Ecoboost Owner Forums

Help me pick caliper covers !!!

dwmilton

Hello all !

I'm prepping to order some MGP caliper covers for my new 2013 Fusion, and would appreciate input from the membership.

My car is Sterling Gray, and has red stitching on the black interior. I love the black/silver/gray theme w/ a touch of red.

My thought is black caliper covers with the Ford oval logo in red. I don't want red covers, because I want to keep it subtle.

I'd also considered satin/silver covers, with the Ford logo in black. However, something inside me wants that little pop of red; and red on a black background looks really sweet inside my head.

Here's a few photos to give an idea of the red inspiration, and canvas we're working with.

Grays, silvers, and black. With a touch of red.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2004[/ATTACH]

Here she is. Windows will be tinted Friday morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2005[/ATTACH]

post-1366-142532296293_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532296295_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532296293_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532296295_thumb.jpg

Me personally, and I know you said you wanted suttle, but looking at your car in an overall manner, and given the fact you intend on tinting out your windows, I would roll with the red caliper covers, and then do the 'SHO' lettering in that gray/silver color.

In fact, I would even go one step further, and perhaps borrowing a cue from fellow EBOF member shoman04, I would paint a very thin (maybe 1/8" or so) matching red stripe all along the outer edge of your factory wheel, just to compliment the red caliper cover.

Maybe even carry that 1/8" stripe onto the very high point of each spoke of each wheel.

That little bit of red will play off well from the red that's on your tail lights. Especially when taking a side shot picture of the car.

I have like ZERO photo editing skills, otherwise I would try to present my ideas directly.

I just asked my 16 year old if she knows how, and she rolled her eyes at me replying "Dad, I know how to do that, you just need to buy the $80 software".

Gag....... teenagers.

No problem.

Yea, I was keeping in mind your tinted windows when picturing it all together.

Black windows will play off of the black tires (especially when using/applying a tire shine product of your choice).

Even with red caliper covers, and the little hints of matching red on the wheels, in an overall sense, it will still be subtle. You'll be surprised.

GL in w/e you end up choosing, and just be sure to post up some pics when complete.

Your fellow members appreciate your ideas, not too mention you may be the inspiration for other Fusion-Eco owners :twitch:

Well, I have to agree with Mike's suggestion on color choices. You can tell he has outstanding taste when it comes to what looks good on a vehicle (and with other things..that will remain unnamed;) ) But looking at his car it's easy to see that he can put together a great look, so I agree you would have to give Mike's idea a lot of weight.

Thanks! I'll look at more pix of Fords with red caliper covers. For some reason, red calipers/covers just never seemed subtle to me. That's why I was just looking to have the Ford logo in red. Will e-mail MGP and see if they have any pix of new Fusions with their covers yet.

mjh- were they as easy to put on as there site shows & did you need the spacers for the front only as they suggest. Been thinking about them, my SHO is white would love white w/ black SHO but the extra money I don't know. I like my SHO to Scream I'm no Sleeper so would probably go with red.

Thanks

Mike V

Paul,

VERY attractive SHO! I'll even give you extra credit for having Raiders colors. :RpS_wink: I *REALLY* considered silver covers long & hard. What it came down to was that I KNEW I wanted a little "pop" of red, and I wasn't sure how the red would look on a silver background. Can't remember seeing that combo anywhere online. Also, I had the feeling that black caliper covers would be very subtle; while also contrasting nicely against the silver rotors, and the gray painted 5-spoke wheels on my car. I special ordered them, and specified no paint fill for the fake bolt heads. Excepting black & silver, all other colors on those scream "FAKE BOLTS" to me. I may use some hi-temp FLAT black, to paint the bolt head recesses. Subtle, and realistic. Will depend on how they look when I get them at the end of the month.

MGP caliper covers should arrive tomorrow. If so; I'll try to install after work' date=' update my photo album, and post in the "what have you done today" thread.[/quote']

I think the black will look great, just take your time and make sure everything is clear and nothing is rubbing on installation. Looking forward to photos.

I'm guessing those covers don't fit the '13 PP SHO's' date=' do they? :([/quote']

They do list all the other 13 models exceot the SHO. I would think if they fit the SHO they will fit the PP model since the only difference in the PP cars is upgraded pads. Here's a link to MGP, you should contact them to see if the will fit, I know when I got mine they were very helpful:http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept/01-013/2010_2013_Ford_Taurus_SE_SEL_LIM.htm

Well, the caliper covers are a NO GO at the moment. Having a new car/platform can suck.

The rear caliper cover clips/brackets don't seem to be shaped properly, and thus the cover can't even be mounted. The front caliper cover rubs on the wheel @ the inner edge. I have the 18" Appearance Package wheels. I'd *HATE* to see how they fare on 16" S, or 17" SE wheels. I'm wondering if MGP used a Titanium with the optional 19" wheels as a test bed.

Mine were special ordered, so I'm kinda afraid I may have $265 in paper weights now.

Will call MGP tomorrow, and see what they can do.

Talked via phone & email today w/ MGP. The rear mounting clip issue may be simple. It seems I may just need to use a mallet to tap them on further. Gonna try that Sunday. For the front, it seems they were supposed to send some 3mm spacers, since my car has OEM wheels. I dont know if I'll hear from them tomorrow, but hopefully they'll ship the spacers & a replacement front cover for the one that got rubbed/gouged, ASAP.

Front installed. Note the silver area where powdercoat was gouged by wheel, on inner edge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2192[/ATTACH]

Damn sexy, IMHO

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2193[/ATTACH]

I like my choice

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2194[/ATTACH]

post-1366-14253229179_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532291795_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532291799_thumb.jpg

post-1366-14253229179_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532291795_thumb.jpg

post-1366-142532291799_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The 3mm spacers arrived USPS today, and the replacement front caliper covers should be here tonight, on the big brown truck. With any luck, I'll install them on my day off, Thursday, and post up some photos. I foresee this being my last mod/personalization of the car.