Ecoboost Owner Forums

Window Tints

As for tint I have had several vehicles done over the year. Each state has its own laws about percent allowed. My f150 was 15% on side 5 on back aswell as the front piece. My truck was white so it looked sprayed on. Only got pulled over once by a trooper and I played dumb. he didn't like how the front piece was very low. I guess its only allowed to go down to these little marks on the windshield. Got a fix it warning and signed and mailed it out at the next mail box I found. That was the only issue I've had in five years and the new owner hasn't had any problems. It all depends on the officer that sees you. As for a shop look around and find one that does good work and stands behind their work. The shop I use is amazing and the tint has a warranty against fading and the shop stood behind their work. But like I said I've been lucky I was always way darker then any state allowed and haven't had any issues really. But with that being said at anytime I could get a ticket and be made to remove it and waste hundreds of dollars. So factor all of that in when making a decision. I plan on doing the 15 and 5 setup on my sho and will have it done in a week once I'm off of orders at fort Knox and back from my vacation to Vegas.

Here in Texas you aren't allowed to tint the entire windshield, only a sunshade strip down to the AS1 line. Front passenger windows are allowed down to a 35% i believe and then rear passenger windows and back window can be limo if you want. From my experiance i just do 35% all around because much darker it becomes more of a pain to see out the back windows when it gets dark out, especially when backing up. The rear camera alleviates some of this but i'm still a head turner that likes to look around when backing. I've also found that 35% blocks out enough sun for me and is also dark enough from the outside looking in that it's hard to see inside. As mentioned above, around here you're going to pay 200-300 for 5 windows.

bigPelo, here is a picture of the 38% tint. Installer said this tint will test 32% with a tint measuring device. In Illinois the law says,

" On vehicles where none of the windows to the rear of the driver's seat are treated in a manner that allows less than 35% light transmittance, a nonreflective tinted film that allows at least 35% light transmittance, with a 5% variance observed by any law enforcement official metering the light transmittance, may be used on the vehicle windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver."

His reasoning is that it will error on the side of being legal. I took his word for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2082[/ATTACH]

post-246-142532291535_thumb.jpg

post-246-142532291535_thumb.jpg

Tint laws. Find your state so you can make an informed decision. I personally would probably never go below 20% simply because I remember my attempt at self-tinting my first car with limo tint and while it looked cool, I couldn't see a damn thing out the rear windows (fronts were illegal at the time so didn't do them) at night and I ended up tearing it down. I just got mine done about two weeks ago and went with 35% all around, darkest I can legally get away with, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I didn't even ask about trying to go darker - Illinois made some changes to its tint laws and I believe one of them included pretty hefty penalties for shops that installed tint that breaks the law, but I could be wrong - but I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to have it removed on the off-chance I have to speak to Officer Friendly.

Thanks for the great information and personal experience fellas.

Look forward to starting my research on state laws and finding the right shop.

Will post pics when done.

I've noticed that this board makes links look very similar to regular text on the default settings, so just in case you missed it, this website has tint laws for all 50 states. If you saw it when I posted it above, cool, just figured I'd make sure you saw this site.

I've noticed that this board makes links look very similar to regular text on the default settings' date=' so just in case you missed it, [b']this website has tint laws for all 50 states.[/b] If you saw it when I posted it above, cool, just figured I'd make sure you saw this site.

As you can see PA is pretty bad. I would love to put tint on my white car, but won't because of the laws. Since factory windows only let in 72-78% (I forget exactly, but it's close), you can't even put any tint on cars without being illegal in PA. SUV's and Trucks are a bit different though, for rear and rear side.

just my opinion but if your looking to tint the windows you cant really worry about what the law is cause its like 35% which to me is a waste and way to light to pay money to have windows tinted that light, i mean your also not suppose to drive past 30mph on side streets and 55-65 on highways but im sure we alllllllllll dont do that lol, i would def get at least 20% on all windows to make a noticable difference, just my opinion, good luck

All is relative casper. I believe that 35% looks better than nothing. Combined with the little tint the car has factory, it blocks more than two third of the light. Here in Quebec the law says no more than 70% in the front and all you want in the rear... Many cheat and most of the time, the police tolerates. I did mines 50-35-20 and we can't see much in the rear unless there is a lot of sun. I had done the same with the 2010. Here are pics of 50-35-20... So, you'll see that it depends on the angle and the light, but it is worth the money imo:

[ATTACH]2098[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2099[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2101[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2102[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2103[/ATTACH]

But for sure, if I could, I'd probably do 20% all around...

Cheers!

post-379-142532291586_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291589_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291593_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291595_thumb.jpg

post-379-1425322916_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291604_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291586_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291589_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291593_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291595_thumb.jpg

post-379-1425322916_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532291604_thumb.jpg

As you can see PA is pretty bad. I would love to put tint on my white car' date=' but won't because of the laws. Since factory windows only let in 72-78% (I forget exactly, but it's close), you can't even put any tint on cars without being illegal in PA. SUV's and Trucks are a bit different though, for rear and rear side.[/quote']

I went with 20% all around (nothing on the windshield), and the installer said that at 20% you shouldn't be bothered. I had 20% on my T-bird for years with no issues.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2104[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2105[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2106[/ATTACH]

post-895-142532291607_thumb.jpg

post-895-14253229161_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532291613_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532291607_thumb.jpg

post-895-14253229161_thumb.jpg

post-895-142532291613_thumb.jpg

I went with 20% all around (nothing on the windshield), and the installer said that at 20% you shouldn't be bothered. I had 20% on my T-bird for years with no issues.

Thanks for the photos and the post, I have really been debating on what percentage to get, but I really like the looks of yours and I think it will look good on my red car. I plan on having the windows done in the spring...if that ever arrives...snowing again here!

does anyone have there windshield tinted ? and if so know if there is a law on that and % allowed? and what % did you get the front done and what do you suggest as i am looking into getting that done soon' date=' thanks guys[/quote']

I do all my windshields with 50%. 99% of people don't even realize that it tinted unless I tell them, that includes law enforcement. I don't believe any state allows full windshield tinting, only the top strip tints.

I went with 35% one time and it was too much at night. Windshield tint is a great addition, it cuts down on sun glare and headlight glare at night.

thanks for the info/suggestions,

I do all my windshields with 50%. 99% of people don't even realize that it tinted unless I tell them, that includes law enforcement. I don't believe any state allows full windshield tinting, only the top strip tints.

I went with 35% one time and it was too much at night. Windshield tint is a great addition, it cuts down on sun glare and headlight glare at night.