Ecoboost Owner Forums

Livernois Tune // Gear Change Problems

So I just put the livernois tune Stage 4 back onto the SHO. I took it off for the winter, just because I felt I wouldn't be utilizing it then. But ever since I put it back on the car, when traveling slow 1st-2nd gear, seems like it is "neutral dropping." I don't know how else to describe it rather then you hear the load BOOM and then it catches the gear. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered with the tune? It is happening every time I drive it, at least 1-3x's. I am not sure what would cause this to happen, but I know if I keep the tune on and this consists that it will probably tear apart my transmission.

I am also having some grinding sound issues. I thought it was just the rotors and brakes, so I changed them out. I am still getting the "grinding" noise as I ease off of the brake. It was a lot worse before, it has come down a lot since I did the brakes. But was wondering if it might be something that I am not looking at? The boots? Shocks? etc.

My SHO is a 2010 with 47,000 miles on it. Any insight or help would be great! Thanks in advance guys.

Didn't the original stage 4 have NO torque management? What we are calling 4+ has some torque management. Echo, do you have the original or the later "plus" version?

My guess is that after you drive it awhile, the adaptive learning will smooth things out. I have never experienced what you describe. However, when I first installed 4+, the kickdowns were very harsh (almost a bang). After 150 miles or so, everything was perfect.

Oh, one more thing.....Echo, I presume you did not have this issue last fall when you were running the tune. Is that correct? If it were me, I would go back to stock....and then re-install the tune. I can't find it now but somewhere I read about something going screwy on a tune loading. The person went back to stock, reloaded the tune and everything was cool.

Bruce, I am not sure what version of the tune I have. I purchased it last Fall. I didn't keep the tune on for long, but do remember this happening a few times back then as well. I only kept it on the car for about 2wks and then I took it the dealer for some work, but before I did that I switched it back to stock. After that I figured i would leave it off until summer rolled around again.

So did livernois come up with an updated version of the stage 4+ tune? If so are they charging to switch to that one or will they supply with me with the new version?

I don't know when the change was made to stage 4...but I think it was earlier than last fall. If you are sure the issue is related to the tune, you might want to give Rick a call for some advice. Also, keep in mind there were several TSBs issued for these transmissions. Someone provided a list in another thread.

This is pretty common. Search for the "clunk" thread or transmission clunk I can't remember. I don't think it's a tune problem. I think it's a tranny problem regardless stock or tuned. I think it's made worse by a fresh flash. As the tranny learns the severity and frequency of the tranny issues fades. TSB repairs help but nothing seems to completely make it go away. You are right in saying that stop and go driving is one of the worst triggers in my experience. What you are describing has been discussed a lot in the past. Do a little reading and you will probably feel a bit better to know you are not alone.

Okay you said you had work done to your at dealer. What kind of work? Because if they updated your ECM your strategy may have changed and this will greatly impact how the tune behaves. So I get your strategy code and contact Rick with to make sure you have the correct file for.

Crash, I obviously wasn't using my brain! I am pretty sure when they did the transmission fix, that they flashed the car with something. What is my next step then? How do I inform Rick livernois of what strategy code they put onto the vehicle? Thanks.

As far as the brake grinding' date=' did you have the TSB on the brakes performed for the 2010 model year? I know that I had the grinding but after the TSB was performed it completely stopped.[/quote']

What TSB? I have no clue if the previous owner did, but I know I never did anything of the sorts. Is there a thread that explain in more detail of what it is? I have an appointment with Ford on Monday and would love to have some more information for them before I bring it there.

What TSB? I have no clue if the previous owner did, but I know I never did anything of the sorts. Is there a thread that explain in more detail of what it is? I have an appointment with Ford on Monday and would love to have some more information for them before I bring it there.

The TSB is 11-5-15 unless it has been superceded by a later version. It is almost identical to the one at the link below. The key is the replacement of the caliper anchor brackets. They hold the calipers in a slightly different position than the originals. Along with changing the brackets are new pads and rotors if the old rotors cannot be machined. I had this done on my MKS and it has been a permanent fix.

http://way2evil.com/tsb/tsb10-17-03.pdf

Crash, I obviously wasn't using my brain! I am pretty sure when they did the transmission fix, that they flashed the car with something. What is my next step then? How do I inform Rick livernois of what strategy code they put onto the vehicle? Thanks.

Echo here is Ricks email: rleblanc@livernoismotorsports.com Retrive the strategy code you have now, if you don't know how to do that. Please ask here or Rick how to do that as I do not recall how to do with SCT tuner. LMS keeps record of each of our individual strategy codes and he will be able to tell you if it had changed, and if so he will be able to email you the correct files for you car.

Email him today, Rick is very good about responding to emails quickly and if he has that info available to him even at home he will be able to compare and send correct files right away.

good luck

I have had this happen ever since I got the Livernois tune. I only run on stage 2 because out here in CA, our highest octane form the pump is 91 octane. We dont have 93. But yea, it has been doing the same thing you guys have described for the past year. When I put it back to stock, it goes away. I dont worry too much because I have a warranty on my car up to 150k miles. It does feel terrible though. And it does only do it at low speeds.

There was a TSB for 2010 models that involved replacing pads and caliper brackets. If it was performed on your car the dealer should be able to tell by putting your car's VIN in the Ford system...Ford will have a record of all warranty and TSB's performed.

• 3 weeks later...
So I just put the livernois tune Stage 4 back onto the SHO. I took it off for the winter' date=' just because I felt I wouldn't be utilizing it then. But ever since I put it back on the car, when traveling slow 1st-2nd gear, seems like it is "neutral dropping." I don't know how else to describe it rather then you hear the load BOOM and then it catches the gear. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered with the tune? It is happening every time I drive it, at least 1-3x's. I am not sure what would cause this to happen, but I know if I keep the tune on and this consists that it will probably tear apart my transmission. I am also having some grinding sound issues. I thought it was just the rotors and brakes, so I changed them out. I am still getting the "grinding" noise as I ease off of the brake. It was a lot worse before, it has come down a lot since I did the brakes. But was wondering if it might be something that I am not looking at? The boots? Shocks? etc. My SHO is a 2010 with 47,000 miles on it. Any insight or help would be great! Thanks in advance guys.[/quote']

I had similiar complaints of the "clunk" or "netural drop" feeling at low speeds. Chris recommended a trans cooler installation with the LMS tunes since we run so much hotter with our tunes. Just this weekend, I finally installed the retro-fit '13 Trans-Cooler onto my '12. Just finished re-installing my LMS tune onto my '12 SHO, the 4+ tune that is, and look forward to driving around town and seeing if I still feel the clunk or not. Again, I need to put some mileage on her to get the at ECM all shook out to make sure I'm not dealing with a 'learning' hiccup.

It sounds like you're on the right track though already with the dealer changing your exisiting 'stock tune' / 'strategy code'.

Just so you're aware, if you're not running a trans-cooler yet, it's come highly recommended to folks that run tunes, to have them.