Ecoboost Owner Forums

MIR, another 12.89 and some videos!

Scrming

Took a little 1400 mile round trip to Maryland! My friend organizes a track rental at Maryland International Raceway every year. MIR is a IHRA SANCTIONED TRACK! Last year we FROZE are butts off.. this year was quite different with the temp hitting 80 degrees or so! So last year the DA was like -2000 but we had a HUGE headwind... this year the DA was a LOT higher!

With the new Stage 5 I really did need to learn to launch the Flex all over again! Stage 5 seems to have so much low end power I can no longer launch the way I've been used to! I had to start launch more in the 1500 to 1700 RPM range! Even on an incredibly prepped track I was SLIPPING if I got to aggressive with my launch! After talking with Rick, i tried lowering my launch RPM and got much better results...

So... here it is... best run of the day.. another 12.89 with the temps almost 80 degrees! Even though MIR is only 87' above sea level the DA was 1400 at the time of this run!!!

MIR_10_05_12.jpg

And my proof of life photo:

mir_1.jpg

And first video... The Flex vs a pretty well modified 2009 Mustang GT:

[video=youtube;jfuL6J5Cex8]

Thanks, guys!!

@GP... yeah, have to launch softer now! My ALL SEASON TIRES just are up to a hard launch!!! What really amazed me is the 108.97 trap speed! I believe Stage 5 is now dialed in!!! LOL!

@Rick - OMG... i'm bad and don't keep a log book... Ok... i usually average 12 passes per track outing...and it looks like I've been to the track at least 20 times.... so I would say over 200 for sure... and maybe close to 250 passes...

Nice time! You definitely need some front DR's. I predict that when you get some really cold air, your tires will break loose even more, which won't help your 60's, though you might get a slight MPH gain. Have you tried to clean off & heat up the tires? Know this sounds wierd, but when I got my best run last fall, I drove thru water bath and then did a couple burnouts, or at least tried. It seemed to heat up the tires just enough so they hooked up enough so the system didn't shut down. Have you had the AWD system shut down by the computer yet? Darrell and I have and it is scary..

Nice time! You definitely need some front DR's. I predict that when you get some really cold air' date=' your tires will break loose even more, which won't help your 60's, though you might get a slight MPH gain. Have you tried to clean off & heat up the tires? Know this sounds wierd, but when I got my best run last fall, I drove thru water bath and then did a couple burnouts, or at least tried. It seemed to heat up the tires just enough so they hooked up enough so the system didn't shut down. Have you had the AWD system shut down by the computer yet? Darrell and I have and it is scary..[/quote']

Thanks!

No, DRs or even Summer tires... love the fact I'm doing this in complete street trim, meaning i leave the spare tire and pretty much every thing else in the car and I'm running all season tires... I like that I can pull into the track, cool down a bit, makes some passes and then head home when I'm done...

I have never had the AWD system shutdown yet...

Been watching all your videos on both boards, and your 1/2 shift is really FIRM!! Not so much so on the following gears.

I'm with Bob. If you had 4 drag radials for example, you got really cut the 60's times. Something with taller softer sidewalls, but that would require smaller wheels to keep your over all tire diameter the same (more money unfortunately). Could probably get you deep into the 12's

Been watching all your videos on both boards, and your 1/2 shift is really FIRM!! Not so much so on the following gears.

I'm with Bob. If you had 4 drag radials for example, you got really cut the 60's times. Something with taller softer sidewalls, but that would require smaller wheels to keep your over all tire diameter the same (more money unfortunately). Could probably get you deep into the 12's

Actually that's the dreaded 1-2 CLUNK SHIFT! You get to a certain power level and the 1-2 shift makes this horrendous CLUNK that shake the whole vehicle! First time I experienced it it scared the crap out of me... Doesn't seem to be a way to tune it out...

Perhaps next Spring I will rethink tires... who knows... LOL

Actually that's the dreaded 1-2 CLUNK SHIFT! You get to a certain power level and the 1-2 shift makes this horrendous CLUNK that shake the whole vehicle! First time I experienced it it scared the crap out of me... Doesn't seem to be a way to tune it out...

Perhaps next Spring I will rethink tires... who knows... LOL

Huh, you think that clunk is bad, you ought to take a ride in my 86 Grand National!! The tranny's been built to withstand over 700HP, the shifts rattle your teeth, and on top of that, I have a 7 disc lock up torque converter on it that hits even harder than the tranny!!!!

Dag! That's a hike to go racing. MIR's about 2 hours from me' date=' and yes, it's an amazing track. Good times too![/quote']

Thanks!

Yeah, a bit of a hike indeed... but it's also a little annual social event! A friend organizes the track rental every year, so it's always a good time! Also I've now backup up my times at a "sanctioned" track! LOL

Archived