Ecoboost Owner Forums

16k Mile SHO Engine Disassembled at Livernois

We purchased a good, running 16k mile take-out engine from a 2010 Taurus SHO for engine development. This will lead to some exciting things... :biggrin1:

I was going to document the entire tear-down, unfortunately the guys in engine build got excited to see what was inside..

Bad quality cell phone photo with valve covers removed

photocopy.jpg

Block

DSC_1151copy.jpg

DSC_1152copy.jpg

DSC_1154copy.jpg

Crankshaft

DSC_1138copy.jpg

DSC_1139copy.jpg

Rod/Piston

DSC_1141copy.jpg

DSC_1140copy.jpg

DSC_1142copy.jpg

Cylinder Head

DSC_1146copy.jpg

DSC_1147copy.jpg

Intake

DSC_1145copy.jpg

DSC_1144copy.jpg

Exhaust

DSC_1115copy.jpg

DSC_1116copy.jpg

Blurry photo... just for size reference

DSC_1119copy.jpg

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc

Livernois Motorsports

Great photos. I can't wait to see what idea's you have for improving this engine. Still, I am very surprised at the small diameter of the exhaust manifolds, they have got to be very restrictive...seems like headers would be a great way to improve breathing along with the ported heads.

Great photos. I can't wait to see what idea's you have for improving this engine. Still' date=' I am very surprised at the small diameter of the exhaust manifolds, they have got to be very restrictive...seems like headers would be a great way to improve breathing along with the ported heads.[/quote']

sorry if this is a newbie question... but if you increase the exhaust diameter, would you decrease the exhaust gas velocity.... which would in turn might cause some noticeable turbo lag?

sorry if this is a newbie question... but if you increase the exhaust diameter' date=' would you decrease the exhaust gas velocity.... which would in turn might cause some noticeable turbo lag?[/quote']

That's a good question and probably the reason they are so small from the factory. I imagine increasing diameter will cause the turbos to spool slower, but with guys interested in ported heads and larger turbos, it will probably be a restriction.

Cool beans Rick! Your going to have to let me take a look at that intake. There is boss behind the thermostat with a green dot on it I am curious if it could be drill and tap for a temp sensor.

Feel free to stop by and check it out.

-Rick

Archived