Ecoboost Owner Forums

Bird poop etched paint

A few years back a goose nailed my Mustang pretty good near the passenger side C pillar. The paint was slightly etched from it and normally applying some Zanio more or less made it disappear to a point, but if you looked close enough you could see the damage.

I invested in a Flex polisher and ordered Adams complete machine polishing set to go along with it, so I want to see if I can finally get it polished out. Does anyone have any pointers for me?

I'm sure that our EBOF resident detailing guru, Chase@Adams will chime in with some pointers for you.

I had that happen to my Wife's SUV a few years back, and I cut the clear with a fairly strong compound and was able to return it's appearance back to pre-bird crapping event.

I did it by hand though, rather than using a machine, I didn't trust myself otherwise, for fearing of burning the clear.

Be careful how much you buff on that spot. If you do to much the spot will stand out. Make sure that you tape off any plastic trim. I use denatured alcohol to remove any detail stuff on the trim to get the blue painters tape to stick. The denatured alcohol will not hurt the paint. just use a rag dont just pour it on the trim. I did the paint correction system on my GT500 and it made the color stand out. It took a long time because I had to tape off the stripes. I used the Porter Cable polisher.

Honest Mike, with both the Porter Cable and the Flex it's really hard to hurt the paint especially using Adam's Polishes....I had the same fear, but after being very careful the first few times I used the PC, I feel very comfortable using it. And I got say, using the machines really help end up with a great looking finish.

@Scott13SHO...I'm really jealous that you're getting a Flex...I really want to upgrade mine, guess I really should do it now...it's a great sale right now and low shipping, so there really isn't a better time. Can't wait to see your impression of the Flex. BTW, I would suggest after normal prep (wash & clay bar)...I would go over the spot with Revive (if you ordered it) if not, I would start with Swirl & Haze Remover, see how it looks, if you can still see it, I would move up to the Severe SHR, and follow that with Fine Machine Polish, and that should take care of it. You may have to go over the spot a few times to remove it, but should get you ready for the finally steps. Me, I do sealant (either Quick or Machine) followed by Brilliance Glaze, and then wax. Good luck, let us know how it works for you. I'm sure Chase will also add some helpful hints.

25yrs production paint repair expert for Ford Motor here. I would suggest a light wetsand with 2000 grit paper using a rubber block to back your paper. A water/isopropyl alcohol mix of 60/40 in spray bottle works great. Finish with your flex and polish.

Thanks..never heard about mixing water and iso alcohol together to wetsand....