote']

Exactly what I was thinking. If they can connect to the original hotspot,, y connect to the car. Foxfi works great to tether anything to my droid.

Archived