Ecoboost Owner Forums

Getting ready to change the PTU Fluid.

I have read almost all of the write ups about changing the PTU Fluid. I do however have one question. I have seen multiple users stating that they "flushed" it out 2-3 times. When flushing it out are they just using new gear oil and cycling it through a few times? or are they actually re filling it up, and driving it around and then changing it again? My car has 53k miles on it and I am pretty sure it has never been changed.

Thanks!

I'm sure the answer to that varies.

You may have some owners, depending on model year, that have the drain incorporated into the housing. Others not so much.

Me personally, I pump/vac out as much old as I can, top it off with fresh. Then call it day.

But I change mine out twice per year, regardless of mileage. Once in the Spring, once in the Fall.

Has been working fine for me thus far.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm sure the answer to that varies.

You may have some owners, depending on model year, that have the drain incorporated into the housing. Others not so much.

Me personally, I pump/vac out as much old as I can, top it off with fresh. Then call it day.

But I change mine out twice per year, regardless of mileage. Once in the Spring, once in the Fall.

Has been working fine for me thus far.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Makes sense. Mine is a 13' PP so I have the drain. I think I'm going to just drain it all. Put fresh in, drive it for 10k and do another change. Hopefully the downpipe removal is easy

I just use the drain plug to refill the PTU.  I have a '13 PP too.  Did it twice last year, worked good for me.  I used a 20OZ clean Coke bottle, fill it up and use my gear oil pump to refill the PTU.  Yes it a little messy, but beats trying to remove that upper fill plug.

Thanks for the idea. Might have to do that instead. My only concern would be how would I know it it was completely full, considering you can't actually top it off by filling from the drain plug.

Understand, when I use the Coke bottle, I fill it to the top with the suction line in so your actually putting more oil in, to cover what is lost in between removing the fill hose till you get the plug in. This has worked for me.

Oh ok, i see. I think I will try this method!! I definitely don't want to have to removed the down pipe, etc.