Ecoboost Owner Forums

Highway MPG numbers?

I've had my SHO for about 4 weeks now and I have about 2000 miles on it. I've been on three different long distance highway trips with it so far (two times to NJ, about 130 miles or so and one to PSU/State College at 186 miles one way) and I seem not to be able to break over 20 MPG or so with car on these long highway distance drives with locking in the speed at 75-80 mpg on the cruise control.

I've noticed I'm getting better around town MPG with the car since I've been keeping my foot out of it, but the highway mileage has me wondering a bit.

I'm using my Mustang as a baseline...I was getting about 20 MPG or so going to and from work (15 miles one way) and I can match that now with the SHO, but I could get 23-24 with Mustang GT doing the same trip to NJ..where the SHO barely has any improvement over its city MPG numbers (20 MPG) on the Highway..and I was expecting around 25-26 MPG.

Does it need to break in more? I've done the trips to PSU with Super and the trips to NJ with Regular and Super.

I'm getting about 22-23 highway with 5500 on the car, but i am going slightly faster than you ;). Based on earlier threads i was expecting better MPG also, but the boost gauge is on the positive side of zero too much.

Basically I am getting the same mileage that I get on the 07 GT.

I drive the same area most of the time in mine and I am averaging about 24-25 mpg and I will normally have my cruise set at around 72 on I-80. If I set cruise around 60 I can get close to 28-29 mpg. About the worst I've ever seen is around 19 when driving aggressively. I've also learned you can't go by the mileage the computer is telling you, the only way to correctly get a real average is to do it the old fashioned way by filling and measuring miles by gallons used. I have keep a mileage record since I've got the car. I do know that having the LMS tune did imrove mileage, as long as I don't drive aggressively. I have also noticed that since we have changed back to summer fuel that my mileage is back to the 24-25 range, with our winter fuel I always see a 2-3 mpg drop, not just in the SHO but in all our vehicles.

I have also noticed that since we have changed back to summer fuel that my mileage is back to the 24-25 range' date=' with our winter fuel I always see a 2-3 mpg drop, not just in the SHO but in all our vehicles.[/quote']

I never really saw a change or improvement in MPG that dramatic when going from Winter to Summer blends...I find that the AC often eats into MPG on the car when its running, offsetting any improvement from a summer blend.

I head out to PSU again next week for work, so i'll see if I see any improvement since my last trip LOL

Seems that most have seen the mileage improve with the tune. I'm surprised that you haven't seen a difference between the winter and summer blends. But I have been keeping really accurate gas mileage records since I first got my '98 F-150. Since that point every vehicle I've owned shows a marked difference once they introduced the different blends. Really makes sense since the winter fuel normally has a bit more ethanol which, while increasing power reduces mileage. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a V-8 or V-6, truck or car, the mileage always goes down 2-3 mpg in the winter and immediately goes up when the switch is made in the spring. It is really noticeable in our 99 Sable, since it has a smaller tank and is a daily driver, I believe in the winter the mileage decrease requires at least one additional fill-up per month then in the summer.

With summer blend fuels, and running Shell 94 octane, setting the cruise, I get 28.6 MPG highway. In the winter, the highway number decreases to around 25/26.

Around town, rarely reaching 60, but, not babying it... often full throttle from lights, etc, I average 20.

This is much better MPG that my 2003 Subaru Legacy....which got 25MPG highway, and 18 around town. Especially considering I have 200 more HP and weight almost 1,000 pounds more.

I do not have a tune.

Mark

2010 SHO

Recently returned from long trip to Florida and back. Overall including around towns-averaged approximately 25 mpg. Running I-95 most of the way from Delaware, I set the cruise on 75-78 and the DIC gave a constant readout of 25.7-mile after mile after mile. Jumped off I-95 north of Jacksonville onto A1A. From Callahan to Baldwin there is about a 20 mile stretch of nice 2-lane-no terrain, straight and, this time, very sparse traffic. I reset mpg to 0 and cruise to 60 and just took a nice drive-watching some places where limit would drop to 45 or 55. DIC gave a readout max of 31.2. and gave over 29 for most of those miles. Not bad for a 4K beast with AWD and a stage 4 tune. That being said-i just do not worry about mpg. if I want to go I go. obsessing takes the pleasure out of the trip. i could be driving Prius.

obsessing takes the pleasure out of the trip. i could be driving Prius.

Very good point....I am in total agreement. I just have been keeping fuel usage records more out of curiosity then for any other reason. Sometimes I do drive with mileage in mind, but mostly I just drive however the mood strikes me. However, I do keep in mind that I'm not really looking for any speeding violations, so mostly I keep my speeds under 75....however, some times I don't!:ohwell:

obsessing takes the pleasure out of the trip. i could be driving Prius.
Very good point....I am in total agreement. I just have been keeping fuel usage records more out of curiosity then for any other reason. Sometimes I do drive with mileage in mind' date=' but mostly I just drive however the mood strikes me. However, I do keep in mind that I'm not really looking for any speeding violations, so mostly I keep my speeds under 75....however, some times I don't!:ohwell:[/quote']

Speed limits through most of I-95,at least south. are 70 mph. If you are at speed limit you better be all the way right.

Well I'm doing slightly better....I was avg about 22 MPG around town, which was better then my Mustang. However, still haven't been able to crack anything higher than that on the highway, but I'm starting to think its my right foot there also...I've been getting on it to get around people, and I'm sure that more the accelerator is depressed the more gas I'm gonna use :) I signed up for an account with fuelly the other day to track my MPG info, but I did notice the last time I filled it up, I was off by a gallon or so from the display...it said I used about 12.5 gallons, but I couldn't fit any more than 10.5 or so gallons in it.

I took a road trip from VA to MI when my car (2013 with PP) had about 3k miles and I averaged just under 23.5MPG. My trip odometer has been set for the last 8k miles and my combined MPG seems to be right around 19.3MPG with all-season tires. I noticed about a 1/2 MPG bump when I switched from the stock summer tires.

I am currently on a 6,000 (10,000klm) trip from Ontario to Western Canada and back. I am 1,500 miles in now and averaging 26.1 mpg. Speeds are 62 - 70 mph. My biggest issue is I have to use 91 octane with a 94 octane tune. Needless to say I have not got onto the throttle. I am in Winnipeg and have to wait until I get to Alberta before I can buy 94 octane. Forces me to keep out of boost...

Roush, I absolutely love the Canadian Rockies. Banff and Jasper National Parks are our favorite vacation spots. But I digress.... When you run 91 octane with your 94 octane tune, do you get any audible spark knock when the engine is under some load or other evidence that you are running the lower octane fuel?

As for mileage, on open highway cruising before the tune, I usually got around 26 MPG. With perfect conditions, maybe a bit of a tail wind, I did see 29 on one trip driving up I35 from Des Moines to Minneapolis - but that was an exception and not the norm. I haven't done much steady highway cruising since I got the tune but I look forward to seeing if it makes a difference.

Roush' date=' I absolutely love the Canadian Rockies. Banff and Jasper National Parks are our favorite vacation spots. But I digress.... When you run 91 octane with your 94 octane tune, do you get any audible spark knock when the engine is under some load or other evidence that you are running the lower octane fuel? As for mileage, on open highway cruising before the tune, I usually got around 26 MPG. With perfect conditions, maybe a bit of a tail wind, I did see 29 on one trip driving up I35 from Des Moines to Minneapolis - but that was an exception and not the norm. I haven't done much steady highway cruising since I got the tune but I look forward to seeing if it makes a difference. [/quote']

No engine knock but I am not putting any load on it. I was going to change the tune but not getting any detonation under these conditions. I would not recommend any full throttle passes.