Ecoboost Owner Forums

Computer/car weirdness?

So I'm driving in the rain today and the car freaks out (for lack of a better term). First the dash lights up and says I have coolant temp issue (guage reads Cold not hot). Then there is a charge warning...then the BLIS and Cross traffic systems go off line and stay off line, finally the Traction control shuts itself off and the check engine light came on. Now mind you the car is driving and responding just fine during all of this. The drivetrain never misses a beat so it has to just be sensor or electrical related.

I pulled over shut the car off and restarted it...everything seemed to reset. Kept going a few miles and it happens all over again. I pulled the OBD adapter/reader under the dash (I wasn't using it to scan anything when this happened) as it was all I could think of that could be causing any issues. I reset the car one last time and so far it hasn't come back. My only theory is maybe the adapter malfunctioned and caused craziness on the CAN bus?

The car is pretty much stock at this point so I have no clue what is going on. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm trying to decide if I want to waste my time at the dealership for a problem that will likely be impossible to replicate.

I have not ever experienced this issue (luckily) and haven't, to my knowledge, heard of any other owners having reported a similar occurrence either.

Whether here, or in other communities.

Hopefully someone may be able to offer up an explanation for you though as I am sure this can be quite frustrating.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, I have had the BLISS light up for guide rails, weeds, and hills near the edge of the road, but never anything like you describe, with all the systems going wild. I did have the ACC shut down once in heavy rain, but again, it was back to normal after cleaning the front of the grill and rain letting up. Good luck, hope it's nothing serious.

Might be that a connector is loose and got wet causing a temp short or possibly a ground got wet.

Got any wetness on the carpets indicating a windshield leak or coolant leak?

Not sue where the 'puters are on our SHO's but I know of at least one on my vette that could cause an issue if the casing leaks water inside. Surprise surprise.....It's behind the passenger side front wheel well.

I'd look for a loose connection down low that got wet or a faulty ground.

G/L

C.

BTW -- what did you have plugged into the OBD port? Was it a scanner?

C.

I haven't heard of or read anything like that either.

I have read about some of the Build 1 cars in 2010 just 'turning off', only to restart after stopped on the side of the road and continuing on with no problem.

You should take it to a dealer and let them know. Ford can't fix what they don't know about especially if nobody ever reports them. It will take several reports before it triggers them to act, like those of us that had the weird transmission selection issue or transmission hiccups that were fixed in later TSB's.

Mark

I did take the car to the dealer to fix a leaky seal on the PTU (passenger side axle) and mentioned the electrical problems the car had been having. They hooked it up and definitely confirmed something was a miss as the car was apparently "reporting it had modules that weren't even installed"? Not even sure what that means but at least they agree that something is wrong with it. They let me have the car back for the weekend as they had to get a hold of Ford to figure out how to diagnose the car...hopefully they will be able to figure it out. I hope they hurry up so I can get on with "other" plans to modify my car. :)

Archived