Ecoboost Owner Forums

First tuning effort report

larrylu

Airaid and tuner arrived on Wednesday. I installed the CAI the same day and took it out for a ride. No noticable difference in performance (seat of the pants) and surprising no noticable increase in sound. Not a bad thing...just surprising to me. I installed the Stage 4+ tune yesterday and had to email Rick at Livernois back and forth a few times. He never lost patience and that boy can communicate. He bounces his emails right back....bless his heart. The last attempt went smoothly start to finish and I took it out for a shake down last night. I'm very pleased with what I found. The car is mostly unchanged from the wonderfull car I bought....just a bit better. It now pulls noticably stronger as the RPM's climb and the low end torque is more compelling. Again just seat of the pants...but obvious. The shifts are a bit crisper but not harsh in the least. I'm very pleased with the changes. I'll be checking the gas mileage to find any changes in that department. Good job Livernois. I would offer this advice to anyone using the Mycal device. Do not use the OBD cable that does not have the lump in it. The two cables included in my shipment seemed identical exept for the lump. They are not labled however Rick tells me the cable with the lump is for Eco-boost cars. Good thing to know!! Thanks to all on this forum who added coments and advice for me pre install for my first tune!

Glad you got the tune and Airaid installed! You have discovered what everyone here already knew, there is no better then Rick and Livernois, you can not beat their service, and Rick really goes above and beyond to be helpful. I think once you live with the tune for a bit and then go back to stock, you will realize how much of an improvement the tune makes the car. Hope you enjoy the mods!

I am pleased. Very pleased. Don't want to go back to stock unless maybe for warrantee reasons. The tune is the first time I have ever felt so noticable a difference in any single mod. Biggest bang for the buck for sure!! A bonus is that the car is as smooth and well mannered as stock. What's not to love!

• 1 month later...

Going to jump on this first tune thread.. Just completed tune after several e-mail to Rick and a call dto SCT tech service. All A-1. Great support. Me-I think I am a klutz when ti comes to thisstuff-but pretty straight forward. NOt much help in SCT documentation.

Went mild with stage 2 to start and then on a quick 5 mile run. Couple entries to four lane wher I could run it some. First time as i entered at low speed and kicked I got a very loud-head jarring bang and lurch. Seemed to be very agressive shift-too much so. Then settled in and next entry was very smooth with a lot more-than stock-power. I like this, but will be concerned about that first shift. Very similar to the reason I had the transmission TSB done a while back. Perhaps I should flash abck to stock and then reflash to stage 2 again. Anyway I am sold-on the tune and on RL and Livernois-Thanks a heap. and a shout out to all on the forum and your many comments that got me going.

Going to jump on this first tune thread.. Just completed tune after several e-mail to Rick and a call dto SCT tech service. All A-1. Great support. Me-I think I am a klutz when ti comes to thisstuff-but pretty straight forward. NOt much help in SCT documentation.

Went mild with stage 2 to start and then on a quick 5 mile run. Couple entries to four lane wher I could run it some. First time as i entered at low speed and kicked I got a very loud-head jarring bang and lurch. Seemed to be very agressive shift-too much so. Then settled in and next entry was very smooth with a lot more-than stock-power. I like this, but will be concerned about that first shift. Very similar to the reason I had the transmission TSB done a while back. Perhaps I should flash abck to stock and then reflash to stage 2 again. Anyway I am sold-on the tune and on RL and Livernois-Thanks a heap. and a shout out to all on the forum and your many comments that got me going.

Stage 3 has no torque management. The down shifts are sometimes bone jarring. If you have access to 93 octane you can run Stage 4. It's a more aggressive tune but does have torque management. It's definitely my favorite of the four tunes available.

After reading your description I couldn't help remembering my SHO before the tranny TSB repair. Don't know if it applies to you but if it does the mods the dealer performed really did the trick for me. BTW my shifts with stage 3 are crisp and solid but not objectionable in any way. Stage 4+ seems to me to be slightly smoother than 3 but still way crisper than stock and I'm loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading your description I couldn't help remembering my SHO before the tranny TSB repair. Don't know if it applies to you but if it does the mods the dealer performed really did the trick for me. BTW my shifts with stage 3 are crisp and solid but not objectionable in any way. Stage 4+ seems to me to be slightly smoother than 3 but still way crisper than stock and I'm loving it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for input. Think I will go to 4+, only concern is octane. Rick indicated his tuner recommends >93. Can't find 94 anymore. Seems others are running 4+ with 93 and no issues.

I also like your Silver Blue Metallic-my twin and, I believe, only year made. Mine is # 91 out of 301 in that color. With yours that is two. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for input. Think I will go to 4+, only concern is octane. Rick indicated his tuner recommends >93. Can't find 94 anymore. Seems others are running 4+ with 93 and no issues.

I've only run 93 with Stage 4+ and it's been the better part of a year now and I have never experienced any problems using 93, it's almost impossible to find anything higher in this area.

I started with stage 3 and went to 4+ and I love LMS and Rick with his awesome customer service. When people say go straight to 4+ they aren't kidding.

You guys and your 4+ tunes :tsk:. Down here in Southern California we install Stage 3 and make believe it's stage 4.

California gas sucks!!:RpS_crying:

Archived