Ecoboost Owner Forums

Traded the SHO

So I ended up needing to trade the SHO since its depreciation was massive this last year with the miles I put on it. Even with the great deal I found it was negated by upside downness.

But I had fun the short amount of time I was here.

kd8jv9.jpg

I got a Certified 2010 Subaru STI hatchback. So I will miss all my comfy features.

Please PM me if anybody would like to buy my iTSX tuner. I am not sure what needs to be done for it to be cleared, so if anybody has a clue on that that would be helpful. The Android app worked great with this tuner and provided limited gauges and logging.

Fancy schmansy lil Subie you got yourself there..... Enjoy it! :thumb: Sorry to have seen your SHO go & kind of surprised to have heard about the alleged depreciation. From what I understood, most SHO's are/were holding their value(s) pretty well actually. Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure what his situation is, but in the long term its always better/cheaper to keep the car you have then it is to go out and buy another car, if the original car is running properly.

I'm pretty ecstatic that my 2006 Mustang GT with about 120K miles on it is still worth about $9000 (according to KBB and using the worse case condition rating, even though its not) on a dealer trade in....so much so that its sitting in the garage next to the SHO :)

Congrats on the Subi and as for depreciation, I bought my car 6 months ago paid 46k put down 7k and I got a trade in value of 28k. I'm upside down 10k now. Yes they depreciate very quickly, so much so that the Sales mgr at the Ford dealership I work for even doesn't understand. He says the were priced too hi from the get go.

Nice Subaru! I have to admit that I don't quite understand your reasoning though either .I havew found that SHOs hold value decently as compared to other cars (and better than the MKS). But even if they did not, dumping a car because it has massively depreciated is kind of the opposite of what you should do in my opinion. As long as the car is not problematic, hold onto it because the depreciation curve will slow and you will eventually be above water.

Its got 49k now with a new motor from subaru so 400 on the motor now. But SHO had 65k and I was looking at 70k before summers end, I owed $22k and I bought it for $26k But its now worth $18-19k private party. Dealer gave me $17k So with barely getting into the loan it was going upside down fast. I just put too many miles on it that was the big value killer. I was hoping the value would hold at low 20s for few years.

Buy a cheap Honda civic as a daily driver. That way you dont take it in the ass as bad with depreciation. Save u a ton in the long run if you like driving $$ cars.

There is only 15k miles difference between SHO and STI...? lol

That's the problem with the SHO. Too much fun not to use as a DD :)

Working many years in the car industry it's not that the SHO depreciates fast its the fact that its not a high demand or import car trade in. Dealerships hate to take a high end car in trade simply because putting too much in a used car could result in a trade in that sits for a while or a very skinny deal when sold. The whole Taurus line has a high satisfactory rating by owners and if you look up the value of your SHO's I think you would be pleasantly surprised!

I recently sold my sho as well and found that it also depreciated a great deal. I bought it for $30k with 18k miles and drove it for just over a year. I tried to trade it in, but with just over 50k miles on the dash I found they would only be willing to give me about $16-18k. I ended up selling it privately for $25k and was very lucky to get that. I find it hard to believe a car that stickers at just under $50k would lose that much value so quickly. I realize that all vehicles depreciate with miles but the sho seemed to do worse than most. My 2004 cobra with over 80k miles still commands about $20k in resale even in this market.

Congrats on the Subi and as for depreciation' date=' I bought my car 6 months ago paid 46k put down 7k and I got a trade in value of 28k. I'm upside down 10k now. Yes they depreciate very quickly, so much so that the Sales mgr at the Ford dealership I work for even doesn't understand. He says the were priced too hi from the get go. [/quote']

And that same dealer that told you it's "only" worth $28K would turn around and put it on his lot for $42K! After all it's a "One Owner Car and Low miles"!!!

Wait a bit, it will even out.

Enjoy the car! That's is what it there for!!!

Brian S.

10 CinnaSHO

I recently sold my sho as well and found that it also depreciated a great deal. I bought it for $30k with 18k miles and drove it for just over a year. I tried to trade it in, but with just over 50k miles on the dash I found they would only be willing to give me about $16-18k. I ended up selling it privately for $25k and was very lucky to get that. I find it hard to believe a car that stickers at just under $50k would lose that much value so quickly. I realize that all vehicles depreciate with miles but the sho seemed to do worse than most. My 2004 cobra with over 80k miles still commands about $20k in resale even in this market.
If you drove it for over a year and put around 30k miles on it and only lost 5k that sounds like a pretty good deal to me besides when does anyone get happy with a dealer trade quote? Lol

I typically buy my cars 18 mos to 2.5 years old and shoot for buying certified for 40%-50% less than the sticker. I make sure my factory certified or add-on factory warranty is equivalent in length to what the car had when new. I do it consistently, car after car.