Ecoboost Owner Forums

New vs Old Spark Plugs

After changing out the spark plugs, I took a few photos to show the difference of the two. These plugs have 27K total miles on them. about 4K with the Stage 2 tune and 19K with old SCT Stage 4+ tune...remainder of the miles were run stock. Sorry the new plugs aren't in better focus...didn't realize it until I downloaded the photos:

IMG_5691_zpse500df6c.jpg

IMG_5692_zpsdca11d39.jpg

I would also recommend, if they are original to have a few of the boots on hand. They are a pita to get the coil packs off the first time. I separated one on my first change. It got stuck on the plug. I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it off the plug. And the boot was damaged getting it off. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also instead of using needle nose pliers' date=' won't it be better to get one of those specialized pair that is made to grip the spark plug boot?[/quote']

I haven't seen any plug boot pliers that will work with the deep plug wells that these COP setups use. If someone does know of a plug boot pliers for this type of application, please share source and part number.

-Rod

Actually Mark's coils came off fairly easy as compared to mine. I wiggled them and twisted and they came right off, but be gentle. Did the same thing to my car too. Yeah, I found out about the boots on my Gen3. It actually was a good thing, cause I used the old ones to see how much of the coil wire to trim off. I modded 4.6/5.4 DOHC Accel coils to work in the 3.4.

I have the new Stage 4+X tune 3 bar sensor 160 thermostat' date=' and Airaid CAI. Do not have meth. Plugs are SP 534 gapped at .030. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk [/quote']Thanks You. I will be changing my plug because when I went to track 2weeks ago(at the track) the car stuttering at 5500-6000rpm in 3rd and 4th gear every body think I have a bad plug problem.