Ecoboost Owner Forums

Benefits of MyCal vs SCT X3

Are there any real benefits of buying the MyCal over SCT other than the screen? Does the SCT have the same features or just load the tune? I am in the market and leaning toward livernois, but I would like to know why I should get the MyCal when the SCT loads the same tune for less.

Big things I'm interested in:

Do they both read diagnostic codes?

Do they both store/load the same amount of tunes?

I am not familiar with tuning so this purchase will pop my cherry so to speak.

Thanks in advance guys!

The biggest difference(s) between the two devices, is that what you are understanding as being "the same" tune (file)..... is well..... they're not.

The MyCal device allowed the crew over at LMS to access an entirely new (and much larger) set of tables and/or parameters, that previously, they could not, with the SCT device.

So, as a result, a lot of us, especially us Meth heads like me, got a lot more umph with the MyCal.

Now LMS does still sell / distribute both, and does support both.

I think SCT was working on a newer device to compete with the MyCal offering, but not sure where that development is at (mainly cuz I'm all set with my set up, so haven't researched it any further).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The biggest difference(s) between the two devices, is that what you are understanding as being "the same" tune (file)..... is well..... they're not.

The MyCal device allowed the crew over at LMS to access an entirely new (and much larger) set of tables and/or parameters, that previously, they could not, with the SCT device.

So, as a result, a lot of us, especially us Meth heads like me, got a lot more umph with the MyCal.

Now LMS does still sell / distribute both, and does support both.

I think SCT was working on a newer device to compete with the MyCal offering, but not sure where that development is at (mainly cuz I'm all set with my set up, so haven't researched it any further).

Interesting... I know you don't have all the answers but I figure I'll ask a couple questions anyway since I always just assumed the tunes were the same. Basically, do you have any specifics on what other parameters they got access to through the MyCal? Like, will you get more horsepower using the MyCal vs SCT or is it just to improve other things such as shifting or gas mileage?

If anyone has a summary (or a link if I missed it) of what the differences are in the tunes that would be great. I was planning on getting the tune soon and just going with the SCT for $100 less then using Torque to fill in for (what I thought was) the benefits of MyCal.

Interesting... I know you don't have all the answers but I figure I'll ask a couple questions anyway since I always just assumed the tunes were the same. Basically, do you have any specifics on what other parameters they got access to through the MyCal? Like, will you get more horsepower using the MyCal vs SCT or is it just to improve other things such as shifting or gas mileage?

If anyone has a summary (or a link if I missed it) of what the differences are in the tunes that would be great. I was planning on getting the tune soon and just going with the SCT for $100 less then using Torque to fill in for (what I thought was) the benefits of MyCal.

I would also love to see some documentation on this

I would defer to Rick to answer the questions on what tables are more accessible.... so hopefully he'll answer here, or if not, maybe give him a call or what have you.

I had the same questions you had, and was trying to justify, in my own head, the price differences between the two devices.

When I saw a couple of other people purchase it (the MyCal), and saw the differences in power 1st hand (I believe it was an average increase of like 40hp if i'm not mistaken) I was instantly sold.

I asked Rick how they were able to achieve the power gains, and that was the generic answer I was provided, was that the MyCal device allowed Dan to access an entire crapload of more tables & parameters that weren't accessible via the SCT device (at least at that time).

I was happy enough with that explanation, and never pressed further.

Honestly, I didn't really feel the need to either.

Just like everyone else here who has entrusted LMS with their tuned EB's, and have had nothing short of phenomenal experiences, I didn't feel the need to question further.

The results were obvious. Not only in the butt dyno, but also the actual dyno.

Again, I would defer to Rick to provide the specifics.

Im going to buy a tune soon also, but the thing i dont understand is why the mycal only has better tunes for the stage 4+ and 5+. i called livernois and rick said that tunes 1-3 are the same on sct and the mycal. Im in california and can only run 91oct, so stages 1-3 are the same thing. I dont know why livernois would not make new tunes files for 1-3 if they can make more power, if they can make more power with 4+ on 93 oct they should be able to use the mycal to get some more power out of the 91 oct tunes too.

One advantage of sct is that you can modify parameters yourself with the unit plugged in, such as in gear idle speed. for that reason, I wanted the SCT, but when Rick tried to use one to load my tunes at his shop, for some reason it would not work. He tried, literally, for hours. So, he cut me a deal and I got the mycal. Apparently for reasons unknown to me , the SCT does not work a miniscule amount of our cars. Mine, being one of them. Truthfully, I would have preferred the SCT. Rick was able to send me a modified tune, which I still haven't loaded, which he told me should raise the in gear idle, as I wanted. However, I still would have liked to have had the option to do with myself with the handheld. Dont read this as a complaint about LMS, just something to think about when making the choice... Just that there is at least one advantage to the SCT for guys like me who have no intention on using meth and don't really play with the gauges.

Wow...some of this is news to me. Of course lots of things are news to me! Am I hearing that stage 4+ tune is different depending upon whether it is loaded on Mycal or SCT? That was certainly not my understanding when I purchased the tunes.

MyCal does hold more tunes. SCT only holds 3 plus stock. I told Rick that I would only use two....4+ when I could get 93 octane and stage 2/91 when I could only get 91 octane. He asked if I ever planned to run meth. When I told him "no," he indicated the SCT would fit my needs just fine. I am certainly NOT criticizing Rick or LMS but I think he would have told me to go MyCal if it meant more power within the same stage.

One of the advantages with mycal for 2010-12 models (at least SHOs) is that the mycal device is way nicer. It is touchscreen with gauges etc. You can mount it on your dash and it looks good and offers live useful info. The SCT only is good to load a tune or diagnose and clear DTCs.

I really wish mycal would offer the same nice device for the 2013's...

I compare SCT to Mycal device like Atari 2600 to PS3!

But the mycal for 2013, beside porentially offering more tuning capacities, looks even worst than the SCT... From the look and functionnality of the mycal devices, the one for 2013 seems lime a 25 years step back... I really don't get it as to why mycal is not offering the same nice device that I got used to with my 2010...

But at least it does a good job for tuning!

One of the advantages with mycal for 2010-12 models (at least SHOs) is that the mycal device is way nicer. It is touchscreen with gauges etc. You can mount it on your dash and it looks good and offers live useful info. The SCT only is good to load a tune or diagnose and clear DTCs.

I really wish mycal would offer the same nice device for the 2013's...

I compare SCT to Mycal device like Atari 2600 to PS3!

But the mycal for 2013, beside porentially offering more tuning capacities, looks even worst than the SCT... From the look and functionnality of the mycal devices, the one for 2013 seems lime a 25 years step back... I really don't get it as to why mycal is not offering the same nice device that I got used to with my 2010...

But at least it does a good job for tuning!

I use one of these. Not $379 like the "tune your car and put the device in the trunk" SCT X3, but definitely more than an Atari 2600. ;)

http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=67

Rick can chime in, but I do not think there's any difference in power with 4 plus in either unit. If there was, when I was trying to make my decision, I am sure he would have mentioned that. If that'd been a difference, I would have preferred the mycal ( which I got even though I really wanted the SCT for the reasons stated above. I literally just wanted it to load the tune and clear DTC's if necessary. Thats all, nothing more.

The difference(s) in hp was what LMS is terming their "Stage 5" tune file, that is used in conjunction with the MyCal device.

I previously had been running methanol with the SCT device, along with the LMS Stage 4, and 4+ tune file(s).

So the increase(s) with the MyCal device were made with the addtional tables / parameters they were able to access, along with the "Stage 5".

Once again, rather than continuing to debate the issue, y'all should just really defer to Rick for clarification.

If I knew the specific answers, it goes w/o saying that my reputation precedes me, and I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Im just going off what rick told me last month about the 4+ power diffrence. It would be great if livernois put a car back on the dyno and made some new tunes for the 91 oct guys with the mycal. My luck i will buy the sct and the month after they will make new tunes for the mycal and i will me losing out on some hp. It would be great if rick jumped in on this.

I literally just wanted it to load the tune and clear DTC's if necessary. Thats all' date=' nothing more.[/quote']

That's all I want. I could care less about the graphics, there are more options available for that. I just want the most power for my dollar. One more note, all I have around me is 92 octane, could I run 93 without issues?? Should I just run 91 to be safe? I think I'm making this too complicated.

I think I understand what your asking. Of course you can run 93 in your car. Can you run LMS 93 tune on 92 octane fuel no I wouldn't. No without a octane booster anyway and not the crap they sell at auto parts. Spark knock is no joke with force induction motor and is fatal. Besides LMS +4 was designed for 94 octane to be honest, it has however proven to be safe on 93.

I think I understand what your asking. Of course you can run 93 in your car. Can you run LMS 93 tune on 92 octane fuel no I wouldn't. No without a octane booster anyway and not the crap they sell at auto parts. Spark knock is no joke with force induction motor and is fatal. Besides LMS +4 was designed for 94 octane to be honest' date=' it has however proven to be safe on 93.[/quote']

Sorry for the confusion, I read it and I see where I made the mistake. I meant LMS 93 tune so thanks for the info. I will just get the 91 tune until I get home (after I ETS from the Army) to where 93 is available. Once I buy the LMS 91, could I get the 93 tune as well or is it extra? I would hate to have access to the 93 and not be able to reap the benefits of the tune. Thanks guys, you are all helping tremendously.

Jeremiah, just tell Rick what you want....you can have more than one tune without paying extra. I got stages 2 and 3 in both 91 and 93 octane versions and also stage 4+ which requires 93 or higher. I run 4+ at home where I can get 93 but will go to stage 2/91 when I travel to an area without 93.

Jeremiah' date=' just tell Rick what you want....you can have more than one tune without paying extra. I got stages 2 and 3 in both 91 and 93 octane versions and also stage 4+ which [i'][/i]requires 93 or higher. I run 4+ at home where I can get 93 but will go to stage 2/91 when I travel to an area without 93.

I don't know how much room is on the MYCAL but right now I have 3 Stage 4+ files ( original, replacement to the original, and the updated version that eliminates the "grade assist" bonus), stages 2 and 3, and my stored stock file. Like Bruce, I swap to stage 2 when I'm running into 91 octane territory.