Ecoboost Owner Forums

Hello! Happy owner of a new 2013 SHO PP! Toronto, Ontario

ShoBoat

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff, I am an extremely happy owner of a 2013 SHO PP Black on Black. For the last month I have shopped around for a new ride. And boy did I test drive quite a few cars, everything from imports to GM and Chrysler. For some reason I didn't consider the SHO at first, I'm not sure why. I almost had mind set on a 2012 CTS-V, insanely quick but fuel economy and winter driving were bugging me about it. I was at my Ford dealer getting our 2011 Explorer serviced when I spied this really great looking car. Our sales rep that sold us the Explorer walked over and asked me if I wanted to take it for a drive. I paused for a bit, then I noticed that he had a dealer plate and the keys in his hands already. Although not as quick as the CTS-V (Obviously) I was floored when I drove it, I couldn't stop smiling. How could something so big feel so good to drive (And get good mileage too?) Not to mention that the SHO's electronics was at least 6 years ahead of the Caddy's (The 2006 Cadillac SRX we had in the past used a similar nav system, It really needs an update). There was also the $30k cost difference to the Caddy, and for the life of me I could not justify it. So I've had the SHO for about a week now and have never looked back. I'm looking forward to doing some mods once I have a few more K on it. I have read some of the crazy 1/4 mile times you guys are getting, all I can say is wow. Really looking forward to tuning it! I would have posted some pics of it but it hasn't stopped raining since I picked it up.

One small issue with my SHO, No freaking HIDs! Damn Canadian law!!:yell:

Not sure about Canadian spec'd cars..... But the PP has summer only performance tires. That kind of shoots your winter driving I the foot. I am going to wait it out and see what happens in our first dusting. But I think I will be getting a set of all seasons tires for winter. St Louis can't justify full snow tires, but summer only prolly won't fly dec-feb.

Congrats on the new ride. Post some pix.

Not sure about Canadian spec'd cars..... But the PP has summer only performance tires. That kind of shoots your winter driving I the foot. I am going to wait it out and see what happens in our first dusting. But I think I will be getting a set of all seasons tires for winter. St Louis can't justify full snow tires, but summer only prolly won't fly dec-feb.

Congrats on the new ride. Post some pix.

Thanks You are correct, it comes with summer only tires. I have ordered an 18 snow tire package from my dealer. Its the same as the police package rims and hubcaps! That should look interesting as my SHO is black :RpS_cool:. A pic below the day I got it home.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

post-912-142532288629_thumb.jpg

post-912-142532288629_thumb.jpg

Sheesh' date=' what's Canada got against HID"s anyways?! You sound as excited as I was when I got mine, just can't stop driving it....[/quote']

Not sure about the past, but 2013 about 50% of all SHO's in Canada have the PP on them. According to my dealer it's getting harder to get them without PP lately.

I sure am exited, always looking for an excuse to get out. I just wish it would stop raining...... This weekend is supposed to be sunny. We haven't seen the sun in 8 days here!

Welcome aboard EBOF :welcome:

Always cool knowing that our family here continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

Make good use of all of the info posted here thus far.

Lot of great, knowledgeable & better yet, helpful members here, as well as a small handful of Supporting Vendors.

We look forward to your involvement, and to hearing all about your experiences with your EcoBoost product :thumb:

Mike :yo:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I ran those stock tires last winter, they aren't too bad if you just slow down and take it easy; which is what you're supposed to do in the winter! Being they don't last very long (the F1's) I already had to get new tires. Went with the Good Year allseason RSA's.

I doubt the average Joe, using the car for a dd, can tell the difference between the RSA and F1's.

I ran those stock tires last winter, they aren't too bad if you just slow down and take it easy; which is what you're supposed to do in the winter! Being they don't last very long (the F1's) I already had to get new tires. Went with the Good Year allseason RSA's.

I doubt the average Joe, using the car for a dd, can tell the difference between the RSA and F1's.

The 2010 SHO had the AS tires already. My 2013 has them now :)! It was the STS V that was so bad in the wet.

A quick note on winter tires. More companies are making a performance oriented winter tire that is far better than an all season in the snow and cold in general. I got a set of Kumho's for cheap. I know Falken is making a set also. They are more popular in Europe, but it's basically a tire that is not as knobby, but still has the benefits of sipes (sp?) and tread design for the winter. Not as good in snow as blizzaks and others, but will be better than all seasons in slush and ice...which is what most people in an urban environment experience. I cannot wait to try mine when I get out to Cali. (sorry, wasn't as "quick" as I thought it would be.

What HID did you bought?

The kit I have is the Migo VX3 9006 (the 9012 are still hard to come by) the 9006 will fit with a small modification to one of the tabs on the bulb socket. The kit I have has the warning canceller built in and works well, the new 9012 bulbs may be better than regular halogen bulbs but are still not even close to real HID's.

I finally got a chance to put a few coats on Zanio on the car, was waiting for it to stop freaking raining. The metallic flake is pretty intense to say the least. I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow in the sunlight.

I noticed in your sig that you have the LMS tune setup on yours. How do you like it so far? This may sound like a silly question but, with the tune loaded what happens when you shift into S? Does the throttle response and transmission response still change? Just curious on how the tune effects the different modes on the car.

A quick note on winter tires. More companies are making a performance oriented winter tire that is far better than an all season in the snow and cold in general. I got a set of Kumho's for cheap. I know Falken is making a set also. They are more popular in Europe' date=' but it's basically a tire that is not as knobby, but still has the benefits of sipes (sp?) and tread design for the winter. Not as good in snow as blizzaks and others, but will be better than all seasons in slush and ice...which is what most people in an urban environment experience. I cannot wait to try mine when I get out to Cali. (sorry, wasn't as "quick" as I thought it would be.[/quote']

Another alternative would be Hakkapeliitta R's (not the 7's) I had a set on an SRX we had and they were great, I left them on for one summer as they were getting to the end of their life span. I was surprised on how good they were during the summer months. Unfortunately in the Toronto area winters have become more unpredictable. 4 years ago we had one of the worst winters (for snow) in sometime. Last winter we got almost nothing (just lots of rain). I don't have the option of always working from home, there are times I just have to get there. :RpS_sad:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949

Jeff

A quick note on winter tires. More companies are making a performance oriented winter tire that is far better than an all season in the snow and cold in general. I got a set of Kumho's for cheap. I know Falken is making a set also. They are more popular in Europe' date=' but it's basically a tire that is not as knobby, but still has the benefits of sipes (sp?) and tread design for the winter. Not as good in snow as blizzaks and others, but will be better than all seasons in slush and ice...which is what most people in an urban environment experience. I cannot wait to try mine when I get out to Cali. (sorry, wasn't as "quick" as I thought it would be.[/quote']

Another alternative would be Hakkapeliitta R's (not the 7's) I had a set on an SRX we had and they were great, I left them on for one summer as they were getting to the end of their life span. I was surprised on how good they were during the summer months. Unfortunately in the Toronto area winters have become more unpredictable. 4 years ago we had one of the worst winters (for snow) in sometime. Last winter we got almost nothing (just lots of rain). I don't have the option of always working from home, there are times I just have to get there. :RpS_sad:

The kit I have is the Migo VX3 9006 (the 9012 are still hard to come by) the 9006 will fit with a small modification to one of the tabs on the bulb socket. The kit I have has the warning canceller built in and works well' date=' the new 9012 bulbs may be better than regular halogen bulbs but are still not even close to real HID's. [/quote']

Did you kept the lens and projectors? You just changed the bulbs and add ballasts?

I noticed in your sig that you have the LMS tune setup on yours. How do you like it so far? This may sound like a silly question but' date=' with the tune loaded what happens when you shift into S? Does the throttle response and transmission response still change? Just curious on how the tune effects the different modes on the car. [/quote']

1. Loving it|

2. Yes it does! I use the "D" for highway or soft comfortable rides and "S" for street and more agressive driving. Huge difference in fact!

Jeff

The closest size for those tires is 255/35R20, 27 inches overall diameter. I wonder if it fits the stock 20in rims... I need to buy winter tires soon.

bigPelo,

I am using the stock headlight assemblies, the actual bulb that comes in the 2013 is a new style 9012 bulb. This is very similar to the 9006 bulb, with a small modification to the tab on the side of the bulb it fits right in the socket. I opted for the 4300K bulbs. I first installed 6000K and they almost looked green. I am guessing the projectors shift the color of the light a bit. The 4300K's look just like the stock HID's. Can't tell them from the factory HID's on our Explorer. if you are sporting halogen you won't be sorry.

Those tires should fit, but personally I would go with a set of 18" steel wheels (like the ones I'm getting from the police package) and tires. The 20's will run you almost the same for just the tires. That way you won't need to worry about messing up the 20's in the show. and god forbid you rub a curb no worries! So long as it's not to hard ;)

Jeff

bigPelo,

I am using the stock headlight assemblies, the actual bulb that comes in the 2013 is a new style 9012 bulb. This is very similar to the 9006 bulb, with a small modification to the tab on the side of the bulb it fits right in the socket. I opted for the 4300K bulbs. I first installed 6000K and they almost looked green. I am guessing the projectors shift the color of the light a bit. The 4300K's look just like the stock HID's. Can't tell them from the factory HID's on our Explorer. if you are sporting halogen you won't be sorry.

And where did you bolt the ballasts?

Those tires should fit, but personally I would go with a set of 18" steel wheels (like the ones I'm getting from the police package) and tires. The 20's will run you almost the same for just the tires. That way you won't need to worry about messing up the 20's in the show. and god forbid you rub a curb no worries! So long as it's not to hard ;)

Jeff

But I want custom rims for summer and keep the OE for winter... Pricey I know :baby:

Oh! and :welcome: :canada:

And where did you bolt the ballasts?

But I want custom rims for summer and keep the OE for winter... Pricey I know :baby:

Oh! and :welcome: :canada:

Thanks! Of you are keeping the stocks for winter then go for it!

I didn't bolt the ballasts, the kit came with some double sided tape. One is stuck on the side of the battery and the other is on the inner fender well.

I didn't bolt the ballasts' date=' the kit came with some double sided tape. One is stuck on the side of the battery and the other is on the inner fender well.[/quote']

For some reason the kit I got (for my 09 Impala SS) had a warning not to mount the ballast on the battery - no idea why.