Ecoboost Owner Forums

Trunk Struts

Just ordered a new pair of trunk struts after the trunk lid about knocked me out! $39 plus shipping on Amazon. I figure that's cheaper than the $150 co-pay at the E.R. That's crazy that they wore out that fast.

can you post a link? I wonder if the struts are the same for the MKS?

Funny I see this post.....

I recall my trunk lid struts having gone bad too (last Winter) now that I think of it.

I nearly got knocked out myself when I was reloading my SHO with all my gear from my work vehicle.

Trunk lid came down with a good degree of speed and I caught it, just in time before it whacked me like my Wife does when I make comments in front of her about other attractive women walking on by.....

:bolt:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Funny I see this post.....

I recall my trunk lid struts having gone bad too (last Winter) now that I think of it.

I nearly got knocked out myself when I was reloading my SHO with all my gear from my work vehicle.

Trunk lid came down with a good degree of speed and I caught it, just in time before it whacked me like my Wife does when I make comments in front of her about other attractive women walking on by.....

:bolt:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

LOL! Mine just says "Look all you want, but your still going home with me." LOL

Mine stays up' date=' but it takes effort for me to lift it up in the first place. Is that normal? I am used to our Cadillac, which when you hit the button, the trunk completely opens by itself.[/quote']

Like yours mine is needing some help to get all the way up. I have noticed a temp factor. In the summer mine is almost normal but if I'm not carefully in the winter and just assume it went up by itself I have whacked myself. Since I'm folically challenged any whack upside the head is taken seriously. I took mine in to the dealer last summer and since it was warm at the time, the dealer decided the struts were performing as designed. I think I'll change mine out myself.

Its always baffled me some what on why they fail so frequently for people. I never have had one fail on me on any car I've owned. I dont want to come off as smartass either, but I have some theories as to why at least I haven't had a failure. I know when cold they are very slow actuate I never force them to quickly, like now on the show when cold and I have to open the hood they work pretty good until the hood 2/3's of the way open the last 1/3 they need a little assist and the last is merely light lift of the hand. And for closing I care the hood down to about 6" to close then drop.

But I have seen folks swing the hood down from fully open, and this has create a tremendous amount of pressure in the strut. And even more when cold as the gases inside is more condensed and oil even thicker.

Now that said, my thought are merely a my theory and not saying anyone here is mistreating there cars. For myself it may just be pure luck.

Hmm, Chris, interesting theory...never gave it much thought until this thread...I will have to check how mine are working, especially since it is going to the dealer on Tuesday for it's 22K service. I will also ask my service manager his thoughts on the subject, since the guys at my dealer are pretty sharp and willing to share info if they are not busy.

Tss' date=' my MKS trunk lid behaves like yours - takes some effort to lift but then easily stays up. I am surprised to hear of people needing the struts replaced so soon. That is an item that I never expected to wear out.[/quote']

Thanks Bruce. Nice to be able to confirm that it is operating like others.

Todd

Just a short update...talked with my service manager when I picked up the SHO today about the struts. He said they haven't experienced much problem with them but says he's not surprised that they are needing replaced. His thoughts were that they are a rather cheap part to begin with and that they are really not made to last. The struts are really not that well made and in his experience even the replacement struts available aren't much better quality then the original. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but I can't disagree with him. I have them fail on all types of vehicles from our 98 Taurus wagon that had 200,000 miles on it to the ones on the cap of a Ranger truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I was whacked last weekend by the lid on my two week old 2013. I contacted Red Line Tuning, who sell no drill struts for the new Mustangs. I have a set of their chromed ones, and they are great. They asked for photos and measurements

of the ones on the SHO and they will see what they can come up with from what they have ins tock. I will keep everyone up to date when I get the final answer.