Ecoboost Owner Forums

Speaking Of Fuel

mjhpadi

Earlier this week I filled the car with Sunoco 260 (93 Octane). I was never a Sunoco fan because I have always tracked mileage very closely and noticed in other vehicles and the SHO that Sunoco never delivered the same mileage as other fuels. Anyway, sure enough by yesterday I have noticed that my average mileage with the Sunoco has dropped about 2.5 mpg. This is right in line with what I have experienced in the past. I don't have a reason for this, same trips, same type of driving, but with the Sunoco it seems that the mileage is always 2-4 mpg less then what I experience using other fuels. Also, I don't notice any kind of performance increase with the Sunoco that would account for a bit of mileage loss. Anyone else have a similiar experience?

That is a huge relative drop. I always get Marathon 93 gas. Are you positive it is the gas this time' date=' or could it be the drop in temperatures?[/quote']

Almost positive that it is the gas. I have had the same experience with both my F-150 and my Lincoln Mark LT whenever I used Sunoco fuel. I do understand that with the change to winter fuel we get it does have a mileage drop, but the Sunoco fuel shows even a bigger drop then the others premium fuel. And the mileage will immediately go up if I use almost any other premium fuel available in my area. (Other then Sheetz gas, I am not a fan of their fuel).

In order to run stage 5, I need to fuel 93 octane or up and here in Quebec, there is only Petro-Canada (subsidary of Sunoco) that offers 94... All the others are offering 91 max! So, I have no comparison point... But my mileage is not incredible compared to what others are stating and that is without counting the use of methanol on top!

But all worth it anyways... I wish other stations would offer at least 93...

I don't think that we are supposed to run e85 in our car. I think if you open the gas door there is a symbol in there that looks like a circle with e85 with a line drawn through it. If you run e85 you will get lousy fuel mileage. Nascar found this out quick. My wife drives the SHO on a daily basis and gets 25=+ fuel mileage. I get around 24 or so. Mostly I use Chevron but here lately I have been using Safeway gas with the same results. I have been running Safeway gas in all my other cars with no problems. I have 6 cars. The price difference between Safeway and Chevron is about 50 cents a gallon.

I don't think that we are supposed to run e85 in our car. I think if you open the gas door there is a symbol in there that looks like a circle with e85 with a line drawn through it. If you run e85 you will get lousy fuel mileage. Nascar found this out quick. My wife drives the SHO on a daily basis and gets 25=+ fuel mileage. I get around 24 or so. Mostly I use Chevron but here lately I have been using Safeway gas with the same results. I have been running Safeway gas in all my other cars with no problems. I have 6 cars. The price difference between Safeway and Chevron is about 50 cents a gallon.

Oh no I wouldn't run E85 with the SHO I was running a Mix with the Mazdaspeed3 I just traded in. Has anyone tried running a E85 mix yet in these cars? Just with alittle E my speed3 gained 25hp-20tq with a 3gal mix. obviously custom tune.

The gas that they sell in Quebec always contain ethanol. There is a law since 2010 stating that they need to have a minimum of 5% ethanol in their mix. So, they can add up to 10% ethanol and say that all car manufacturers build their cars so that there aren't any damages with the use of ethanol up to 10%... Should I mention it to Livernois for them to adjust the tune... Maybe my 11's is just there! lol

You guys got me into this now. I usually fill up with Sunaco ultra I filled up with Shell today and will monitor usage. I do local driving so I avg around 15-17MPG. When I reset from the last tank of Sunaco today it said 14.7 mpg and i did some highway driving yesterday that normally ups my avg mpg. Conspiracy??

maybe if you put some 93 octane sunoco stickers on your car they will carry it if you sponsor them? try it out, i know you like stickers buddy :tea:

You should start a petition drive there Steve (for more stations to carry 93+ octane)

I mean hell, you'd think having like the world's most records in a SHO / Eco platform, they'd be catering to your every whim!

:boink:

You guys got me into this now. I usually fill up with Sunaco ultra I filled up with Shell today and will monitor usage. I do local driving so I avg around 15-17MPG. When I reset from the last tank of Sunaco today it said 14.7 mpg and i did some highway driving yesterday that normally ups my avg mpg. Conspiracy??

Wow, I'm surprised to see your mileage this low, even when I drive the car in a spirited way, I usually see the mileage in the 21-22 range. But I don't do a lot of local driving where I am sitting in traffic.

• 3 weeks later...
^^This is the kind of mileage I normally get (according to the computer) actually mileage is more in the 22-24 range. However' date=' with this tank of Sunoco, I'm seeing that reduced to 21-22 (computer) and I am estimating that it will be below 20mpg actually mileage when I refill.[/quote']

Mark I decided to put this to the test as I had been using sunoco exclusively in my car since new. Well I am happy to say my gas milage is up about 2mpg a gallon which about 19mpg now from 17mpg. Thanks for the tip!

I think the question is what are the Ford engineers using for testing? On my 06 ST, it says BP is recommended on the gas cap (Which I have had problems in the past with my Diamond Star twins) but that could just be a paid advertisement.

Unless I am traveling and it's unavailable, Shell is the exclusive fuel for my cars.

^^This is the kind of mileage I normally get (according to the computer) actually mileage is more in the 22-24 range. However' date=' with this tank of Sunoco, I'm seeing that reduced to 21-22 (computer) and I am estimating that it will be below 20mpg actually mileage when I refill.[/quote']

Never ceases to amaze me that people actually rely on the "on-board" competer for their mileage values! You should always had calculate your fuel mileage for accurate results. The on board computer is not only innacurage but also very inconsistent. I had calculate every drop of fuel through mine, while also noting what the on board computer says. My on board computer is always higher than actual, and varies by anywhere from .5 to 2.5 mpg higher. Far too inconsistent to be relied upon for anything.

I will be following this thread closely. I have always used Sunoco in all my previous performance cars. I will try filling up with Hess which is the only other 93 octane fuel available right now. My onboard reading is about 1 mpg less then calculating by mileage and fuel fill up. I have averaged 19.2 mpg for the first 1200 miles I have owned this Flex. I used 93 Sunoco in my last ride which was a 2012 Mustang GT. I did manage to average about 22 mpg over 6000 miles which is pretty good for a performance car.