Ecoboost Owner Forums

Stall converter

Anyone has looked into this so far?

Two guys at the track owning 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 with both tune and Steeda CAI, one has stall converter the other not... Both auto. One can launch at 3,500-3,800 the other around 2,000... 60' of 1.6 vs 1.8 and 1/4 mile of 11.6 vs 11.9...

They are telling me that the SHO would be a bomb with that and definitely be in the 11's just with that.

Any comments and any possibilities?

Thanks!

What? The SHO is the bomb as is :) I have thought about it myself and have seen it debated. There are places that make custom stall converters so somebody could probably get one made if they wanted to.

The debate that is still unanswered for the most part is what the weak link is. There have been transmission failures but not on any of the cars with methanol, and no LMS tuned cars. So can the transmission take more abuse?

I work for a large equipment manufacturer that has many former automotive engineers. There is one in our transmission division who I have met but cant remember his name... He knew a lot about the SHO and the transmission used. I will ask around and see if I can get his name and track him down. If I find him and he has in-site I will post it up.

I agree with steve o, the stall on our converters is pretty high already. I can't say what the exact stall speed is but its over 2k and as my dyno chart showed I am making peak torque at 2500rpms. But I am no expert, I was told years ago while braking torquing whatever the max rpm you can run up is the converts stall speed. At least thats how it was with my 68 charger which 10" 3600 rpm stall in. I miss the car terribly but with that high of stall it was bitch driving on the street. Yow either crawled or went side ways there was no in between.

Hey guys...I posted on the other forum about this last year. Level 10 in New Jersey supposedly has one..the problem is they have a varied reputation. The problem I see is traction issues with a higher stall convertor. We are currently having trouble with traction as it is..I think a higher stall convertor will only make that issue worse. In addition, I dont think the added stress on the PTU is a good idea.

But...the other issue is finding a core. Level 10 doesnt have any..you would have to send them one. If we were going to go that route, I believe Circle D said they were interested in seeing what they could do if they had a core. They have a great reputation and I think I would lean toward them.

If I ever need to replace the transmission, I might go this route..I dont think I will pursue it before that though

Circle D is Chris Sehorn... I have a 3000 Circle D in my G8. Chris has been a lurker here as he Ordered an EB Explorer early on for his wife. I assume he has it by now. He and I talked about a stall for the Flex. If it makes sense... he will be doing it with his own vehicle

Personally, I don't think it would benefit our tranny due to the low HP & Torque limitations of the rear clutch pack, but if that could be beefed up, it could get the 60's as low as 1.6. Some of the RWD G8's are in the 1.5's! Check out their website. You have ridden in my G8 and can attest to it's driveability with the 3000 stall. However, it does need DR's to effectively hook up! I'm sure Chris would be happy to discuss his opinions with anyone via e-mail on their site.

Stripping tonite with G8.. 60 foots usually were 2+ before converter, and I still turned a 12.5 with serious bogging.

DR's do help! I had a spotter back a couple of winter's ago when I was bordering on 12's who noted how little my back wheels spun, and how much quicker the fronts would turn faster than rears. Problem with NittoDR's is their weight. My 18" Nittos are 8 lbs(30 lbs + wheel) heavier than my Hoosier 17"s (22 lbs) I run on my G8. Can only guess how heavy 20" Nitto DR's are. My guess is 35+ lbs.

Archived