Ecoboost Owner Forums

Fuel system cleaning

I know it has been discussed before at that other place. But I cleaned mine today with 3m's fuel system cleaning kit. Since I do not have a scope to show a before or after result this will be merely a review of the process. With that said its a very simple process and went off with nearly no hiccups. It did generate a check engine light, when scanned it found fault in a overly rich mixture on both O2 sensors. I wasn't alarmed by this as I would think this would be normal for running the engine and spraying solvent in to the intake. Also it does cause the exhaust to smoke so best to do outside the garage. Tip: with our electric throttle if put car into accessory mode you can open and close throttle without running the engine when cleaning throttle body. I performed at 17k and plan to do every 15k and for $30 some dollar and change at autozone.

autogeek_2189_66767582.jpg

As a matter of practice wouldn't it be a good idea to do this right before you're going to change the oil? Ideally?

I would think I'd run the fuel system cleaner through 1st, and at the end of that tank run the valve and tb stuff through and at the end of that tank of gas change the oil.

Thoughts?

As a matter of practice wouldn't it be a good idea to do this right before you're going to change the oil? Ideally?

I would think I'd run the fuel system cleaner through 1st, and at the end of that tank run the valve and tb stuff through and at the end of that tank of gas change the oil.

Thoughts?

I understand your thinking on this and would tend to agree with you. That way any gunk that came off would get completely out of the engine with the oil change. Seems like the right idea to me.

What do you guys think about just adding some sea-foam to your gas and cleaning the fuel system that way?

That would help the fuel system from the tank to the injectors but not the air intake to the valves.

If the TB and intake tract is dirty that would need separate cleaning from the TB opening.

C.

With direct injected motor no fuel flows over valves. But sea foam has a spray now too' date=' that works in just the same way to clean air intake system.[/quote']

I guess I didn't realize that fuel doesn't flow over the valves in our motors! Thanks! I imagine that meth injection would clean the valves?

That's kinda what I was hoping would happen. I should find out soon because I'm sure my heads will be coming off!

Anxious to see how yours looks.

If I go to all of the trouble of doing a meth kit though I'm just going to install a standalone wet kit. Big IF though.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived