Ecoboost Owner Forums

Leaking Green??

Hey guys,

Noticed there was a puddle underneath my car today when I backed out. It's a decent size and it seems green. It doesn't look think enough to be oil. Curious if anyone knew what fluid I would be leaking if it was a greenish/black color and not very thick. Almost water like.

Hey guys,

Noticed there was a puddle underneath my car today when I backed out. It's a decent size and it seems green. It doesn't look think enough to be oil. Curious if anyone knew what fluid I would be leaking if it was a greenish/black color and not very thick. Almost water like.

Seriously?!?! Is someone Trolling???

Definately coolant- sometimes green, orange or red depending on type. If you touch a little on tongue (little) it will taste sweet. Oil is brown, black or like honey if its fresh. Tranny fluid is red or reddish brown and really greasy feeling when rubbed between the fingers. Similar to oil in texture but lighter. Gear oil has a distinct smell and is a very thick texture it is also colored like oil. Brake fluid is thin and clear when new and tan when used you should never lose brake fluid. It does not evaporate or burn away. If you notice fluid is low and there are no leaks then you are probably about ready for pads. Adding brake fluid will only cause an overflow when new pads are installed. It is normal to burn or use some oil between changes. If you unscrew the oil fill or check your oil and it looks milky then you have coolant entering the oil supply. Some light milky foam on the oil fill cap may be normal if you do short stop and go in colder weather. If you notice the light foam go for a long drive so the engine will heat up enough to evaporate the moisture from condensation. I know some of this is very basic or some however for others it may be informative. Please feel free to correct or add.

Definately coolant- sometimes green' date=' orange or red depending on type. If you touch a little on tongue (little) it will taste sweet. Oil is brown, black or like honey if its fresh. Tranny fluid is red or reddish brown and really greasy feeling when rubbed between the fingers. Similar to oil in texture but lighter. Gear oil has a distinct smell and is a very thick texture it is also colored like oil. Brake fluid is thin and clear when new and tan when used you should never lose brake fluid. It does not evaporate or burn away. If you notice fluid is low and there are no leaks then you are probably about ready for pads. Adding brake fluid will only cause an overflow when new pads are installed. It is normal to burn or use some oil between changes. If you unscrew the oil fill or check your oil and it looks milky then you have coolant entering the oil supply. Some light milky foam on the oil fill cap may be normal if you do short stop and go in colder weather. If you notice the light foam go for a long drive so the engine will heat up enough to evaporate the moisture from condensation. I know some of this is very basic or some however for others it may be informative. Please feel free to correct or add.[/quote']

Nice job on this! I really wanted to type something close but it caught me at a bad time and I just wanted to make sure his question was answered ASAP

The coolant is green in color.

Why do I know? Because I had two occasions to drain and refill it. Well 3 occasions actually now that I think of it.

1st time when I removed the factory t-stat, and replaced it with a lower, 170 degree thermo, I had to top it off a lil bit.

2nd time when I retro-fitted the 2013 Auxiliary Trans Cooler

3rd time recently, when I retro-fitted the 2013 Auxiliary Oil Cooler

I don't think Ford's been known to use the Dex-Cool stuff (orange in color).

Suffice it to say, I would concur with other's posted opinions based upon the OP's description of this fluid, sounds to me like a coolant leak of some nature.

Part of the problem (if you want to call it a problem) lies with the fact that we each have those under belly plastic covers / pans.

A lot of any fluid type of leaks are going to be masked for quite some time until one removes those pans, and performs an actual visual inspection of the bottom side of the motor and it's corresponding attached parts.

I would recommend starting there 1st.

If the blanket material on the larger under belly pan is wet, with any type of fluid, good indicator that not only do you have a leak, but probably have had one for some time now and it just went undetected.

Good luck!

If you touch a little on tongue (little) it will taste sweet.

I heard that recently a bittering agent has been mandated for all new coolant to make it less likely for kids and pets to lap it up. I haven't tried this or researched it to confirm, but I'm just suggesting that if someone tastes a green leak under a late model car and it isn't sweet, don't necessarily conclude it's not coolant.

-Rod

Hey guys,

My question is this, where is it was parked was it your garage or driveway? Just rule out its not someone elses leak.

It was in my garage in IT'S parking space ;)

I took it to Ford today and they said they found no leaks. I hope they are correct, because it was a decent amount of fluid on the floor. I cleaned it up and am going to leave it parked for a day to see if anything else shows up. We did have some rain for a few days, so it might be nothing. But since it was so green, I didn't want to take any chances.

Now that I have the car back, my check engine light came on. I plugged my SCT scanner into it and had it read out the problem. Said #4 cylinder mis-fire. I am going to clear the code and see if it happens again. If it does....back to FORD! lol

I have an extended warranty on the vehicle, hence why I am not hesitant to bring it to them.

Archived