Ecoboost Owner Forums

Battery problem

As some of you know my car is at the dealer currently for state inspection. Also, an ugly problem has reared it's head.  Seems that since having the gauges installed, my battery has been going dead after 3-4 days of non-driving.  And it has gotten worst in the cold weather...was dead yesterday after only 2 days of sitting.  I get the feeling that maybe the guy that installed my gauges either has done something to add to the draw of the battery while the car is off or he has the gauges hooked to a constant "hot" so they are drawing power when the car is off.  When it first happened back in July, I assumed my original battery had just given up the ghost, after all it was going on 6 1/2 years old. Got a new Motorcraft Max battery but still have had it go dead like 4 or 5 times since.  Not a happy camper, hopefully the dealer can figure what is drawing the excess power with the car off.  Will be sure to keep everyone updated as I find out what is up.

Car passed state inspection without incident! However, when the dealer checked for parasitic draw, there tester showed a 7 amp draw, and then it blew the fuse in the tester.  Gauges were hooked to a constant hot fuse, so the dealer switched it to a "power only when the car is on" fuse. Should correct the problem..will see in a few days, since I probably will not start the car for at least 3 days and see what is happening.  Just amazed at the amount of draw was being pulled with the car turned off, sure explains why the battery problem.  

mark- that's always the problem with modding cars. luckily when i did my gauges, installer was familiar with crash's pod & was on evo's list of gauge installers. just wish he'd have told me ahead of time that glare really cuts down how well you can see the evo gauges. really love them & work just fine just tough to read when sunny. hope you get it all sorted out. having a bout with chally not wanting to start after sitting a couple days, but took to advance auto & battery checked out fine. got a feeling may have a starter going bad. that car takes a lot of chranking amps to make it turn over unlike the sho. battery is as big as a boat battery.

Mike, my installer was un the authorized installer list for both Glow Shift and for Auto Meter....and I really think if my car was a daily driver the problem would have never shown up until the battery was old and giving out.  I am thankful that it showed up when it did...I haven't driven the car since last Friday, so tomorrow will be a big test to see if the problem is corrected.  BTW, my wife did get me a Black & Decker Powermax battery jumper with compressor for Christmas, just in case! LOL

Great news...went to use the car this morning and it cranked over very strongly...no problem at all!  Remember I had left the car sit since Friday without starting it. So seems like the battery problem has been solved, it was my gauges drawing excess electricity out of the battery while the car was not powered....just glad to have it resolved!

Agreed Todd! I figured when this problem showed, that it was the battery. After all, others were having the original battery die sooner than mine.  But 120 bucks for a new Motorcraft Max was the best battery deal I could find. And just FTI, I am going to take your advice and try to get new tires and sell the old ones regardless of condition so that they remain new. Really like the idea of new tires every 3 years.