Ecoboost Owner Forums

Loss of power?

My SHO is pretty much stock except for a Livernois stage 2 tune (91 octane).

Car has been amazing until I just got my Magnaflow mufflers installed. The gas mileage seemed to drop a little and the car doesn't seem as fast. :RpS_sad:

My question is, do I need to retune it since I freed up the exhaust a bit?

Is the car designed to run with the amount of back pressure from the factory crap mufflers?

I thought you guys might know before I bother Rick with an email for a retune, thanks a lot for any info.

I had a pretty good run up the mountain tonight and the car felt really strong. I haven't checked the knock sensors yet but the car has 28k on it so it's possible they are rubbing. Will look into the next couple days when i get a moment to work on her a little, thanks a lot for the advice.

Definitely not a bad muffler though as there both flowing just fine.

I don't believe that it was ever corrected, Ford does not know this problem exists (as far as we are aware). My dealer had never heard of this problem until I showed the service manager, since it was discovered by one of the guys here. I think that the wires may have been moved on the 13's but I can't say that for sure.

My SHO is pretty much stock except for a Livernois stage 2 tune (91 octane).

Car has been amazing until I just got my Magnaflow mufflers installed. The gas mileage seemed to drop a little and the car doesn't seem as fast. :RpS_sad:

You may want to clear the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) to see if that helps out. The KAM is the memory that tailors parameters based on your driving style. I've found that over time they seem to cause a decrease in performance and once I clear the KAM, the car seems to wake up again.

It's unclear if you can clear the KAM by clearing the codes on our SHO's, but if you put the car back to stock and then retune it will certainly clear the KAM.

-Rod

Thanks for that info SHO Rod. I never thought about that but I usually return my car to stock every other week when my wife uses my SHO to commute to work to save miles on her car which is a lease. Stage 2 is great to drive around on for me so when a guy in a challenger or camaro pulls up next to me at the light, i can rev at them, watch them laugh, then smoke the crap out of them to the next light. In fact, My buddy mike just cammed and tuned his RT challenger. He also has strait pipes and headers with a bigger TB and i still smoked him by a car and a half tonight only on stage 2!

Thanks for that info SHO Rod. I never thought about that but I usually return my car to stock every other week when my wife uses my SHO

Not sure why you would return it to stock when your wife drives it....I know I get better gas mileage with the tune my wife is going to drive her normal way, regardless of how the car is tuned. I would suggest leaving the tune in the car, you might be pleasantly surprised by seeing a slight improvement in mpg.

Thanks for the extra tip shorod, I had no idea about the KAM. The wires aren't chaffed like I was thinking, so maybe I'll just reset the car to factory then back to stage 2. The car has been running fine for several days now so not really sure at this time ,bad fuel was a possible cause too.....

Just as an aside, but generally speaking the "harder" (and faster) a trans shifts the less wear it generally takes because it's less time the clutch packs have to slip. That's as long as the rest of the hardware isnt under spec for provided torque of course.

Counter-intuitive I know, but still :).

Boy, I can't remember if I ran Stage 2 or 3 before going to 4+ but I know that the car never shifted that hard and doesn't with the current tune. Maybe if you are still having the hard shift you could try running Stage 3 and see if that is more to your wife's liking. But I think shifting back and forth makes it really difficult for the car to "learn" driving habits.