Ecoboost Owner Forums

Bov

Yes you can put a BOV on a SHO, But you wont hear it after each shift. You only hear them when the throttle is snapped shut, which is normally during shifting on a manual car. If you put one on a Automatic, you will only hear it when you left off the gas and close the throttle body.

I come from a big turbo background, but still new to the taurus. I know Snapse (sp?) is probably the fastest one on the market, while HKS is probably the most popular. But a real HKS isnt cheap, and there are TONS of knockoffs out there that look like HKS's but are way to cheap.

One good thing about HKS, you can run different inserts for different sounds. The stock one, is the high pitched Chirp sound that most people use. You can remove the insert, and just get a whoosh sound, or you can buy the purple insert(what I ran on my last car) and its a PPSSSHHH sound. lol

Ive only seen a couple people with aftermarket BOVs, and they have both been HKS's. I actually have a fake HKS sitting in the garage I thought about tossing on the car for shits and giggles, but havent got around to it. And I still prefer the sleeper sound of the SHO.

A few Youtube vids I dug up for those interested.....

Also, not my car, but here's some snap shots of what other SHO owners have done in their set ups regarding after market BOV's......

IMGA5487.jpg

IMGA5488.jpg

IMGA5489.jpg

IMGA5490.jpg

IMGA5491.jpg

.....and a few more from an entirely different SHO owner....

P1010029-1.jpg

P1010031-1.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010034.jpg

Hope that's of some help to y'all :noidea:

But why? The stock one's do their job perfectly well' date=' and don't spout a loud nausiating noise.[/quote']

Because, not everybody is you, and a lot of people out there, like the loud sound of a BOV releasing pressure.

Not sure on the SHO, but on a lot of cars (like my previous Genesis) the stock BOVs cant handle raised boost pressures and start to leak, at that point, you are loosing Horse power, so switching to a new BOV could solve a potential boost leak.

If you dont like the High pitch sound of the HKS, you can remove the insert and get a whoosh sound, or buy a purple insert, and get the PPssshh sound.

Small amounts of oil in the intake path, is usually normal on turbo cars. only way to stop it, is to add a catch can. Even stock my last car had a decent amount of oil resting in the intercooler when I replaced it. Im talking about 1/4 of a quart or so sitting in the bottom of the intercooler. But its a big issue on the Genesis. This was a common issue, so at the same time I did a catch can on that car, and it had to be drained about every 2 weeks, but mostly condensation and other crap. Im surprised I havent read more(or anything) about people adding catch cans on SHO's.

This isnt even 2 weeks worth of crap, from the catch can in my Genesis. Not much oil, but still no reason for it to get pulled through the motor.

848d7188.jpg

Because, not everybody is you, and a lot of people out there, like the loud sound of a BOV releasing pressure.

Not sure on the SHO, but on a lot of cars (like my previous Genesis) the stock BOVs cant handle raised boost pressures and start to leak, at that point, you are loosing Horse power, so switching to a new BOV could solve a potential boost leak.

If you dont like the High pitch sound of the HKS, you can remove the insert and get a whoosh sound, or buy a purple insert, and get the PPssshh sound.

True. But the only way insure that the stock BOV don't leak is to replace or remove both of them. Merely adding 3rd BOV would provide nothing more than sound, and if all you want is sound have the stock one vent to atmosphere.

But seeing how the stock BOV's are electric that will be a bit more complicated to remove and keep ECM happy.

Are you sure we have 2? Ive built several turbo cars, but havent been under the hood much at all on the SHO yet, but I only remember seeing one. The same one that dpb posted pics of, right before the throttle body, and if they have one right before the TB, why have a 2nd one in a 2nd location?

Here they are:

Thanks Dave! I was gonna comment that the plastic piece that comes of the intake tubing just prior to the throttle body is not a BOV as many may think. It's just a sound generator that aims back toward the car so that you can "hear the engine". I see some have added a BOV to that area for some reason.

Thanks Dave! I was gonna comment that the plastic piece that comes of the intake tubing just prior to the throttle body is not a BOV as many may think. It's just a sound generator that aims back toward the car so that you can "hear the engine". I see some have added a BOV to that area for some reason.

WTH? A sound generator? That seems completely pointless. They do so much crap to make this car silent, then they add a sound generator. lol

Once the bike is done getting built, I really need to spend some time going over the motor in this thing.