Ecoboost Owner Forums

Another 1st....Catless Downpipes! Installed 09/18/12

My enthusiasm has been renewed with recent progress of another rare mod.....

A long time in the works, I received some updates just today, that relates to custom made (one-off for now) catless downpipes and a new, smooth, all one size, hard intake pipe that will entirely eliminate that stupid "noise maker" contraption that stems off from the throttle body/intake piping.

Current guesstimates are this mod alone will be good for .4-.5 drop in 1/4 times (possibly more) as the OEM midpipes, and catalytic converters are OUTRAGEOUSLY restrictive.

I don't have any final timelines for project completion, and honestly, I understand now how rare these actually will turn out to be, so I've felt compelled to eat a lil crow with the developer and yield to that individuals time tables.

Just thought I'd share my enthusiasm with the rest of you, as progress is being made.

More pics/info to follow as they are provided to me.

Down/Mid Pipes, and Cats removed.....

DSC01916.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

New, Custom Exhaust Flange(s)..... and NO, that is NOT my thigh in this image.....

ExhaustFlange.jpg

New, Catless Down/Mid pipe fabricated and installed (from the front turbo/catalytic converter)......

ResizedImage951343236400646.jpg

I just may, with this mod alone, break into those 11's yet.....

Stay tuned fellow EB owners :juggle:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my next mod... For next year though. I talk with Torfie and I will start with aux trans cooler and t170... Better build progressively and keeping things cool. But I wanted definitely to replace those cats close to turbos... When do you expect ro have them installed and are you planning to go back to Licernois to have it dyno tuned again once installed to get the max power out of it?

Cool Mike!

I might be misinformed, however I remember reading somewhere that the stock setup ensures back pressure so the turbos can spool quicker. It makes sense to have a less restrictive exhaust for performance. Will this mod change the pressure in the turbos?

If you google catless turbo lag back pressure, all comments that show tells the exact opposite... I'd sure like to know for sure. However, if and when I go down that road, I'd like to see if an hybrid downpipe permitting to use or not a catless is possible. The mileage would most likely be poorer after deletion and the pollution is also a concern. Maybe a clip on catless down pipe that could replace the factory setup that would have to be removable... Isn't it Bob that has a switchable xpipe for third cat?

Very cool.... looking forward to your results...

My fear however is the resulting exhaust note... I've always been less than thrilled with the sound of a catless V6... perhaps the turbos will help it sound less raspy... but for me, I've learned to leave the stock cats alone on a V6... so, yes very curious what this setup will sound like!

Hennessey.......

Everything I've read up to this point, indicates that this will be a positive gain in whp, and wtq..... less heat, less restrictions.

Just like my engine hood vent mod (and all the discussions resulting from same) I won't definitively know until they've been installed.

Any of you who've even crawled under your cars once and peered at the factory exhaust set up (even to the untrained eye) can visually see all of the restrictions in the stock piping (the crushed bends, the crimps, the reduction in flow all throughout the entire plumbing, etc.) add the cats into the equation and one's left to wonder how exactly our system even performs as well as it does :noidea:

Again, I won't know for sure until fabrication has been completed, install performed, and then have it properly tuned by LMS for results.

I have stumbled across rare discussions about potentially losing a lil bit of bottom end (which can be remedied by tuning) for big gains in top end, so IDK at this point.

I've also stumbled across some potential over-speeding of the turbo's. Again, not sure.

I'm aware of an EB owner who's had their cats gutted (along with other mods) who hasn't experienced much improvement, but I wonder to myself how sound of a decision that may have been (to go that route) due to the fact that all of the stock plumbing (along with all the crushed bends, crimps, etc.) along with the stock cat housing's were retained?

I would equate all of the air spooling around in the gutted out stock cat housings with my kid's handing me their empty, 1gal plastic milk jug and me sloshing around a lil bit of water in it (to rinse it out) prior to toss'n it in the recycle bin.

Steve......

EBB does have a bolt on, X-Pipe mod that allows him to swap out his 3rd cat (and suitcase resonator) from what I understand, it allows him to swap it in/out at his own choosing/discretion.

I don't think however this may be as simple of an option to perform with this particular mod. I do plan on retaining my stock set up in the event it's "needed" for future reason(s) but I already have addressed any concerns within the tune, and rear o2's have already been disabled.

Also, since most of my driving is around town, between both work, and taxi cab'n the kids around, I'm not (nor ever have been) terribly worried about mileage.

Scrming.....

I too, like you and many others, am looking forward to the results.

You're suspicions about the exhaust note changing are accurate, I suspect there may be more drone introduced as a result of this mod.

But then again, like my lack of mileage concerns, it won't bother me having an exhaust note that is more indicative of letting the driver knows what's going on under her panels. :thumb:

I don't mind drone... my concern would be the amount of rasp when you hit hit 3000 RPM at WOT... "Fart Can" comes to mind... Losing the stock cats on my V6 Mustang was in fact the ONLY Mod i actually regretted doing... sounded amazing at cold start, idle and cruising... but go WOT, it was embarrassing... LOL

sounded amazing at cold start' date=' idle and cruising... but go WOT, it was embarrassing... LOL[/quote']

John: I understand that a fart can sound is not the best, but if it is the cost to have a 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 11.9 seconds... I wouldn't care much... The embarrassment would be for the Shelby behind Mike's SHO having to hear and smell his can fart! lol

I understand that a fart can sound is not the best, but if it is the cost to have a 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 11.9 seconds...

I wouldn't care much...

The embarrassment would be for the Shelby behind Mike's SHO having to hear and smell his can fart!

A big amen to that :hail:

I've also stumbled across some potential over-speeding of the turbo's. Again, not sure.

I submit this on this subject. The idea of allowing exhaust to escape with more ease, should not cause over speeding of turbos. They will spool faster with less restriction and get up set boost, but the PCM and waste gate will control turbos speed and boast. I hypothisise(sp) that the only way you get over speeding is if you modify waste gate or have failure in the PCM control, or program in higher PSI :)

John: I understand that a fart can sound is not the best' date=' but if it is the cost to have a 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 11.9 seconds... I wouldn't care much... The embarrassment would be for the Shelby behind Mike's SHO having to hear and smell his can fart! lol[/quote']

If it sounds as horrible as my Mustang did... well, it maybe acceptable and tolerable for a short period, but eventually you wouldn't be able to stand it! I'm thinking however the turbos should soften the harsh rasp someone so the exhaust maybe more acceptable...

A big amen to that :hail:

You can make a Honda go faster than a Shelby... so would you drive one of those? For me you have to look at the WHOLE package, including the exhaust note! Car may look great, be amazingly fast, but if it sounds like a riced out Honda.... sorry, won't be in my driveway! LOL!

Really looking forward what the end result of your project is!

Guest 4DRHTRD
If it sounds as horrible as my Mustang did... well' date=' it maybe acceptable and tolerable for a short period, but eventually you wouldn't be able to stand it! I'm thinking however the turbos should soften the harsh rasp someone so the exhaust maybe more acceptable...[/quote']

Mustang = V8 no turbos, SHO = turbos, turbos add a bit of their own muffle to the mix

A buick GN with cutout

A mustang with cutouts

My old 96 Impala had cutouts and it was annoying, I had a Mazdaspeed6 with a cutout and catless DP and it was awesome, the turbo was the huge difference (besides the 4 cylinders)

Just my 2cents.

That being said I'd love to do catless DP into stock exhaust with boost activated cutouts on my Flex, quiet most of the time but loud when I was the HP.

Mike is that your car in the photo? It doesn't appear to be your wheels on the car, or is the mock-up for the system you are getting? Either way, I like since it seems that it is the part of our exhaust where it is really restricted, well, besides the tiny diameter of the stock exhaust manifolds.

Baby steps closer.......

From what I understand, just have to incorporate the flex pipes, and I shipped out the metal bung (for my EGT/Pyro Gauge Sensor to be welded) the other day.

Here's another image with the pipes coming from the rear (up the center of the car) where they'll meet up with the new catless pipes and where the flex pipes will be inserted in line......

ResizedImage951343775036377.jpg

Mark...... that is not my car in the images I've posted. This mod, to my knowledge is the 1st (and only) of it's kind thus far.

It is being hand built, painstakingly one piece at a time, on another 2010 SHO.

Scott...... thank you for the tidbit of info you've provided on the perceived over-speeding potential (or lack there of should I say) of the turbo's. Good info to be aware of

John...... I too am excited at the final outcome. I have personally heard my exhaust (from the cats back, minus everything else) when we did the custom cat-back set up I am currently running. We started up the car after removing all of the OEM stuff, and listened to it prior to installing all of the custom cat-back and x-pipe stuff.....

It wasn't anywhere near like a ricer. I know where you're coming from, and I agree with you, those set-ups can be annoying. I am confident that won't be the case here with this particular set-up after we install this latest exhaust mod (the catless down/mid-pipes).

Additionally, although it's a completely different animal, I had LT headers, high-flow cats, and DMH cutouts on my last project car ('07 Charger).....

Again, different animal, but I LOVED it! I have always been a fan of a louder exhaust setup. Louder versus ricer. As with all of the others mods I've done with the SHO, it's been charting new territory on some, if not most, of what I've accomplished. I know others were nay sayers of some of the things I've done, but it seems like it has grown even on those who were kind of, umm..... idk.... let's say "iffy" about various projects.

I think the same rationale will apply here as well.

My primary goal with this latest exhaust project is intended for performance gains. The increased sound and/or changed tone will just be an ancilliary, added bonus.

Mike this exhaust is most impressive, I really, really like it. I believe it will sound fine, fine as more of a muscle sound then a rice sound. I am really anxious to see how it improves 1/4 mile times. One last question, do you have your ear to the rail as to headers or an improved exhaust manifold for our cars...not that I have heard or seen anything, just wondered if you might have any hints of these being considered?

Mike this exhaust is most impressive' date=' I really, really like it. I believe it will sound fine, fine as more of a muscle sound then a rice sound. I am really anxious to see how it improves 1/4 mile times. One last question, do you have your ear to the rail as to headers or an improved exhaust manifold for our cars...not that I have heard or seen anything, just wondered if you might have any hints of these being considered?[/quote']

V6 will never really sound muscle... better description may be EXOTIC, like Ferrari...and not Rice like Honda... IMHO... ;)

And.. I was just about to tell them of your new mod Mike, the re-painting of the bottom of your SHO to Red-Candy!!!!

As for noise... my deletion of 3rd cat & mid-muffler + x-pipe add made the Brick louder. In the front 2 rows it was noticeable but not an issue. Sitting in the 3rd seat was a bit annoying according to my wife, who rides back there when we have 6 in the car. Would imagine it will be much louder with cats deleted completely.

Archived