Ecoboost Owner Forums

Lightweight Braille batteries 9lbs

I was checking them out, but I don't know where you saw 840 Cold Cranking Amps. One with 904 Pulse Amps only has 340 Cold Cranking Amps, and the one with 1,091 Pulse Amps only has 527 CCA...I doubt they would work very well in a cold Northern climate...may be OK in a warm place, but a week of below freezing temps, I'm afraid would put a hurting on these batteries. And for the price I think you'd be much better with an Optima battery.

Yeah...that battery is not 650cca. I'll let Rick jump in if he wants but I don't think I'd trust it in a daily driver...not one that has winters anyway. I was planning on purchasing that battery last year..but after talking to Rick and their experience I changed my mind

Whoa..... wait..... who the hell is this guy? :noidea:

Am I seeing things? Is that an apparition of a post? :boink:

^^^That's funny! But he is a stranger lately!

We use the Braille batteries in the race cars. Work great there' date=' but they never see anything near 0 for starting. I like overkill for CCA's personally, I would just as soon see 750+ from a battery.[/quote']

I'm with you on this one, I like having plenty of CCA in a battery, I believe the last one I purchased (not for the SHO) was like 950 CCA.

Heh, I only have the "Cheap" $99 650 CCA Autozone batteries since 2 days after I got my car the motorcraft died. I have not received a response yet, I live in Florida so not sure if cold starting would be huge, but I might be moving to DC so it might be a little bit of a concern there.

Braille got back to me and stated that they rate batteries in 5 sec discharges. So if it is 904 PCA it will crank at that output for 5 secs, which they believe enough to start the vehicle. They explained CCA is the rating of 30 seconds of discharge at 0 Deg F. They feel that's an unnecessary long time to be discharging to start a vehicle. They also include 10 secs of discharge rating which takes the 904 PCA down to 791 PCA. Livernois has these on their website with specifics. I am still waiting on a response on how well these do at 0 Deg. They said the B3121 has been used in corvettes for a long time. Since our motor is not that big I feel the one Livernois has for the Shelby will be fine and that weighs 11.5 Lbs and should be sufficient for the SHO and its $158 on Livernois website. So a weight savings of about 30 lbs.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Ford/2010%252d11-Shelby-GT500/2010%252d11-Shelby-GT500-Ignition/2010%252d11-Shelby-GT500-Batteries-%26-Accessories/

Only question remaining is how to mount it in our giant battery tray! I wont be able to find out until I replace mine which is now on the list but not quite the top. Brakes are at the top of my list after PTU fluid change since mine are feeling warped at extended slowing from 80+ they are sporting several hot spots on the rotors so I know they gota change soon!