Ecoboost Owner Forums

Question about TPMS

So I got some new A/S tires put on, and now my low tire pressure light is on. Can I reset this? They're all filled, but the light won't go off.

I called the place that put the tires on, but they don't seem to know much (they tried to convince me that summer tires were alright for the winter, so they lost credibility with me). He said I need to reset it in my car.

Anyone know what to do? I'd really rather not go back to that place as we've gone back and forth a few times already.

The TPMS is on the wheel not the tire, right? So it should just be a matter of resetting the computer?

Thanks in advance!

If this place you went to tried to sell you some crap story that tires rated strictly for Summer Use Only are good enough for Winter Use (depending on where your SHO's being used I suppose) then I would be willing to bet when they installed your A/S tires, they probably damaged one of your TPMS sensors. Either that, or the sensor itself just could've gone bad.

Which in turn, is causing your idiot warning light to illuminate.

If that's the case, ouch..... they're expensive to replace (per sensor).

There is NO resetting the idiot warning light on your instrument panel "from inside the car".

There is a separate tool that is used at each corner (or each tire) that is used to "train" or sync really, each sensor to the ECM.

There are a series of beeps of the horn, that tells your installer (as they are positioning the training tool at each separate tire) if the sync was performed correctly.

The TPMS sensors, depending on what model year you own, are either the banded style, or the valve style.

Yes, there is one sensor each, for each indivdual tire, and yes, the sensor(s) themselves are mounted directly onto the rim (albeit inside of it).

There is a thread around here somewhere that explains it more in detail. Search up for it and good luck :thumb:

If they sound like they don't know much about them then they most likely damaged it when they changed your tires.

I would go to a place that has the proper tools and training (preferable a shop with a Bartec tool) that can scan for each of your sensors and tell if any of them are non-responsive.

There are 2 possibilities for your sensor. If you have a 2010 up to May 2010 then you have the band type sensor (Dill part# 1048). If you have a post April 2010 or a 2011+ Taurus then you have the newer snap-in type sensor (Schrader part# 20315). You can probably expect to pay $65-$95 for either sensor plus tax. You can find cheaper alternative sensors (such as an Oro-Tek OSC-0315 or their universal sensor the OTI-001 for the 2011+ Taurus) for a few bucks cheaper ($50-$75), although they have metal valve stems vs. rubber ones so they will not match your other ones on the car. Then you will have to have a tire shop dismount your tire, install the sensor, remount and balance the tire and then do the relearn procedure, roughly $30-$50 in shop labor.

Those would be the options I would offer a customer who came into my store anyways.

My advice is to call around and ask a few tire shops if they deal with TPMS and have the proper equipment to handle them.

I always tell the tire shop that the sensor is in the tire so they dont damage it. If they know its in there than you brake it you fix it. If you dont leave the or turn the key on the sensor light will not come on. I know this because i take the wheels off my GT500 every year with no problem. I am not sure why you would need 4 reset tools to set the sensors all the sensors are the same. All they do is read air presser and they are the same for every car not just the Taurus

Oh4SHO, you don't mention if any of the tires were significantly under or over inflated. If, by chance, one or more were out by more than probably +/- 6psi (I don't recall the actual range) and you corrected the pressure to match your door sticker, you will need to go for a drive before the system will learn that the pressure is now correct (needs motion to wake up the sensor) and extinguish the light. I've experienced far too many shops that inflate tires to the sidewall pressure listing versus the vehicle's door sticker.

-Rod

I checked the factory service manual and see no provision for over-inflated tires, only under inflated. Additionally, there is some information on the particular messages that would be displayed on the Message Center, and what they can mean. If you find someone with a professional scan tool, the tool should be able to access the TPMS module and provided more detailed diagnostic codes. Following is an excerpt from the 2011 factory service manual regarding the Message Center descriptions.

-------------------

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Indicator Illuminates Continuously

The TPMS indicator remains on continuously for the following condition:

• Low Tire Pressure — The TPMS indicator is illuminated continuously and the message center displays LOW TIRE PRESSURE (if equipped). This is displayed when any of the tire pressures are low. When this condition exists, the tire pressure must be adjusted to the recommended cold pressure as indicated on the VC label.
  • NOTE: The TPMS sensors do not transmit when the vehicle is stationary. If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, it will be necessary to wake up the sensors so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the SJB .

• If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, carry out the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation procedure in this section.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Indicator Flashes

The TPMS indicator flashes for 70 seconds, then remains ON continuously when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, for the following conditions:

• Tire Pressure Sensor Fault — If equipped, the message center will display TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT when a tire pressure sensor is malfunctioning. GO to Symptom Chart .
    No communication with the SJB ( TPMS is integral to the SJB ) — The TPMS indicator is illuminated when the IPC has not received any signals from the SJB for more than 5 seconds. If equipped, the message center displays TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR FAULT. GO to Symptom Chart .
  • Tire Pressure Monitor Fault — If equipped, the message center will display TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR FAULT when the TPMS is malfunctioning or communication with the IPC has been lost. GO to Symptom Chart .

-------------------

-Rod

Archived