Ecoboost Owner Forums

Weird transmission sounds.

Ok so I could just be tweaking myself out because I don't know much about he sounds and quirks of the car. Transmission shifts fine never have any harsh downshifts but been noticing when the car is next to a wall I hear this weird hissing mechanical ticking sound when in reverse. Wondering if other people have this issue or is it just me. Here's a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcPFtjNLdbw

All I hear are sounds I would expect from a direct injection engine - the high pressure fuel pump driven off a cam and the injectors make some racket but I can't really hear anything else.

Could you raise the hood and listen while someone else is holding the brake and changing from drive to reverse, etc? You might be able to pinpoint it better. My mechanical fuel pump makes different noises depending upon the engine load. I have put a stethoscope against it and it is easy to see why they put the foam sound deadener around it.

I have heard transmission pumps make noise but usually more of a whine than a hiss.

Thanks for all the responses. Yea i knew the DI motors make the ticking lol 3 of my old speed 3s tick like that same with my old cobalt ss/tc. But it only does it in reverse the rest of the gears it doesnt make the sound. Ill have to get closer. You can hear it on the drive side. when the hood is open you cant pin point exactly where just bouncing off everything. Ill try and take a better vid.

As stated previously, it sounds to me to be the high pressure fuel pump. completely normal and i'll add, you're not the 1st owner to have brought this matter up for discussion.

Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary to me just listening to it over the laptop speakers.

Agreed. sounds more like the pump...first few times I heard it when close to a wall it bothered me, then we got a discussion going on here and I discovered it's a normal sound for our cars. Again,:yo: to the other members for pointing out what was causing that noise!